Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
On first impression, that phone looks like a big compromise to me.

But let's see if this is the actual prototype or just "some" prototype (or a really good fake).

Last edited:

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
Wow, that is ugly.

Hey Apple, why not just stretch the current iPhone design out vertically, move the headphone jack to the bottom and make the back cheaper to produce and harder to break? It'll make the iPhone fugly as hell, but hey, it'll reduce your warranty repair costs AND allow you to recycle a three year old design, reducing your R&D costs, too. :eek:

Pfffft. So much for innovation at Apple. RIP Steve Jobs.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I really like the current design, so this just builds on it. If its true i do like the move to metal on the back instead of glass. Less prone to shattering. i hope its thinner too.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
well iphone case manufacturers have been coming up with all sorts of mock ups for awhile now. whos to say this isnt just another really nice mockup of what they think is coming.

Did you click through to all of the interior pics?
WAY too much detail for a mockup.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Why isn't the front panel sitting flush? It sticks up, making it thicker. Looks weird because it isn't flush too.

That was my first thought as well. I hope that's a rough edge that will be smoothed out in production -- the non-flush profile is not very Apple and contributes to an overall busy presentation.

All in all, though, it's attractive.

I wonder about the fidelity of the coloration in this photo. It makes the phone look almost blue-gray.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Why isn't the front panel sitting flush? It sticks up, making it thicker. Looks weird because it isn't flush too.

Such a variety of colours, I'd rather the band was solid black.

i think it's because it's not fully assembled...on the site it's a bunch of parts separately, so this front panel might just be placed on top of the body instead of actually assembled tightly

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Does anyone remember when the iPhone 4 was leaked and many many many people on here said how hideous it was, only to call it one of the best industrial designs of the 21st century months later when it was released?

Name one person who made both of those claims.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
Must admit, after 4, and 4S, this look pretty ordinary now. I expected some new and more radical design. Just bigger 4S with some minor changes.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Whatever the phone looks like ...

They should have redesigned springboard completly.
Split the screen, interactive stuff at the top, scrollable icons below...

The homescreen is so old now. I can see that the first ipod touch could not animate anything there without batteries draining.

But today? Please ...
Make some room for improved user experience.

MkNuII

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Portugal
This? Who the heck wants a taller phone? I want a bigger screen, but I don't want JUST a taller screen.

This design is in the same basis as the iPhone4 and iPhone4S. But I agree with you. I think they should just stretch equally maintaining an aspect ratio equal to the previous versions. It seems too tall. But sometimes imaging can be deceiving so you'll probably get a better idea and feel when you actually grab it. Note that this is basing in this rumors, who knows what it actually will look like.

I like the size of the iPhone4S. I don't mind increasing the size of the screen proportionally just as long the size of the phone isn't affected. I just look at what market has to offer with 4,5 or 4,8 and it just seems enormous phone. Still keen to the idea stated by Steve Jobs that your hand should grab the extend of your phone so you can use it with only one, instead of needing two to control it.

But of course, it's opinions. Probably people now want bigger screen :) At least.. that's what the market is heading... bigger screens.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
when i saw the leaked pics of the iphone 4, i thought it was fugly too until i picked it up with my hand

mertyz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2011
The funny thing is, many people complain about the design of the rear side but even if it would be the best design ever made for their taste, they would be still covering it with an iPhone case immediately after the unboxing.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Does anyone remember when the iPhone 4 was leaked and many many many people on here said how hideous it was,
But going from the 3 to the 4 was an overall design change.

The 5 in the pic looks pretty much unchanged except it's bigger.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
It's really nice but too much like the iPhone 4/4s. I'm really not sure what to think of the leaks. I'm sort of hoping that they are just being used by Apple to misdirect, but what are the chance of some sort of conspiracy like that happening? Apple does seem to be taking far less radical changes for their product designs in other ways, for example, the new MacBook Pro having the same sort of look as the old/current generation, the new iPad looks identical to the iPad 2. Maybe Apple feels like it has the best designs it can have right now so they're just sticking with them. I hope they're not getting complacent though. :confused:

Kris

ScooterLibby

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010

It doesn't really bother me, but I did think it odd that the front panel isn't sitting flush. Did any earlier rumors indicate this?

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Call me a conservative old fart, but there are 3 thinks I really don't like about it.

1) different screen ratio
2) small dock connector
3) headphone jack on the bottom

But the overall design is very nice.

Regardless, THIS was the most beautiful iPhone concept ever. I really wish it got in production...

collage_lb_image_page0_9_1.png

collage_lb_image_page0_10_1.png

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
If this is the new phone, not at all impressed with the "new design". I was hoping for a different form factor and not just a longer phone. An increase in the width and height of the phone would be preferred. I have to say some android phones are more attractive then this design. I love Apple products but I am going to skip this round and most likely the round after that (it will most likely have the same design).

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

The front panel on the iPhone 4/4S also sits up a bit from the steel band.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
There's a gap between the aluminum and glass on the back?! Hello dust/dirt/grime entering the phone. My OCD is going to have a field day. :eek:

It looks like this was haphazardly put together by hand. There is a huge gap from the front panel and casing as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.