Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Ok, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my mid 2011 Mac mini to Mountain Lion. I wanted to do a clean install but I didn't have any big enough USB drives so I decided to go the DVD route using an Amazon branded USB external drive. It's now been over 6 hours and the installation still isn't done! Is this normal?

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Ok, I'm currently in the process of upgrading my mid 2011 Mac mini to Mountain Lion. I wanted to do a clean install but I didn't have any big enough USB drives so I decided to go the DVD route using an Amazon branded USB external drive. It's now been over 6 hours and the installation still isn't done! Is this normal?

The speed of external is why i didnt use one. You could have created a temporary partition on your HDD, copied the installer over there, and booted from there. It would have been way faster.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Did you just copy the installer there? If so, it will take a long time. It's like the internet recovery option I imagine. Not the best way to install ML, as you're seeing, but handy in an emergency.

mizzoucat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Ok, I created an 8gb partition on my hard drive and copied the image. Holy smokes, I was done in 15 minutes. Why is the external DVD route so sllloooowww? After 7 hours, it finally threw up an error and didn't complete the installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.