Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I have two monitors each with 2 desktops. In Lion, I was able to take, for example, an item from Desktop 2 of Monitor 2 and put it in Desktop 1 of Monitor 1. In ML, it's not possible to move from the desktop of one monitor to the other monitor. I tested this on a bootable Lion and it worked. I also tried with my MBA connecting it to my monitor and in that instance, it wouldn't work either. Lastly, I also did test with a new user.

Anyone else notice this issue?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Are you talking about moving windows between screens while in MC? If so, I was never able to do that in Lion either and still can't with ML

This. It was never possible in Lion to move an app window from one physical display to another in Mission Control (at least not without a third-part app like TotalSpaces). I actually asked about this in the All the Little Things thread, but no one responded.

One of my biggest gripes about Lion (and now ML) compared to Snow Leopard is the inability to drag app windows from one physical display to another whilst in MC view. :mad:

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I think Apple has some work to do regarding working with multiple displays. Or I least hope a software developer provides a software package to actually improve productivity working with dual displays on a Mac...

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Are you talking about moving windows between screens while in MC? If so, I was never able to do that in Lion either and still can't with ML

I don't mean the actual screens, but the Desktops.

In the screenshot, I show going from Monitor 1 to Monitor 2s Desktop page. I was able to do this in Lion. I booted to my bootable backup clone and it worked perfectly. I also tried with another laptop not yet upgraded to ML.

qMSzA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
No one used the feature of moving windows between Desktops in MC?
Yes, but I'm on Snow Leopard. :D

Kidding aside, I boot into ML every now and then for a chuckle. I'll give the dual monitors a try when I get to a desk.

philxor

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
If I'm understanding what you are talking about, it was never doable in Lion either, it was one of the big deficiencies of multi-monitor support.

In Lion, which I'm running right now, you can't take a window from a desktop on screen 1 and move it to a desktop on screen 2. You have to make sure you are on the correct space on the other monitor and move the window to the other screen, it's a huge pain versus Snow Leopard.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Ok, just to test I tried moving from one desktop to another under ML, then under Lion. Sorry, no dice. There have been multi-monitor issues since Apple's implementation of "Full Screen" apps became some sort of holy grail (for some unknown reason).

My workhorse OS will continue to be Snow Leopard.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Yes, but I'm on Snow Leopard. :D

Kidding aside, I boot into ML every now and then for a chuckle. I'll give the dual monitors a try when I get to a desk.

Are you sure you're testing it correctly? It's not from one desktop to another desktop. It's from the main screen of one system to the desktop of another monitor. Can you please try that again? I can do this in Lion but not in ML. I'm sure of it. Thanks.

nontroppo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Hm, in mission control I can't drag an app window (lets use terminal as an example) from the active desktop of monitor 1 to the desktop thumbnails on monitor 2 -- OS X 10.7.4 -- tried with option as well just in case...

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
Hm, in mission control I can't drag an app window (lets use terminal as an example) from the active desktop of monitor 1 to the desktop thumbnails on monitor 2 -- OS X 10.7.4 -- tried with option as well just in case...

So weird. Ironically, my second monitor needed to be repaired, so it's at the Apple store. Once I get it back, I'll boot into Lion and take a video of what I'm doing. Hopefully that will clear it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.