Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I personally think the Animation UI lagging bug is a serious issue on rMBP because this machine cost $2000 and up and it lags on UI features such as Mission Control and Space Switching while classic Macbook pros don't. I do understand that the retina display models carries a high resolution display, but I think the quad core CPU should have the ability to handle it (please correct me if I am wrong). Running discrete card will have a better, smoother performance, but it drains battery a lot more quicker while on battery.

MacRumors is a popular website that many Mac users visit and hopefully some Apple Application engineers as well.

I am hoping and asking anyone experiencing the issue to follow up with this thread and post your concerns. There are some scatter threads about this issue and I am trying to get everyone involve into a single power thread. That way we can raise Apple's Concern on this issue. I really want to make this serious and hope for a fix soon....You may also submit a feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

[Update] I think it's a bug from the Integrated Intel 4000. Because forcing the discrete video card to run at all times makes the system run smoother, but it will significantly decreases the battery life.

p.s. Please excuse me for any grammar errors

Last edited:

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I personally think the UI lagging bug is a serious issue on rMBP because this machine cost $2000 and up and it lags on UI features such as Mission Control and Space Switching while classic Macbook pros don't. I do understand that the retina display models carries a high resolution display, but I think the quad core CPU should have the ability to handle it (please correct me if I am wrong). Running discrete card will have a better, smoother performance, but it drains battery a lot more quicker while on battery.

MacRumors is a popular website that many Mac users visit and hopefully some Apple Application engineers as well.

I am hoping and asking anyone experiencing the issue to follow up with this thread and post your concerns. That way we can raise Apple's Concern on this issue. I really want to make this serious and hope for a fix soon....

p.s. Please excuse me for any grammar errors

This also happens on the base iMac 2010 model; no issues with 2011 MBP though

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Thought I was the only one. Mission Control - one of my favorite and most used features - lags horribly. I'm on a rMBP.

VacantPsalm

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2010
Yay, thread about this. Info: rMBP base model with 16gig RAM. Had no problems with Lion.

As I mentioned in the other thread. 10 Safari windows is FAR worse than having 10 tabs open in one window. Testing if it's just Safari or I have like 20 text edit windows open if I get the same problem.

Edit: Eh, 17+ random apps each with a window open lags a bit. 21 Text edit windows does better. 14 Safari windows is worse. Having the windows in another space also seems to help, still not good.

Last edited:

hYu

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
I experience this as well on my Baseline MBP Retina. Also its slightly choppy/laggy when scrolling on almost every other app e.g. reminders, iTunes, Mail, 3rd party apps, etc. except for Safari.

Could it be because it's pushing like 5 Million pixels at an insane resolution?

Hmmm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe they need to implement Core Animation into everything, because Safari has core animation and it is holy cow LIGHTNING FAST. Would this also drain the battery more as well?

Hopefully its just a software issue though and will be fixed later, maybe when 10.8.1 comes out or something.

BUT what we should do atleast is ACTUALLY TAKE ACTION directly, send Apple some feedback rather than just moan and whine here, which doesn't really fix the problem anyways.

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I experience this as well on my Baseline MBP Retina. Also its slightly choppy/laggy when scrolling on almost every other app e.g. reminders, iTunes, Mail, 3rd party apps, etc. except for Safari.

Could it be because it's pushing like 5 Million pixels at an insane resolution?

Hmmm...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe they need to implement Core Animation into everything, because Safari has core animation and it is holy cow LIGHTNING FAST. Would this also drain the battery more as well?

Hopefully its just a software issue though and will be fixed later, maybe when 10.8.1 comes out or something.

BUT what we should do atleast is ACTUALLY TAKE ACTION directly, send Apple some feedback rather than just moan and whine here, which doesn't really fix the problem anyways.

i did post another thread in the Apple tech support community. Trying everything i can possibly do to make the fix happen anytime soon.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I have the 2.3ghz with 16gb of memory for the retina macbook and Mountain Lion. The only lag I notice is flipping pages in iCal and opening up the APPS folder on my dock. Hopefully it will improve with another update.

Mind you if you run your Retina Macbook pro at the 2880x1800 resolution using setResX it runs liquid smooth. But everything is bloody tiny !! :)

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I have the 2.3ghz with 16gb of memory for the retina macbook and Mountain Lion. The only lag I notice is flipping pages in iCal and opening up the APPS folder on my dock. Hopefully it will improve with another update.

Mind you if you run your Retina Macbook pro at the 2880x1800 resolution using setResX it runs liquid smooth. But everything is bloody tiny !! :)

Yea, it does run smooth at 2880x1800. but it is almost impossible to read...

Adil Aziz

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
i'm having the same issue on my macbook air 2011 (actually the reason why i made an account here) hope there is a fix soon.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I'm on a rMBP (base model, no upgrades) and I'm not experiencing any of the UI lag described here.

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I'm on a rMBP (base model, no upgrades) and I'm not experiencing any of the UI lag described here.

Open several apps and try to use mission control (4 fingers swipe up and swipe back).. or use Space switching Control + Left, right Arrow.. or used 4 fingers( swipe left and right)

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
+1 for opening post. We paid $2000++ and we have to worry about UI lags that are non-existent on older MBPs? :mad: did Apple even try stuffs on their machines before they released them into the wild?

pepede

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
The same situation happens on 2011 Macbook pro 13 which is equiped only in intel hd 3000.
I have UI lags for example when Im moving between full screen apps

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
For me I can live with the lag on the Intel, but on the Nvidia it shouldn't be there

switching spaces there is no lag, on the nvidia, if it's between fullscreen apps. Switching to a desktop and there is a pretty big lag.

They really should fix this. It's an eyesore.

parlour

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Strange, I’m really not experiencing any lag on the rMBP (base model) – except in iTunes where scrolling is slightly choppy.

What are the circumstances under which you experience it?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Safari 6.0 in ML fixed all the scrolling issues, but the UI itself can be laggy at times. Especially VLC when you are trying to go to full screen on a high res video and such.

I think devs need to take more advantage of Core Animation and such because this is annoying for such a high dollar machine, not to mention, something with a gig of VRAM and 16gb of regular RAM.

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
It gets slower the more windows with more CoreAnimation layers that you have while on the Intel GPU. It's a driver bug. I bet we'll see a fix soon.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
The same situation happens on 2011 Macbook pro 13 which is equiped only in intel hd 3000.
I have UI lags for example when Im moving between full screen apps

I have the same setup and not experiencing any lags. I've got a quite a few apps open, all in full screen, and switching is smooth (as it was in Lion).

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I notice no lag? I have 10 tabs open in safari, the mac app store, mail, notes, iTunes, iPhoto, iMessages open as well. Am also downloading a 4gb game from Mac App Store

No issues going in to Mission Control, or any other lag for that matter. Safari is butterly smooth as well when scrolling:confused:

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I notice no lag? I have 10 tabs open in safari, the mac app store, mail, notes, iTunes, iPhoto, iMessages open as well. Am also downloading a 4gb game from Mac App Store

No issues going in to Mission Control, or any other lag for that matter. Safari is butterly smooth as well when scrolling:confused:

I think some people do not see lag is noticeable? I have tried a few rMBP from my friends and they do lag.

There is another issue discovered regarding on the graphical issue. Every time you boot into the system, a black or grey screen will appear before your system is completely logged in. as discussing in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1413078/

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I think some people do not see lag is noticeable? I have tried a few rMBP from my friends and they do lag.

There is another issue discovered regarding on the graphical issue. Every time you boot into the system, a black or grey screen will appear before your system is completely logged in. as discussing in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1413078/

My work issued HP Elitebook running Win7 - now that has lag on graphical intense webpages so I do know what I am looking for.

I did notice Lag with my RMBP at the start before I had applied updates etc but since then no real issues - yes I imagine if I went on facebook and scrolled the screen at a gazillion miles and hour I may experience lag, but as I don't view webpages like that I don't see it as an issue to me.

dbyway

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Utah
I have the rMBP and haven't had one issue with this. I don't think it's universal really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.