Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
Don't get me wrong. The S3 is a fantastic phone...just not for me. I'm an Apple fanboi through and through. Since I sold my 4s, I'm returning the phone today to try to get another 4s.

Has anyone else had similar stories? Tried something new but went right back to iPhone? I'm trying not to feel crazy and stupid.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I think it's fairly common to have the urge to try something new. We do it for most things in life. However, in your case, admitting to be fanboy, I am surprised you even tried.

llfloyd79

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Va. Beach, VA.
I did the same thing. I went to Galaxy S3 and in 4 days came back to iphone 4S. Like you said, the Galaxy S3 is a great phone....really great, but its something about iphone that just keeps drawing me in lol. I will admit, I do miss the screen size of the Galaxy S3 compared to the iphone screen size.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I think it's fairly common to have the urge to try something new. We do it for most things in life. However, in your case, admitting to be fanboy, I am surprised you even tried.

Thought I could pull off the switch and enjoy the bigger screen, but I missed my iOS, so that made the bigger screen pointless to me. At least I can say I tried I guess.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
At least you tried something different and now you know the 4S is the phone for you.

Personally I tried the S3 and loved it. The lesson I learned is to not just blindly buy the same brand year after year but to actually choose the one that is best for me out of all that is available.

When Apple produce a new iPhone (as in redesigned and new feeling rather than the same iOS etc.), I'm sure I'll be back.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
At least you tried something different and now you know the 4S is the phone for you.

Personally I tried the S3 and loved it. The lesson I learned is to not just blindly buy the same brand year after year but to actually choose the one that is best for me out of all that is available.

When Apple produce a new iPhone (as in redesigned and new feeling rather than the same iOS etc.), I'm sure I'll be back.

Glad you like it. It is a wonderful phone and would serve me very well if I weren't such a fanboi lol. The bigger screen is nice. I just don't like the simple things (the notification system...email system etc).

I even have a reputation at work. "Here comes the Apple Store." I'm such a junkie.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Glad you like it. It is a wonderful phone and would serve me very well if I weren't such a fanboi lol. The bigger screen is nice. I just don't like the simple things (the notification system...email system etc).

I even have a reputation at work. "Here comes the Apple Store." I'm such a junkie.

Just curious, so your reason for trying the GS3 was because of the larger screen. That said, will you be content with a new iPhone with a slightly larger screen?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Just curious, so your reason for trying the GS3 was because of the larger screen. That said, will you be content with a new iPhone with a slightly larger screen?

Obviously if he likes the bigger screen. It's good he found what works best for him and what he likes rather than just blindly choosing one brand.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Don't get me wrong. The S3 is a fantastic phone...just not for me. I'm an Apple fanboi through and through. Since I sold my 4s, I'm returning the phone today to try to get another 4s.

Has anyone else had similar stories? Tried something new but went right back to iPhone? I'm trying not to feel crazy and stupid.

My question: Why did you sell the 4S if you weren't sure you'd like the Galaxy S3?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I did the same thing with the HTC One X. I didn't sell my 4s though so it wasn't difficult to switch back. The One X had a really good screen but I still couldn't help but feel it was a slight step backwards. I was going to try the s3 but I will wait till the iPhone 5 is announced to make a decision.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
My question: Why did you sell the 4S if you weren't sure you'd like the Galaxy S3?

Stupidity mostly....finances another....but mostly stupidity...I actually felt very sure of myself until I had it for a few days. I was very captivated by it, but found myself missing iOS for the design and day to day use...plus I found the voice command function dreadful. I was using Siri day to day in my car to make voice calls or dictate texts hands free. To say s voice wasn't cutting it is an understatement.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Stupidity mostly....finances another....but mostly stupidity...I actually felt very sure of myself until I had it for a few days. I was very captivated by it, but found myself missing iOS for the design and day to day use...plus I found the voice command function dreadful. I was using Siri day to day in my car to make voice calls or dictate texts hands free. To say s voice wasn't cutting it is an understatement.

I love the s3 but nobody could disagree with you when you rightly say that s-voice really is a poor attempt at voice control. Will be interesting to see what samsung will do when google now is released

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really like the SGS 3. I keep returning to the store to check them out, spending about half hour each time. I however just cannot pull the trigger on it. I've been in the process of simplifying my life and detaching myself from tech (focusing more on family, doing stuff outdoors) and I remember the days of using Android (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt) and I remember spending way too much time fixing issues, tweaking my phone, customizing and stuff. The simplistic aspect of the iPhone is much more appealing nowadays.

Even though iOS 6 isn't the overhaul I was hoping for, they are addressing pretty much all of my other quibbles with iOS. And now that Google is releasing the full on Google Maps experience like on Android, that eliminates the one app I have been missing from Android.

rican

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
Party in the USA
I too tried the SG3 and returned it within 3 hours. Android is not for me, however the phone itself is aesthetically beautiful, screen size was wondrous, apps looked great, but not for me...

i admittedly am an iphone/apple fan. :/

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I really like the SGS 3. I keep returning to the store to check them out, spending about half hour each time. I however just cannot pull the trigger on it. I've been in the process of simplifying my life and detaching myself from tech (focusing more on family, doing stuff outdoors) and I remember the days of using Android (Droid, Droid X, Galaxy S, Thunderbolt) and I remember spending way too much time fixing issues, tweaking my phone, customizing and stuff. The simplistic aspect of the iPhone is much more appealing nowadays.

Even though iOS 6 isn't the overhaul I was hoping for, they are addressing pretty much all of my other quibbles with iOS. And now that Google is releasing the full on Google Maps experience like on Android, that eliminates the one app I have been missing from Android.

Is that official? And will apple try to block or limit Google maps app?

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
I too tried the SG3 and returned it within 3 hours. Android is not for me, however the phone itself is aesthetically beautiful, screen size was wondrous, apps looked great, but not for me...

i admittedly am an iphone/apple fan. :/

I felt the same. So I'm not crazy?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
It is refreshing to see some honest posts on here, instead of the typical troll bait trash talk. I respect those of you that gave Android a try, but just knew it wasn't for you. Android def isn't for everyone and the iPhone and iOS are great products. The iPhone just isn't for me anymore, after using the S3. The wonderful thing is, we have plenty of choices to decide what we want. I hope that doesn't ever go away.

Again, thank you all for not trashing other products in your posts. Much appreciated.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Not everyone is able to buy a new phone out of pocket... :confused:

The OP has already debunked that as the reason, but just to reply to you...

Where I come from, if you can't afford a thing, you don't buy it. Thus if one wants to try the Galaxy S3, you might consider buying the phone with a new contract and take advantage of the 14-day return policy if you really must try it. IF you don't have $200, then you do without.

Mac?Daddy

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Alberta
I decided to try the galaxy s3 as well as I was switching carriers. I walked into the store having some some research and compared the s3 and 4s and expected to leave with the iPhone. As soon as I picked up the galaxy (having never actually held one) I just had to ipulse buy it.
I thought I would regret it within hours and be back in the store begging to switch back, but the remorse never came. I've had an iPhone since the day they came to
Canada and really thought I would never go to another phone, but at least in my mind this phone and OS is far better than anything I've experienced from apple.
I must say, however, that I've spent the last 4 odd years modding the hell out of my iPhones, which is probably why the Droid is more appealing to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.