Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Hey everyone. On Messages, Ive encountered an issue where the icon in the dock shows I have 1 unread message. Thing is, I have no open messages. Im not sure if I closed one without clicking on it first or what.

From what Ive noticed, if I have say, 4 unread messages and I open the app up, then click on the message window containing those 4 unread messages... it will drop the number on the badge. If I click out of messages, the number goes back up. Its like its not permanently marking them as read when I click that message box.

Any ideas???

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
This has been happening to me too recently (on Lion).

I found a sort of a temporary fix though: Open up Terminal and type: "killall Dock" without the quotes and that fixes the problem for me.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This has been happening to me too recently (on Lion).

I found a sort of a temporary fix though: Open up Terminal and type: "killall Dock" without the quotes and that fixes the problem for me.

That does fix it but it's annoying having to keep doing it and it happens several times a day to me.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Are you running Lion? I think the Messages app in Mountain Lion fixes the problem. I don't have this problem anymore.

It happened to me in Lion and now also in Mountain Lion. I did an upgrade, not a clean install so that might be the issue but Apple shouldn't expect everyone to be doing a clean install anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.