Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talk2phil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I noticed that my old 40GB Apple TV makes some strange noises... How can I replace the HDD and start a new life. How can I clone the HDD? Thanks for your tips.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Easy option (which can also be an upgrade) is to get on Ebay and buy a new :apple:TV1 hard drive (up to 320GB if you like). Sellers typically send install instructions and it's not overly complicated if you are good with a screwdriver. Personally, I found the hardest part to be removing the rubber boot on the bottom without tearing it (take your time).

If you would rather do it yourself (buy a blank drive and format it for :apple:TV1), I've had great success with this software: http://dynaflashtech.net/atvcloner/

Keep in mind that the :apple:TV1 uses a PATA- not SATA- drive. And I've heard of some people using this scenario as an opportunity to switch to a PATA SSD drive instead of another hard drive... and that working for them!

I've experienced those same symptoms before and assumed the hard drive was bad (too). However, after removing the hard drive, I reformatted it and it came back to life. I've even found that I could pull the drive, run that atvcloner on the same drive, put it back in and all can be well again. You might try this if you don't want to spend the money on a new drive.

After using atvcloner, it's like going back to factory new... meaning you'll need to set it up again and re-sync whatever you like stored on that internal drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.