Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
You really think once enough people have "cut the cord" cable companies won't raise your internet access rates to pretty much the same as getting their package deals?

They're ahead of you.

Price for just internet access is about the same as an internet + TV bundle.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
You're looking at Hulu on the web, not Hulu Plus. Check off the Hulu Plus checkbox and watch all the content disappear.
That's not been my experience. We watch all kinds of recent shows on Hulu+. It's the reason we finally switched. Netflix was great for old shows, but didn't have anything released within the past couple years. Hulu+ has all the newest stuff.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Network TV

If I were to ditch my Directv service, how would I get HD Network TV for CBS, NBC and the like?

I would still want to watch CNN news and event tv like the olympics.

What are the best options there?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If I were to ditch my Directv service, how would I get HD Network TV for CBS, NBC and the like?

The basic cables you can get over the air and in HD

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
To ask the impossible:

Any chance does this include any Olympics coverage?

(Have no OTA reception. Not getting cable TV.)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You assume everyone gets their broadband from their cable companies?

No. Who are the alternatives? DSL? For many, aren't they also in the video subscription business?

3G/4G cellular with datacaps so tight you can run into the cap with as little as one HD movie download?

For many there are no alternatives. For those with an alternative, does your alternative NOT also have a video subscription business?

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
If I understand it correctly, Hulu Plus allows you to stream the current season of supported shows and stream in HD.

jerome65

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2010
Ohio
I have had Hulu Plus for a while now on XBox and was originally pretty happy with it. But it seems to me that more and more content is becoming web only which defeats the purpose to me. Kind of waiting for the fall line up to come out, if that does not change then I will probably drop it.

ironpony

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
md
wheresthemovie.com

Does anyone know of how to find where to watch a particular movie?

Type in a movie name and it tells you who to pay to get it(Hulu, Netflix, iTunes....)??

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Well if you "cut the cable cord", you will not be getting HBOGo.

And HBO will eventually go the way of the buggy whip if their executives continue to think that way. The cable empire is crumbling and they don't want to face the fact that they need to change with the times to stay relevant.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
They're ahead of you. Price for just internet access is about the same as an internet + TV bundle.

From what I have seen, this applies only to new subscribers and only for the first 6 or 12 months. Then the rates go up.

These "package deals" also don't include things like DVR or HD, if you can believe it. You have to pay extra for those, and they add quite a bit to the monthly bill.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Wait...there are commercials on Hulu Plus even though we are paying the MONEY for the subscription...?:confused:

Wait... there are commercials on cable even though we are paying the MONEY for the subscription? What's confusing here?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Along with the major networks probably being available through your cable (search for clearQAM), Elgato is also worth a look (maybe with an antenna).

SimpleLove

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Wait... there are commercials on cable even though we are paying the MONEY for the subscription? What's confusing here?

True, BUT when the content is ON DEMAND and you can watch when YOU CHOOSE, the commercials are ridiculous in my opinion.

Taank

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010

What's confusing is that they are trying to be an alternative to the crappy deal the public swallowed from the cable companies. Free ad-supported tv that somehow turned into monthy pay television, yet maintained its ad revenue. Interesting. The alternative they are trying to sell you now has very limited content, as well as ads.

Why try to be argumentative and clever? Think about it for 5 minutes and you'll probably understand the original poster's position. Hulu was trying to get ahead of the game and be a game changer. They didn't do it. I'm not saying they didn't try. But $8/month (or whatever) for the limited content you can get from them would be questionable if it was not ad supported. Ads make it a non-starter for some people. Me included. (i tried it for a while).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How do I get HD network TV over the air?

just plug your cable wire directly into the back of your tv and use the channel up or down button. For example if fox is channel 5, 5.1 would be the over the air HD channel.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
WOW!

I ditched cable last year and have been doing Hulu+ and Netflix. I've had to do Hulu on the Playstation, which works fine, but using my phone to control the Apple TV is much more convenient. It'll be great to have the 2 things I use more conveniently situated like this.

Plus, it's cheaper to put another Apple TV on a 2nd TV than it is to buy most other Hulu-enabled devices.

And the :apple:TV uses a lot less power than the PS3. :)

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
You assume everyone gets their broadband from their cable companies?

I'd love to give my $$$ to any company other than Comcast. However, here in Salt Lake City, there aren't really any other alternatives. As soon as there is a provider that privides Comcast-esque speeds, I'm jumping ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.