Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
To keep my DVDs. I just packed them all in boxes in preparation to move. About 300 in all. 98% are ripped and stored for use on ATV. I am trying to figure out if I will actually ever take them out again. I have a select few Blu-rays, but most are duplicates. Even my wife says, why keep the discs, we can use the ATV.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you only keep them on a drive, I'd keep a backup of that drive. I keep my DVDs after ripping, to loan to friends and family, and as an additional backup.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I keep only brand new 3D and Blu-Ray originals, and classic box sets..The rest I gave to a buddy. I am now debating getting rid of my CD's too..they are all in my itunes library, and I buy almost all my music from there now too. My CD collection runs to 5 racks 15 shelves per rack, and I just never play them now. MY vinyl is a different story though...Hanging on to that.

I also have 2 large boxes full of Windows games...Classics, boxed sets etc, that I've been trying to sell...It all just takes up space!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How about this?

H.264 will not be THE codec forever. There will come a time when you may want to re-rip them all to whatever replaces H.264. It's called H.265 or HEVC and boasts keeping about the same quality in file sizes about half as large as H.264. The target date for ratification is early 2013. Here's more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

If you are a quality maximization type of guy, you don't want to waste a generation of quality by doing such a re-rip from those H.264 files. Instead, you'll want to go back to the master copy.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Half the file size same quality will probably do it. I have them on a 3TB drive with a backup as well, but even it is getting full. Re-ripping certainly would be a pain and time I don't really want to spend again, but it might be worth it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Half the file size same quality will probably do it. I have them on a 3TB drive with a backup as well, but even it is getting full. Re-ripping certainly would be a pain and time I don't really want to spend again, but it might be worth it.

It is...Rip in top quality...HDD's are cheap, and you can always add storage. I have mine stored on my Pegasus R4 and might consider buying an R8 later this year as my movie collection expands.

Attachments

• Pegasus.jpg
    Pegasus.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 310

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
count me in on the pessimistic side of life. even if you bought now all DVD/CD you never know what happen to copyright law in the future. ok to rip them on a disk (or NAS in my case) for easy access but I would keep them as evidence that you "own" the copies (not getting into the discussion that we don't own it anyway).
Externally stored to reduce space at home is fine; but keeping.

Old stuff I know fore sure I don't want anymore: sell it, throw it away.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
I just realized for most of my music I have a copy on my hard drive, on my Time Machine backup, and online within iCloud, Google and Amazon. :eek:

I think at a certain point I'm going to let my physical media go and reclaim all the physical space those boxes take up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.