Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msalman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Hey,

Upgraded to ML yesterday in addition to adding SSD. OS overall looks better - I think I will have a good experience.

I use firefox due to being used to it for years and the tab group feature. I noticed today that FF is very sluggish, laggy and using a lot more CPU and memory handling is bad too. Has anyone else experienced this?

How are other browsers? I think I might switch to chrome or safari until FF is fixed.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I used to swear by Firefox then chrome but now I want a more simple un-intrusive browser and then has ended up being the new safari, running in full screen mode. It's works best with gestures and the rMBP.

Lots of apps are yet ML optimised and firefox could well be one.

msalman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I tried safari a bit today and I loved two things: Reader, Flipping web pages (back & forward with gestures). Chrome also has the later function but it's not as smooth.

I have switched between browsers over the years: from FF to Safari to Chrome and then back to FF. Now I may have to go back to safari, I am liking it more than chrome.

I am going to give a shot to aurora before giving up totally on FF.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
I'm in the same boat. I've been using firefox for years on pc and still am when I made the move to mac back in 05. As of late, the only reason I've kept firefox around was due to the extensions and tabbing. But with the consistent slow downs and random beachballs, it's hard to stick with firefox. I started to try safari since I upgraded to Mountain Lion and I have to say it's drawing me in. I've been using it more and more and dragged all my bookmarks from firefox to safari. I might give aurora a try, but the way safari 6 just flies, I don't even want to bother with firefox anymore.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
you do know firefox aurora is beta right...its showing quite a bit of promise, but its still not 100 percent polished...be patient.

I'm going to return to version 15 beta and if that causes this site to hang then I will try the stable.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I am using aurora tonight and past few days, no issues, no hangs, maybe its your ISP with a sloppy connection to macrumors. Slow DNS night perhaps

msalman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Just try Aurora.....it's faster than Safari and offers better extensions. I don't even care about Chrome any more.

S-
I have noticed Aurora to be faster in the past and less memory hog; I use it at work. I installed it yesterday on MBP with ML and I noticed sudden jumps in CPU usage and even memory usage started off with 350mb+. 350mb+ is not an issue when you have 8GB ram but it may cause a problem when I have it open with multiple tabs for days. Not to mention, I don't want FF to slow down my computer when I'm running virtual machine.

Sudden jumps in CPU is a bit concern though - maybe it has always been the case and I never noticed before. Or it could be due to one of the extensions. I will try it bit more before moving to Safari totally. I noticed the same sudden CPU jump in Safari as well and Safari memory management doesn't seem to be all that good either.

I hope this is OS or app issue and not caused by SSD. I have loaded SSD in OptiBay on Saturday.

Opera is good too.
Opera is good - I planned to move to Opera few months ago but it lacks some of the features which I'm used to in FF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.