Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2009
I've had an iPhone 4 since they came out and I always got good battery life. My phone routine on the weekdays is almost always the same and I would usually have 50-60% battery left when leaving work. Currently it's at 5% and the past month has been like this. My usage is the same as ever. Could a little over 2 years be the time span of this battery? Anyone else having this problem?

jetblk328i

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Interesting, I have been noticing this recently as well. I used to be 15% or so by the time I head off to bed and start charging overnight. Now I'll be 15% before dinner time, roughly 5 hours before my typical charging time.

Looked at some battery apps and I'm now at about 1263 mah instead of the 1420 mah when it was brand new. Lost just over 11% in a year and a half. :( :( :(

Hurry up Apple!

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I dont know about the older battery idea in this instance. I just got my 4 replaced 3 weeks ago (home button fail) and it had amazing battery life until three days ago and it just started draining like crazy. I reset my network settings and that didnt help at all. Im not sure what to do except a full restore which I really dont want to do.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Isn't it after 400 charges or something, the battery drops to 80% charging capacity? Could be completely wrong...

But according to that, after about 2 years, your capacity would be at around 50-60% percent, meaning it holds near half charge of what it used to when it was brand new.

I think that's how it works, anyways. I apologize if I am wrong. :cool:

Last edited:

gpezzino

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
I dont know about the older battery idea in this instance. I just got my 4 replaced 3 weeks ago (home button fail) and it had amazing battery life until three days ago and it just started draining like crazy. I reset my network settings and that didnt help at all. Im not sure what to do except a full restore which I really dont want to do.

Same here. This is not just normal battery wear and tear. I updated over 20 apps all at the same time a couple of days ago. Since then, my battery life is incredibly low - today I hardly used the phone at all and I am down to 20%! I suspect that one of my apps is causing that but I have no idea which one....

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
May just be in my head but I feel that sometimes my battery sucks. I let it completely die then charge it too 100% then it seems better.

Replacing the battery isn't that terribly difficult either.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
While all technology has a "shelf life", the battery in your iPhone shouldn't lose very much over a 2 year period.
Usually, you'll find that through reports of battery loss many are cured or made better by doing a restore as new.

Try this action if no others improve your situation.

iHelios

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
My 3GS from 2009 still puts out 5 to 6 hours of usage with 1.5 to 2 days of standby. I would do what others have mentioned and do a restore before trying to replace anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.