Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timb0land

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Just purchased Mountain Lion from the app store for my iMac, it's downloaded just 53.25MB and has now stopped. It's been stuck like this for about 5 hours with the status stuck on "calculating". Tried rebooting but makes no difference. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Any advice gratefully received.

immigrantb

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Same thing happened to me - 53.25MB on iMac - I had successfully downloaded it on a MacBook previously - so I have no clue!

timb0land

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I've spoken to Apple. They seem to think it's a problem with my router having a download cap of 2GB. Apparently this is only happening on BT Business accounts and can only be resolved by BT.

timb0land

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Now spoken to BT. A firmware update is required to complete the download which they said would happen within the next 48 hours. Let's see!

dice90

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2010
I had the exact same issue and resolved it by downloading a program called HotSpot Shield. I was also stuck at 53.25MB. I don't know what caused it but Apple just told me that it was because my internet was too slow... I am running at about 7Mbps download speeds and 2Mbps upload. I know it isn't the fastest thing in the world but my friends all get around 2 down and .5 up and they got it downloaded... It seemed to have something to do with mine specifically. HotSpot Shield resolved it no problem.

wpoons

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
I'm another who's had the 53.25MB failure issue, and it's 99.9% certain to be a router issue. If you're in the UK then the chances are you're with BT for your broadband. As mentioned above, there is a known issue with the 2Wire BT Business Hub, see link below, and probably other routers too.

http://btbroadbandandhowtosurviveit.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/bts-2-wire-woes.html

"If you want Mountain Lion, or any other large download, then you'll need to get another router, or firmware upgrade if available." That however can be a pain, and if BT don't play ball then an expensive one. There is another solution however, and one that means no contact with BT, call centres or your local PC World :eek:...

What I did was put in an old BTHomeHub that I had lying around to get it passed the 53.25MB point, and then paused the download while I reinstalled the 2Wire BT Business Hub. I then resumed the download and the whole 4+GB was on my iMac in a few minutes (well just over the hour). If you don't have a spare router, borrow one, you'll only need it to get the download passed the 53.25MB stage. For completeness, I waited until it was at about 150MB before pausing.

Hope that helps some. :)

A2TC
Want to know how to fix all known PC issues...click here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.