Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Report the post and request the deletion and a moderator will review your request :)

Couldn't you go to Edit and delete the message in the post, and then just show an empty post on the thread? :confused:

It would show that something was once posted there, but there would be no content.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetMage

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Couldn't you go to Edit and delete the message in the post, and then just show an empty post on the tread? :confused:

It would show that something was once posted there, but there would be no content.

Please don't do that. It can destroy the flow of the thread.

Just report the post and ask a moderator to take a look. :)

• Angry

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Please don't do that. It can destroy the flow of the thread.

Just report the post and ask a moderator to take a look. :)

Sorry, annk.:eek:

I mistakenly thought that simply removing unwanted post content was simpler and didn't really need Mod intervention, as Mods have other tasks at hand.

Wait...to deal with my bad suggestion... just remove my post!! :p :D

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Sorry, annk.:eek:

I mistakenly thought that simply removing unwanted post content was simpler and didn't really need Mod intervention, as Mods have other tasks at hand.

Wait...to deal with my bad suggestion... just remove my post!! :p :D

No biggie. :) It's just unfortunate when a member goes through a thread and deletes the content of all his or her posts.

I'm sure you're not the only person who wondered about this!

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Report the post (click the
report.gif
) and one of the mods will delete it.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Why, are you planning to report perfectly good posts at random?

I think He is wanting to delete one of HIS OWN posts. It's not offensive, he just wants it gone.

THe correct thing to do would be to request a moderator delete the post for you.

Contact one of these moderators through these methods mentioned here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/370725/

:) Hope this helps!

• Angry

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
will i get in trouble for making false reports if I do that?
No, if you simply want to delete a post you made, reporting the post is the proper way to do it. You won't get in any trouble. The same goes if you want a thread you started moved to a more appropriate forum.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Edit>go advanced> delete..Giving a reason in the text box below the dialogue box.

You have to be on the FIRST and original post to do this.

Hmmm...I don't need to go advanced edit, just the "mini edit" I suppose. I've deleted my posts without giving reason. However, the only thing I can't delete is when is when I've started a thread.

I tried going through your instructions and I don't see a delete option at all in the advanced edit page.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Edit>go advanced> delete..Giving a reason in the text box below the dialogue box.

You have to be on the FIRST and original post to do this.
You don't need to Go Advanced. The Delete button appears as soon as you click Edit on any post you make, not just the first or original post in a thread. This option is only available to contributors.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I believe only Demi-Gods and Contributors have the ability to delete their own posts.
That's correct. Contributors tend to be the more informed and longer-term forum members who can use the feature safely. In contrast, we've gotten burned when we allowed the full membership to delete their own posts, because they would delete an entire thread that they had started (by deleting the first post) if they didn't like the way the thread was going, causing everyone else to lose their posts in that thread. So the moderators delete posts on request but make sure an entire thread won't be lost.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2005
CA
As already stated a few times in this thread, that option is only available to those who have contributed to MacRumors.

The whole thing is bloody ridiculous to be able to delete a post. Just create a delete button so that members don't have to be posting tumultuous amount of posts, trying to find out on how to delete a post. Why make things more complicated than they are?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.