Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Getting closer to cutting the cable cord. I need HBOgo before any drastic moves are made.

This is probably going to be the nail in the coffin for me to Cable TV in my house. I'll still be keeping cable internet but this is that last mile that I needed.

You really think once enough people have "cut the cord" cable companies won't raise your internet access rates to pretty much the same as getting their package deals? Enjoy it while it lasts, but just like the cell carriers they will just raise rates to compensate loss of income streams (no pun intended lol) :(

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Well if you "cut the cable cord", you will not be getting HBOGo.

This is where content providers need to make deals directly with Apple, Roku or whoever and let people buy a la carte. I would think it would put more money in HBO's pocket by cutting out middle man.

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
Think I need one now

I think the Apple TV has finally pushed me to get one. I do not have cable so only rely on watching stuff online. I'm a huge sports fan, though, so I'm hoping Watch ESPN comes to the ATV. Otherwise, I'll continue to watch on my laptop.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
What exactly does Hulu Plus offer that Netflix doesn't already have?

With the listed TV shows that air new episodes, you can watch them when:

Netflix - when the DVD for that season goes on sale
Hulu Plus - the next day the show first airs

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
AppleTV shows why an actual apple tv wouldnt really work, at least as an world wide offer. theres just too much missing, all i got is YouTube on my AppleTV ...

but i guess it makes more sense in the US anyway because cable isnt really expensive here in germany. i pay 49€ for Premium Deluxe Cable TV (complete) incl HD + 100mbit unlimited internet. therefore Netflix, Hulu Plus arent that much of a cheaper alternative

30mbit + cable tv complete is $199 in the US??? omfg :eek:

Last edited:

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
This is super sweet! It's about time... Only few more needed subscription (like monthly) ONLY: Starz app ($4.99, please), HBO ($7.99, please) and Showtime ($4.99, please).

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You really think once enough people have "cut the cord" cable companies won't raise your internet access rates to pretty much the same as getting their package deals? Enjoy it while it lasts, but just like the cell carriers they will just raise rates to compensate loss of income streams (no pun intended lol) :(

This is exactly what will happen. It cracks me up how many people think they can finally put one over on the cable company when that exact same cable company provides the broadband through which their cable TV replacement will work. Of course those companies will increase the cost of broadband if this starts eating into their revenue numbers. They'll start talking up themes like "for high bandwidth users" etc and/or implement bandwidth tiers (much tighter than now). Sound familiar?

See that future. It's coming.

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009

Also - Hulu has commercials, Netflix doesn't. It is the price you pay for newer content.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Apple becomes the new middleman. And Apple likes a big slice of 30% right off the top.

I didn't mean pay via iTunes, but make deals to get apps on the boxes like they did with Hulu, Netflix, etc. I have my Hulu subscription outside Apple. I can't imagine Apple is getting 30% of that just because I log into Hulu via Apple TV and many other sources. Now, my Netflix is paid via iTunes so that one maybe.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark

So in reality it has no exclusive content?

Just faster access to the current season episodes, sprinkled with ads?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
This is exactly what will happen. It cracks me up how many people think they can finally put one over on the cable company when that exact same cable company provides the broadband through which their cable TV replacement will work. Of course those companies will increase the cost of broadband if this starts eating into their revenue numbers. They'll start talking up themes like "for high bandwidth users" etc and/or implement bandwidth tiers (much tighter than now). Sound familiar?

See that future. It's coming.

yep, I too see this as the obvious way of the future. it'll end up being pay for cable internet and get "free" tv subscription too, or some will just pay for internet and use the Apple tv and think they are beating the system.

companies don't like to lose money, they will figure out a way to compensate for lost customers who are still using another portion of the company's services.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I haven't looked at Hulu Plus in a little while, and can't look at their forums while I'm at work. Are the best shows still mostly limited to computer browsing as opposed to streaming devices?

froby

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Hulu Plus $$$?

How much does this cost? They sure don't make it public on their website....

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Has anyone watched anything with it? I'm very interested in how well it works. I use to have Hulu+ but could never get any of the clients (Xbox, Roku, Blu-ray) to work worth a damn... they would always crash, freeze, buffer, get out of sync... it got to where watching a 1/2 hour show would take an hour and a half. I can't believe Apple would let something of that quality land on one of their platforms, but you never know.

Reviews please!

PS: Could care less about ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.