Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Unno, I have a bit over 4000 tracks, and I haaave, 518 unmatched.

Tho I'll admit, iTunes Match needs a little work. I'll randomly have a song on an album that won't match, even though I know it's in iTMS. I've a few where I get the clean version on my phone/ipad, but have the explicit in iTunes.

Edit: Also, looking at pricing, I'd be paying $75 (100GB + Cloud Player Premium) to get what I have spending $25 with Apple

What are you talking about. For $25 with Amazon, you get 250,000 tracks to store, Apple only gives you 25,000.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Another example of how Apple is becoming the developer for the rest of the world.

You must be kidding. No body copies Apple. Apple did not invent 'Scan and Match' although they were the first ones to do it.

'Scan and Match' have been going on for years. Or simply Google it.

You Apple fanboys think Apple invented the world. Puff!!!

Now let me cite my rhetoric LG Prada B.S., The Story of the Almighty Xerox B.S., and more to come.

/idiotic_android_fanclub_member #666

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Holy smokes, a quarter million songs! :D

iTunes Match still for me, for the good integration (although not bug-free so far).
But a quarter million songs for the same annual price is pressuring Apple, me gusta! :cool:

Glassed Silver:mac

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
> All matched songs - even music purchased from iTunes or ripped from CDs - are instantly made available in Cloud Player

Has anyone ever managed to get iTunes match to match anything other than songs purchased via iTunes? I tried it on a few beatles songs and there was no match. At that point, I figured it was a scam.

It is hit and miss for me... Inside the SAME album I can have matched and uploaded tracks...

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Apple had to fight so much to bring this service because of the record labels. How can amazon achieve the same so freely?

I doubt it was in any sense free....my guess is Apple just set the precedent, and broke the stranglehold so to speak. The groundwork and negotiations have been done....so now that the record companies have shown the willingness to co-operate, all any said company has to do is provide the storage infrastructure and cough up the $$$.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just tried to match my downloads on Amazon, and it only did 2 songs out of 15 on an album... Still, it's getting better! Wish it came with Prime though.

amazon prime is one of the best investments I have ever made lol. I ship so many things and free 2 days and $3.99 for next day is amazing :)

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
This is welcome news. After recently starting the process of switching from iTunes Match to Amazon for a number of reasons, the matching will be a godsend. I'm not really keen that they split the services, as it seems like a money grab. But I have no need for Amazon cloud storage aside from music since I use Dropbox, so it doesn't really effect me. And even better in all of this is the announcement that Amazon music is coming to Roku. That is very welcome news. Like someone else mentioned, all they need now is an Amazon streaming video app for iOS.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
may look into this. i only used iTunes Match to "upgrade" and redownload my songs. its almost useless to me as a feature. always takes forever to reload the album covers or they dont show at all which is not good for my OCD in details ^^

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So does this mean the music I uploaded to Cloud Player/Drive is no longer going to be there?

Essentially they are replacing the old service with iTunes Match?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've had iTunes Match match and give me songs that I had captured from my phonograph record collection! It easily paid for itself on that alone. I'd say it managed about 10% of my record tracks although (no surprise) it didn't match any 78's.

I don't care about the cloud storage, just the clean-up. Now with the Amazon service, I'll be trying the "failed" tracks to see if it does any of them.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
The way I see it, I don't care if Amazon or Google "copy" Apple's products and services. It forces Apple to innovate to keep their products above the rest. People love to hate on Amazon, Google, and Samsung around here, but their business practices end up giving us better products from Apple.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
The Cloud Player iPhone app has worked really well for me for the past couple months. Just recently it's been doing some annoying stuff where recently uploaded music doesn't show all the songs, and I have to delete them from the web player, recycle the library on the iPhone app, then restore them from the web player's trash, but everything about it has been miles ahead of what iTunes Match has offered other than matching.

And now that matching is available, I face the same double-edged sword I had before: I have lots of music I never, ever want to "upgrade" to the currently available remasters as they are really awful sounding. What remains to be seen at this point is if Amazon's matching system is smart enough to detect original, non-remastered music and leave it alone. So far, in the tiny, tiny fraction of my collection that it has upgraded, 440 songs so far, it hasn't picked up a single title that it shouldn't. It is, however, at just over 1% of my 38,500 songs.

Love having a metadata editor now! If they keep this up, there's going to be no reason to use iTunes.

iTunes Match's biggest problems for me have been chronic, painful slowness - taking 20 minutes to download one album is absolutely ridiculous - and mysteriously undownloadable songs. They're unforgivable sins - I don't have endless time and I can't deal with unavailable music. There's no solution to either problem, and Apple famously won't talk about issues, so Amazon has swooped in at the right time to collect the disgruntled like me.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Itunes Match Issues

Seems to be common in this thread...say, 4000 songs....only 3700 or whatever matched.

Aside from some small glitches...the service has been over all ok for me. For those with mismatched matches, someone out there with better knowledge can correct me if i'm wrong, but one explanation is blank tracks. For instance, a Danzig or Tool album with 90 some empty tracks...I don't believe cases like that factor into the match, aka they get ignored. The bigger the music collection the potential for the bigger difference in matched tracks vs. actual.

And in my case its definitley uploaded some things...one thing I find annoying is that a song I scanned in months ago will all of the sudden be picked up by itunes when I update the match, and be uploaded, despite having been missed on multiple scans. I have no idea why inconsistencies like that occur.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Amazon is awesome!

If I need to order gifts, electronics, cables, etc.
I'll continue to use them for that.

iTunes now. iTunes tomorrow.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
iTunes Match is great. I upgraded all my old low quality rips to higher quality. 90% of my songs all matached and those that didn't I just went back and reripped at 256 aac in iTunes. It didn't take long and wasn't hard.

My only gripe about iTunes Match is it not always matching the explicit version which I really hope gets fixed very soon.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Because Apple charges for every little thing that should be offered for free. For example, Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

I'm sick of it frankly. I paid for iTunes Match when it launched. And that's the last time I'll do that. I expect iTunes to 1) up their 25k limit 2) offer an option to match only explicit material (which they STILL haven't done, but will probably tout this as "feature" in iTunes Match 2), and 3) stream the music instead of downloading. I'd ditch Rdio/Spotify in an instant.

If Google follows suit, I'm done with iTunes.

What???? Have u seen the price of a windows upgrade??????

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
You must be kidding. No body copies Apple. Apple did not invent 'Scan and Match' although they were the first ones to do it.
You Apple fanboys think Apple invented the world. Puff!!!
/idiotic_android_fanclub_member #666

No one said that Apple 'invented' it. It's Apple's business model to develop, build, market, and distribute inventions to the masses. And by the way, they do it very well.

Once apple develops a model of demand and distribution for the product, others jump in and copy the developed model and offer similar products on the cheap, not having to cover the development costs.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Seems to be common in this thread...say, 4000 songs....only 3700 or whatever matched.

Aside from some small glitches...the service has been over all ok for me. For those with mismatched matches, someone out there with better knowledge can correct me if i'm wrong, but one explanation is blank tracks. For instance, a Danzig or Tool album with 90 some empty tracks...I don't believe cases like that factor into the match, aka they get ignored. The bigger the music collection the potential for the bigger difference in matched tracks vs. actual.

Well, you won't get any matches on Tool or Def Leppard or other bands that are exclusive to vendors other than iTMS. But that's just how it is.

I currently have ~18k tracks and about ~15k of them match. In fairness, at least ~2k tracks are bootleg concerts so they weren't going to match anyhow. Out of the remaining ~800-1200 songs, perhaps 200 of them are my own personal performance recordings (so no match), 200 of them are apparently, despite my lack of coolness, so hipster indie that you've never heard of them (so no match) and the rest are authentic match failures by iTMS. That's pretty decent. If iTunes Match were a college midterm, it would qualify for an "A" with that percentage of correct answers.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
It looks like Amazon may still have some bumps in the road like iTunes Match did. I just upgraded my cloud library through the player and it changed the cover art for 3 albums I had uploaded to incorrect art. Slightly annoying but not a deal breaker like the censoring of explicit albums in iTunes Match.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
This is very cool.

Amazon MP3 is by far a better place to purchase digital music - their prices are incredible. You can always find great deals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.