Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Just updated my Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion, but I am experiencing some problems with DNS resolving (i think).

Some websites (for example Facebook, Google Adwords, Apple discussions) are not reachable through the browser (Google Chrome) most of the time. However if I ping them (using networking tools from OSX), they always respond. They never open in Chrome and sometimes in Safari and Firefox.

The browsers tell me there is no or an empty response.

I already checked the DNS servers (they are ok) and also flushes the DNS cache.

I did not have this problem before upgrading. Can anybody help me out?

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I had this problem at work today, but that was before I upgraded to ML. While traveling last week, I entered 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server in the Network configuration. Although I can ping this DNS server at work, it was not compatible with our company's firewall. Deleting the 8.8.8.8 DNS server entry solved the problem. However, the problem was that I couldn't reach websites and I don't think I could even ping them, although I could ping 8 8.8.8

Another time, I had a problem more like yours -- only a few websites would load, most wouldn't, but I could ping them by name. I solved this by turning off the osx firewall. Doing so resolved the problem instantly.

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I had this problem at work today, but that was before I upgraded to ML. While traveling last week, I entered 8.8.8.8 as the DNS server in the Network configuration. Although I can ping this DNS server at work, it was not compatible with our company's firewall. Deleting the 8.8.8.8 DNS server entry solved the problem. However, the problem was that I couldn't reach websites and I don't think I could even ping them, although I could ping 8 8.8.8

Another time, I had a problem more like yours -- only a few websites would load, most wouldn't, but I could ping them by name. I solved this by turning off the osx firewall. Doing so resolved the problem instantly.

Thanks for your reaction. The first part of your story isn't applicable to my situation. I do also have 8.8.8.8.8 as my DNS server. But most sites work, and I can ping the sites that don't.

I checked out my firewall but it was already disabled, so that can't be it.

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
I discovered a strange thing. When I delete all FB cookies, the site loads. When I log on (and tap the box for staying logged in, therefore placing a cookie), the doesn't work anymore. Same is with Google.

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Another discovery for my problem. Today I was at work, now I'm home and the problem is gone. I believe it is related to the network there. Our internet access is pretty much straight on to the router, however there is a Windows Domain active on the network for file sharing.

Can anybody help me out?

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
By uning the app "Charles" I run some diagnostics over the connection through FireFox. The following note caught my attention:

"SSL Proxying not enabled for this host: enable in Proxy Settings, SSL locations"

In the OSX settings are proxy protocols are disabled. Also, other SSL/HTTPS sites are working fine.

I'm starting to believe it has got something to do with a SSL connection. This is also ratified by the fact Outlook can't send a message to the Gmail server (time out) using SSL (port 465). However, I can send mail through other SSL servers using the some port.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Your best bet here is to start tracing the problem from the lowest level up.

DNS resolvers: Reset these to use something other than Google Public DNS

Firewall: Check your OSX firewall. Disable it temporarily to see if outgoing connections are blocked.

Access by IP: Can you access any of these by IP address, but not the http://www.domainhere.com address itself?

chrisgreasy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I discovered a strange thing. When I delete all FB cookies, the site loads. When I log on (and tap the box for staying logged in, therefore placing a cookie), the doesn't work anymore. Same is with Google.

I'm having the exact same problem, anyone find a fix yet?

bravo123

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
DNS problems after updating to Mountain Lion (10.8)

uploaded to ML 2 days ago and expriencing the exact same ****. pages like facebook and apple disscussions just hangup loading. removed the cahes but no success...need to fix this crap. help reqd..

have someone posted this issue at apple disscussions?

S.V.

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
I am experiencing the same problem. Facebook pages and apple discussion group pages does not work. If I remove all cookies, I can log into facebook, but cannot navigate the pages.

When I connect my computer with the internet using iPhone4S-3G network, everything works. With the Lion I have in another HD everything works either.

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Your best bet here is to start tracing the problem from the lowest level up.

DNS resolvers: Reset these to use something other than Google Public DNS

Firewall: Check your OSX firewall. Disable it temporarily to see if outgoing connections are blocked.

Access by IP: Can you access any of these by IP address, but not the http://www.domainhere.com address itself?

All things didn't work. Firewall was already turned off. I tried to access FB through there IP (A-record DNS), but the site didn't open.

burhocky

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Iowa
I'm having the exact same issues in Safari and Chrome. Certain HTTPS sites (Facebook, Apple Discussions) don't work. Others do (Google Apps, Outlook EWS, etc.). While they don't work on my MBP, they DO work on my iPhone 4S and iPad attached to the same wireless network. They also work when booting into Windows via BootCamp, but not Parallels.

Attempted (and failed) Solutions:
Reseting DNS Resolvers for Wi-Fi and Time Capsule
Enabling/Disabling OS X Firewall
Resetting Safari/Chrome
Removing all cookies
Disabling JavaScript
Creating new User Account
Clean Install of ML

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
All those affected (I'm not, but the descriptions made me think of something), can you check what setting you have in Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy -> "Ask websites not to track me"? Since you're describing problems related to Facebook or other sites that use cookies, and perhaps a specific type of tracking cookie, it'd be worth checking that setting out, since it's new in Mountain Lion.

jW

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
All those affected (I'm not, but the descriptions made me think of something), can you check what setting you have in Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy -> "Ask websites not to track me"? Since you're describing problems related to Facebook or other sites that use cookies, and perhaps a specific type of tracking cookie, it'd be worth checking that setting out, since it's new in Mountain Lion.

jW

Thanks for your reaction, but it's not checked. Can't be that. Any other things we may check/try?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks for your reaction, but it's not checked. Can't be that. Any other things we may check/try?

Well, actually, I was suggesting changing it's state (so since it's not checked, try checking it) and seeing what happens. Just curious, mostly.

jW

chrisgreasy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
I spent all day on this and tryed everything, I ended up downgraded to snow leopard just to see if the problem was still there and its not. Mountain lion upgrade is at fault
I'm going to try this when i get home.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1413942/

"I found what helped was re-installing Rapport.. Downloaded again from Trusteer's website and it seems fine at the moment"

S.V.

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Incompatibility with the modem?

I will change the adsl modem. The one I use now is Dlink DSL-2460B.
I tested my laptop with ML in another network( in the house of a friend of mine) without this modem and everything worked.

wouteronline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Well, actually, I was suggesting changing it's state (so since it's not checked, try checking it) and seeing what happens. Just curious, mostly.

jW

Did this but didn't change anything.

I don't use Rapport, so can't reinstall that.

S.V., is there a windows domain in your home network? In my case it's works at home but it doesn't at the office. In the Office network, their is a windows domain active (also connected to with my MBP). Maybe that's the cause of all this?

emigrl

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Try reducing MTU size.

System Preferences > Network > WiFi > Advanced > Hardware > Manually > MTU: Custom > 1300

Worked for me.

S.V.

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Try reducing MTU size.

System Preferences > Network > WiFi > Advanced > Hardware > Manually > MTU: Custom > 1300

Worked for me.

Very very good! This worked for me also.
How did you find out?

CrazyMacUser

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Still Unable to send mails

I tried changing the MTU to 1300, now I can browse the web and connect to sites with SSL, however, I am unable to send mails with SSL. Any ideas? Have you tried sending emails with SSL accounts?

(Correction, I am now able to send emails, however, they send pretty slow...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.