Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If you do manage to get it going, please let me know. As much as I like the Silver Bar, I would really like to try out something new..

mirage works, let me do this (an invisible dock):

dockML.jpg

i miss what i had in lion (with the scurve files gone...a clear but reflective dock). but this will do...until i figure something else out. :D

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
Just wanted to let everyone know, using the DP3 dock works. However, it caused issues/glitches for me. I put the old dock back and repaired permissions, I'm going to try putting the customized one in again and repairing permissions.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of cache that causes ML to automatically change the scurve files back... It can't just be getting them from nowhere.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Just for those who are wanting to change their OSX Lion Dock to ML,

1. Download these files here

2. Go to Macintosh HD > /System/Library/Core Services/

3. Scroll down to Dock and copy this to the desktop as a backup

4. Then right click this and "Show Package Contents"

5. Go to /Contents/Resources/

6. Drag the downloaded files in here and "Replace" them

7. Open Terminal and type: killall Dock

8. Enjoy!

P.S. To revert back, copy back the files from the one on the desktop-"Show Package Contents", go to /Contents/Resources/ find the files... etc.

If you forgot to back up, you're stuffed... Nah jokes :p Download the whole file here

Thanks to http://leoparddocks.com/ for the dock (find more docks here)
Also thanks to jji7skyline for the dock :p

Ok... in step 4, you are not working in your copied out file, you are working in the actual file in /System/Library/Core Services/

Last edited:

Whatabloke

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Just for those who are wanting to change their OSX Lion Dock to ML,

1. Download these files here

2. Go to Macintosh HD > /System/Library/Core Services/

3. Scroll down to Dock and copy this to the desktop as a backup

4. Then right click this and "Show Package Contents"

5. Go to /Contents/Resources/

6. Drag the downloaded files in here and "Replace" them

7. Open Terminal and type: killall Dock

8. Enjoy!

P.S. To revert back, copy back the files from the one on the desktop-"Show Package Contents", go to /Contents/Resources/ find the files... etc.

If you forgot to back up, you're stuffed... Nah jokes :p Download the whole file here

Thanks to http://leoparddocks.com/ for the dock (find more docks here)
Also thanks to jji7skyline for the dock :p

Did you actually get this to work. This was the first thing most of us tried and it would not get rid of the Silver Bar in ML . I personally got the indicators to change and that was it. If you did get it to work, can you show us you dock image please.

Cheers
Whatabloke

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i don't think that works, seems the silver shelf resources are somewhere else... (insert spooky music when reading the italicized words i just wrote)

darkiller

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2010
meh. just upgraded to mountain lion and the 1st thing i wanted to dock is change back my dock. not that i don't like the new dock, but its kinda plain and boring for me.

do share if anyone figures a way out thanks! :D

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Ok here ya go

But, the reflections don't work :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-31 at 09.20.20.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-31 at 09.20.20.png
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 852

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Ok here ya go

But, the reflections don't work :(

Did you experience any issues with Exposé and Mission Control? Last time I modded the new dock it negated the ability to uncheck "Group all windows by application". I couldn't care less about reflections, as long as I can get a black layer on I'm golden :).

Thanks!

----------

Did you actually get this to work. This was the first thing most of us tried and it would not get rid of the Silver Bar in ML . I personally got the indicators to change and that was it.

Ditto on the indicators, I was able to change them to the glowing orbs, which made a difference in itself. However, nada on the dock.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
mirage works, let me do this (an invisible dock):

i miss what i had in lion (with the scurve files gone...a clear but reflective dock). but this will do...until i figure something else out. :D

How do you make a transparent dock in Mountain Lion with Mirage, and then change it back to the default ML one?

elysium1111

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I tried using this, but it didn't work correctly. To put my dock back to the way it was, i clicked restore 3d defaults, and it messed up the indicator lights... Is there a way to fix this? Or does anyone have an image that I can use to make it look normal?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 10.19.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-25 at 10.19.50 PM.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 183

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Looks horrible.

No offense. I respect what you choose to like or hate. But I think he was trying to show us how to change dock picture. He didn't say or necessarily mean that he likes the look of that particular dock, which you think is horrible. And it is not polite to say other's work "look horrible", while he made his contribution, but you did none.

There are many users who love to customize their system. But since the changes took place in ML and candybar discontinued, many's ability to customize was greatly limited. It is wonderful to know that customizing dock is feasible and easy again.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
This is a great program. Also good for making a classic look and making dock go away. (except trash and finder and what you open)

miquee

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
I tried using this, but it didn't work correctly. To put my dock back to the way it was, i clicked restore 3d defaults, and it messed up the indicator lights... Is there a way to fix this? Or does anyone have an image that I can use to make it look normal?

I have the same problem, did you find a solution?

unsanity77

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
I was able to get the look I was going for on Mountain Lion, but it required patching the Dock binary. I'd be willing to share how I was able to do it for those who absolutely just have to have a different color dock (like me).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-23 at 1.11.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-23 at 1.11.47 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 519

unsanity77

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
Just the standard icons... one thing at a time lol. Still tweaking the frontline now to fit in with the new dock color.

Jeeebus

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
I was able to get the look I was going for on Mountain Lion, but it required patching the Dock binary. I'd be willing to share how I was able to do it for those who absolutely just have to have a different color dock (like me).

Like you I absolutely HAVE TO change the dock color. I was considering reverting back to Lion when I found out the dock couldn't be changed anymore. Could you explain how you did it?

Mithical

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Midwest
OK, got a clear Dock, but not the same on 2 macs!

So I fiddled and tinkered, and finally managed to get a completely clear dock (as below) on my iMac (ML 10.8.2). I tried the "Black Dock" terminal mod posted here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1495519/ and got nothing. I tried Dock designer, got nothing. I tried Mirage, and suddenly, dock is gone! Sweet! I used Candy bar to plunk in some better indicator graphics (it's using the "simple" indicators, the ones used by the 2D, side-mounted dock, but I"m OK with that.)

mldock-imac.png

So, I ran Mirage on my MacBook Pro, then used CB to swap indicators. (Same OS, ML 10.8.2). However, no matter what I do, even repeating all the unsuccessful previous attempts I ran through on the iMac, I get the 2D dock with the border (as below)! I cannot get that sucker to go away on the MBPro, nor can I get it to appear on the iMac.

mldock-mbpro.png

Now I'm completely stumped. Any ideas?

(I apologize for the huge images - I haven't figured out how to scale them. Sorry!)

Last edited:

adn78

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Lisbon

Amanda2321

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013

I would like to know please I have tried just about everything and I still cant get a cooler looking dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.