Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
I can't keep track of the names.

So I'll tell you the version numbers. I have a MacBook running 10.6 with dual boot option for 10.4. I need 10.4 because my favorite image stitching program (PTMac) doesn't run on anything later than that (I think. It may run on 10.5.) I also have an iMac that boots in 10.5 and now 10.8. It used to have 10.5 and 10.7 but I updated to 10.8 and like 10.8. It feels quicker.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
I bought my MacBook Pro last June knowing that Lion 10.7 would probably be released in July because I still wanted to be able to run a stable OS while Lion proved it's worth. The more I read about it the less I wanted to run it. I got a free upgrade from Apple for Lion when it came out and it's sitting here on my hard drive. I couldn't believe when all the talk of Mountain Lion started and the fact that it would be released this July. I figured with the MacBook Pro and Snow Leopard that I would have at least until 2013 to worry about Apple abandoning my OS of choice but what did I know.

So, now, here I sit reading all about Mountain Lion wondering what is to become of me and others using Snow Leopard. I don't have a cell phone let alone an iPhone. I don't have an iPod or an iPad or an AppleTV. I don't have any use for iCloud or all the shared iOS features. Other than the fact that it's an active OS and will be updated for at least a year I see no reason to upgrade to it. I'm concerned about the fact that Snow Leopard, as well as Safari, iLife and iWork has been abandoned for those of choosing to stay with an OS we prefer. I'm not a troll, I've been using Macs since '93 but I'm seriously thinking of getting a Windows notebook to replace my MacBook Pro sooner rather than later as I no longer see in a future for me with Apple.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I have a 2007 Core 2 Duo iMac 2,16 Ghz, and upgraded to Lion because I got a new iPhone and iPad, and wanted to use iCloud. Big *********** mistake.
Not only it became too laggy to correctly use the new features, but also to use everything I already had on Snow Leopard.

Of course, Apple being what it is, I cannot revert back to Snow Leopard without reformatting everything. So to use new features on my phone I also have to upgrade my computer, even though many of them could be easily implemented on SL (like having a Mail App compatible with iCloud). Thanks, Apple!

So, no, you're not alone, I'll soon go back to Snow Leopard, until I upgrade my iMac to a Mac Mini.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Dewguy - I'm getting this same sentiment from a LOT of long-time users. I had my first Mac in 1994, and while I later switched to Windows due to necessity, never lost my interest / favor in Apple. Just my job necessitated I use a PC. I returned to Apple full time in 2005 and didn't look back.

However, I'm starting to now - and seemingly at the same time - Windows seems to be upping their game. (no interest in 8, but have interest in 7)

The major thing is the fact that XP is still supported - while my ~ 2 year old OSX is not, changes the game for me. Programs that I have to repurchase or ditch due to the "improved" OS breaking them isn't very fun. 10.7, 10.8 can't do anything I need, that even 10.4 could not.

The fact I really don't like to stare in the face, is a lot the early adopters are sharing this same sentiment... Are we the first to leave because we see what's ahead? Or have we just become old and grumpy?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Dewguy - I'm getting this same sentiment from a LOT of long-time users. I had my first Mac in 1994, and while I later switched to Windows due to necessity, never lost my interest / favor in Apple. Just my job necessitated I use a PC. I returned to Apple full time in 2005 and didn't look back.

However, I'm starting to now - and seemingly at the same time - Windows seems to be upping their game. (no interest in 8, but have interest in 7)

The major thing is the fact that XP is still supported - while my ~ 2 year old OSX is not, changes the game for me. Programs that I have to repurchase or ditch due to the "improved" OS breaking them isn't very fun. 10.7, 10.8 can't do anything I need, that even 10.4 could not.

The fact I really don't like to stare in the face, is a lot the early adopters are sharing this same sentiment... Are we the first to leave because we see what's ahead? Or have we just become old and grumpy?

I don't think it's being old and grumpy as much as we've been there and done that before and don't see the need to do it again. First it was the change from the the classic OS to OS X, then it was the change from PowerPC to Intel and now it's the change from Mac OS X to OS X or Macified iOS or whatever it will become. Each change has entailed spending more money and many times it's just to be able to do what you could already do before. Windows users are still out there running XP with support from Microsoft while we keep being abandoned by the company that many of us have supported and even evangelized long before it was cool and what do we get for it?

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Lion and probably Mountain Lion will knock out too many things i need and use.
I tried Lion but i found my scanner would't work my printer lost the all
important "off no colour management" if i updated the printer driver.
Various other items would not work so i back pedalled to SL.
My concern is that Snow Leopard may not be supported with security updates for much longer as is usual with MAC OSX that is two versions old
The buying of the new software is a good deal until you realise all the trouble and expense to upgrading everything else in your system.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
SL The Pinnacle Of OS X, Prior To iOS Integration.

I'm with Big-TDI-Guy & DewGuy1999.

My first Mac was a new 1991 PowerBook 170, running system 7. It was a terrific start, one that was so enjoyable I was immediately moved to migrate from PC to Mac. Embracing the Mac 100%, I proceeded to upgrade to a new PowerBook each year till Apple killed off the name. Next up was MacBook Pro, same great Apple experience.

Fast forward to today. I'm completely satisfied with 10.6.8

That said I'm very concerned with the direction Apple is taking. From a sheer business standpoint, I understand why they are doing, what they are doing. But for those of us who have been using Macs on a regular basis day after day, year after year, and been some of Apple best supporters, customers & advocates it's not looking good.

I hope I'm wrong.

Establishing the "there's App for that" business model with the iPhone & iPad, was one of Apples most brilliant moves (for them) in years. It changed how many people use the Internet. It further ensnared people into Apples web of Apps & iTunes. Now that they've created the Mac App store, the handwriting is on the wall. There's no looking back.

It's this move, the one that forces us to the App store that I find quite appalling. If it was a choice I would not object. But to force loyal Mac customers into the iOS / iDevice way of "computing" is something I abhor. To add salt to the wound is the fact that Apple will only support upgrades to a Macs OS via the Mac App Store. This alone demonstrates Apples nearly singular focus on the iOS side.

With iToyz red hot in popularity & trendiness, when you're Apple, it's all about convergence. The sooner they complete the transition that's already underway, the sooner they have what they want. A line of computers with the "look & feel" of the wildly popular iToyz.

It's a sad day, when the very supporters who have remained so loyal are forced out... unless they are willing to let Apple suck them into the complete iToyz ecosystem that has become Apples best cash cow. A move that neuters and destroys the current workflows we have established for our unique needs.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The Mac App Store is a superior solution to software distribution.

No serial numbers to track.
Easy to install across multiple computers
Re-installation is easy.
More secure

What I like is that I'm not forced to use the MAS. It's just another more efficient way for me to purchase applications.

Snow Leopard is a fine OS but in two generations Apple has closed the gap between formerly Carbon based frameworks to Cocoa.

Stability and performance should be on the rise (so long as you've got newer hardware)

The future is pretty bright.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
...as 10.7 destroyed Exposé and Spaces (especially Spaces)...
I know a lot of people complained about Mission Control, but I think it's gotten better in 10.8, since you can now make it a lot more like Snow Leopard Exposé by unchecking this checkbox:
PbZ3LG

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
If XP were still supported I would not be using OS X today. Truthfully, the system that drove me away from Windows at the house was a Gateway based system with Vista that my wife had purchased and then discarded.

There were no XP drivers available for any of the hardware and my copy of XP Pro would not install.

Another thing that bothers me is these computer systems are not dead the day a new OS comes out. We've proven that time and again. It may limit upgrades on software we use but they are not useless or dead.

One thing that has always limited Microsoft is the boat anchor of compatibility. I remember reading this in the Windows 95/98 days and it is still true today. Users who refuse to move forward, forcing Microsoft to keep old code in the OS they would prefer to remove but can't.

Yes, I was happy with SL. My upgrade to Lion was only for syncing contacts and calendar items across my iOS devices without having to manually sync them to the desktop. Should ML have a feature I find is worthy, then I'll upgrade but not really until then.

New and shiny are nice but cannot replace functional.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO

I don't mind admitting that I HAVE become old and grumpy;). But that's not why I have misgivings about what may very well lie ahead (and not that far ahead). I'm not giving up and I'm not necessarily anticipating the worst, just preparing to have to acknowledge the possibility that things are moving in a direction with which I'm somewhat less than comfortable. Not that :apple: is obligated to please me personally; they're doing what they see as being in their own best interests, which is what companies do. And :apple: is, after all, a company. Regardless of the sort of brand loyalty they may inspire, they're here to make money. Like everyone else.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I love being an early adopter (bugs don't bother me but I'm smart about it and don't early adopt on my main machine ;) ).

I still have Snow Leopard on my main machine and am very happy with it. I do have to say though I miss some of the features on the newer OS's. When I was test running Lion I did get used to and actually prefer Lions mission control to Snow Leopards Spaces (blasphemy to some but I heavily heavily multitask and personally I think Mission Control is better).

I also love notification center in Mountain Lion. I like Launch Pad but I'm not huge on it since its really not necessary for me but it keeps my parents from calling me and asking where the applications folder is so for that I like it ;)

TobyI

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Security

I still use SL and I don't have any reason to upgrade, on the contrary, I have a lot of reasons to not upgrade. But one thing I am afraid of; my security. Does someone know some tips, software,... to keep my computer safe? Or do you think it isn't necessary... (until now I didn't really bother)
peace

Odd

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
The broken document model in Lion and Mountain Lion will keep me on Snow Leopard for now. I actually know how to manage my information, and do not need to keep hundreds of half-baked versions of files. An online backup solution is a much better choice for keeping older versions anyway. And no, iCloud is not an online backup solution. It's a pay-per-Gig service that, not really surprisingly, will be automatically filled by autosaves until you have to buy storage space "upgrades". There's no such thing as free access to Apple's walled garden.
Facebook and Twitter integration is another big mistake. Third party services made part of the core operating system is truly stupid and short-sighted. Apple is presuming to tell me I'm supposed to keep the wold constantly updated on what music I'm listening to, what pictures I'm looking at and what spreadsheets I'm working on? One company shoving another company's services down my throat will only elicit a digital response from me... The middle digit.
The other features are largely irrelevant. Most of the stuff designed to make life easier for idiots can be turned off.

That said, I'm experimenting with Ubuntu64 on my Mac Pro. I am too invested in software to make the switch yet, but when necessary upgrades no longer work on Snow Leopard, that's probably the way I'm headed.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Love Snow Leopard even though it didn't have a lot of consumer facing features.

But now we're two OS removed and here are some features I wouldn't want to give up.

Auto Save - I don't like to have to worry about losing data
Full Screen mode - I use it every hour on on my Mac
Mac App Store - my default app purchasing area
Mail - so useful I really didn't need to buy Sparrow
Spotlight - improvements to quicklook are nice

Safari- already loving the new features
iCloud - finally working across most apps that need it
Airplay - My Apple TV is turning out to be my best 2012 purchase

?? App store is available on 10.6

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
That said, I'm experimenting with Ubuntu64 on my Mac Pro. I am too invested in software to make the switch yet, but when necessary upgrades no longer work on Snow Leopard, that's probably the way I'm headed.

You should stick around to experience jailbreaking your mac.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I implemented ML the day it was released but found it didn't run as well as Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro, which I actually use to do work. Now SL is back in place and my machine purrs like a kitten.

Perhaps I'll give it another try when the bugs are ironed out but from my experience, ML appears to be too consumer oriented and a good OS for enterprise users to skip.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I use SL on my work computer and ML on my home

I much prefer ML

I catch myself trying to do things at work that I can't do because of SL. Plus ML has a general more fluid feel

My set up:

work: 15in 2.67 i7, 8 gig ram 10.6.8
home: 13in 2.5 i5, 16gig ram 10.8.2

----------

Heck, Leopard still works for me!

I'll upgrade the OS when I buy a new Mac.

FWIW, I can't think of NO benefit that Leopard provides over SL (aside form expose and relative window sizes). I would at least consider SL

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
FWIW, I can't think of NO benefit that Leopard provides over SL (aside form expose and relative window sizes). I would at least consider SL

To each, his own. I have no interest in buying Snow Leopard now. My Mini is five years old and I'm thinking of buying a new one within a year or so, sooner if it decides to die.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
who's still on SL? i'm thinking to go back to SL from ML...but..i like ML features.... it's like having 2 gf..which on should I take? SL that purrrr or ML..that just growl...?:)

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
SL for me ,i do not want to buy a new printer and scanner and although there are workarounds life is too short to be messing with what works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.