Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
From what I can see not everything is free to Prime members. I just checked Burn Notice for example. Not showing as free to members.

It's never been advertised as everything free. Amazon has a portion of their library that is free for Prime members, in much the same way Netflix only has a portion of their library available for streaming.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
From what I can see not everything is free to Prime members. I just checked Burn Notice for example. Not showing as free to members.

You're correct, but free streaming is unlimited, just not for every show or movie out there. Many shows or movies still cost, but less than what iTunes charges. Example: Modern Family (one of my favorite shows) only cost $1.99 through Amazon vs. $2.99 through iTunes.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Does this Amazon app show everything as available, and make you click the movie to see if you have to pay for it or can stream it? Or is there a menu for viewing just the free streaming movies?

That is my biggest beef with Amazon Prime - I would search for movies, and I can't tell until the last minute whether a movie is free to stream, or costs money to stream.

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
Does this Amazon app show everything as available, and make you click the movie to see if you have to pay for it or can stream it? Or is there a menu for viewing just the free streaming movies?

That is my biggest beef with Amazon Prime - I would search for movies, and I can't tell until the last minute whether a movie is free to stream, or costs money to stream.

That's my question too - i'm not a prime member but i'm debating btw prime and netflix (which i'm currently previewing and not thrilled with selection). Is there a way to tell BEFORE signing up for prime which movies are available for free streaming? An icon/notice on the movie? Can someone who is a subscriber point out two movies where one is free for streaming and one is not so I can tell the difference?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
You're correct, but free streaming is unlimited, just not for every show or movie out there. Many shows or movies still cost, but less than what iTunes charges. Example: Modern Family (one of my favorite shows) only cost $1.99 through Amazon vs. $2.99 through iTunes.

I believe the SD versions are still $1.99/episode on iTunes. I have no need (nor the storage space for) the HD version for TV shows, so I just buy SD ones from iTunes if I want the episodes for offline access (i.e. for a commute underground)

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
That's my question too - i'm not a prime member but i'm debating btw prime and netflix (which i'm currently previewing and not thrilled with selection). Is there a way to tell BEFORE signing up for prime which movies are available for free streaming? An icon/notice on the movie? Can someone who is a subscriber point out two movies where one is free for streaming and one is not so I can tell the difference?

You're best off visiting the Amazon website and searching for a title.

Example: Amazon is streaming Mission Impossible and III for free, while only offering II and Ghost Protocol as a rental. Not sure why they don't stream II, but they don't. Streaming is via wifi only. Of course, you can buy the movie and watch in anywhere, anytime, but that's not part of the free service.

----------

I believe the SD versions are still $1.99/episode on iTunes. I have no need (nor the storage space for) the HD version for TV shows, so I just buy SD ones from iTunes if I want the episodes for offline access (i.e. for a commute underground)

I stand corrected, you're right. I was looking at the HD price on my iPad. :eek:

daftpunk329

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
No playback for jailbroken devices. Anyone else experience this?

I imagine we'll be seeing a hack to overcome this issue via Cydia in the coming days....hopefully!

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
I have Amazon Prime in the UK - and get nothing like this.

We are so far behind.

I suspect there's a whole minefield for rOlling out video content in other territories - just look at Netflix uk vs us - uk is fairly crap (as lovefilm, sky and bbc hold rights for loads) vs the us which has more upto date and useful content

It's te reason why there is piracy - content too expensive to buy on its own, streaming services fragmented with this film on this service, this film on the other.

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA

Yes. Go to Amazon's web site and search within the "Amazon Instant Video" department. Items which are eligible for prime streaming will display "Prime members: $0.00 (unlimited streaming)", followed by the non-prime rent/buy prices. You can also "browse" all the prime eligible tv/movies by choosing "shop by department, full store directory, prime instant videos".

Just beware that for *some* series that show "Prime members $0.00 (unlimited streaming)", Prime only applies to a subset of episodes. For example, the first few episodes are free streaming with Prime and the remainder must be rented/purchased. In other cases, the entire series is Prime eligible. Just depends on the particular show (and publisher).

In the new iPad app, you can browse through featured Prime eligible content but there doesn't appear to be a search/filter funciton within the app. HOWEVER... When on the web site listing for a title there is a new button called "Add to Watch List", and the iPad app has a section that displays your Watch List content. That means you can use the web site to search/browse/select and add items to your Watch List, then just bring up your Watch List on the iPad for viewing. Pretty nice.

One other thing -- Amazon offers a 1-month free trial of Prime, so you can try it out for free!

Last edited:

s2h2golf

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
No playback for jailbroken devices. Anyone else experience this?

I imagine we'll be seeing a hack to overcome this issue via Cydia in the coming days....hopefully!

Someone noted earlier that you have to get xCon from Cydia.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
That's my question too - i'm not a prime member but i'm debating btw prime and netflix
I have both, and I can tell you from experience that if you are not impressed with Netflix, you will be less impressed with Prime. Pretty much everything in Prime is available in Netflix except a few odd movies and an occasional old episode of things like Dr. Who. There are a few notable exceptions like Fringe which has the first three seasons on Amazon but is not on Netflix at all. Otherwise though, you are better off with Netflix. Prime video is a great perk if you already get prime for free shipping and the Kindle lending library, but solely as a video subscription service it pales compared to Netflix or Hulu Plus. Plus the Amazon prime site is a mess. It's really hard to find anything unless you know what you are looking for and TV shows are broken up by season, which is a pain.

The on demand video on the other hand has an incredible selection and prices comparable to iTunes. I use that service frequently for shows that aren't available on Netflix or Prime. I'm glad Amazon finally has an app for their video, but it's disappointing that it's iPad only. The Netflix app has been on the iPhone/iPod for a long time and it would be nice to have a universal app.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Feedback I tried to leave them via their requested address. You'll see why "tried" below..

First, I'm appreciative of the new iPad Prime Streaming Video app (it's Waaaay overdue). I've wanted that for ages. Once you get it running on TiVo, then I'm set with everything. :)

However, there's some issues with it. None are going to make me grab my pitchforks and storm the castle, but there is some strangeness.

1) It's iPad only. Why not iPhone as well? Given there's no iPhone flavor, there had to be a conscious reason as to why not. I don't take my iPad everywhere due to size, but my phone does go. In certain circumstances, I could see myself watching something when I'm stuck doing nothing (like DMV or something).

2) AIRPLAY IS BROKEN! When you try and use Airplay to send the show through an AppleTV to the TV set, it only sends the audio. Video stays on the iPad. The WatchESPN app has the same problem. The ESPN app used to work fine over Airplay, but a recent update changed that, and it behaves the same way. What I've read about that problem is that it's a concious effort by the app maker not to let Airplay work. So - WHY? Why is this broken? Yes, I know I can play it on my PS3 & my 360. But to fire them all up, run the app, find what I want, play it.. It's a lot quicker given the nature of iOS to run it there, and stream it via Airplay. So again - why did you guys disable this? If you did not, then it needs to be fixed. That Airplay doesn't work right seriously impacts the usability of this app.

3) On the page for this that you link from the front page of Amazon, you ask folks to send feedback via email to this address: ipad-aiv-feedback@amazon.com I tried - twice. Both times the address bounced. If you're gonna publish an address and ask for feedback, it should bloody well work!

Overall, it's very good that this app exists (finally). But if you finish off the job, and make this work properly, then it'd probably be my goto app, and I can finally kiss Netflix goodbye.

"it should bloody well work!" Are you sure you're from Texas and not Britain? I have Tivo also and love it. Recording over the air broadcasts is great. Yeah the amazon experience on Tivo has been really bad so far. I hope they actually flesh this app. out so it does it all. If it doesn't work with airplay then it's an epic fail.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Prime video is a great perk if you already get prime for free shipping and the Kindle lending library, but solely as a video subscription service it pales compared to Netflix or Hulu Plus. Plus the Amazon prime site is a mess. It's really hard to find anything unless you know what you are looking for and TV shows are broken up by season, which is a pain.

I completely agree.

I had a month free trial to the Amazon Prime service, and it was excruciatingly difficult to find something to watch. The web site was a mess, and the whole thing is just not as nice as Netflix is.

Netflix is made for watching movies and it's a nice experience - only problem is that it's sorely lacking in good content, while Amazon Prime streaming service is just god-awful.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
iPhone and Apple TV please, if this gets on Apple TV I will get it. But I am carious when is the next generation of Apple TV coming out?

----------

I completely agree.

I had a month free trial to the Amazon Prime service, and it was excruciatingly difficult to find something to watch. The web site was a mess, and the whole thing is just not as nice as Netflix is.

Netflix is made for watching movies and it's a nice experience - only problem is that it's sorely lacking in good content, while Amazon Prime streaming service is just god-awful.

Amazon prime streaming good for most of the TV series missing on Netflix such as Fringe and few others. As for movies yes terrible, Netflix has more but my real problem is on my Sony Blu Ray BDP-S780 I do nto get 1080p 5.1 surround for Netflix but from Amazon Prime I do get 5.1 surround and 720P. Even though Amazon prime gets HD and surround the surround sound sounds terrible, I noticed sometimes my receiver rather saying Dolby 5.1 or LPCM 5.1 it ijsut goes 5.1 and you can tell something is wrong with the sound.

Only streaming I find high end quality is VUDU only sad thing is it is not Netflix or Amazon Prime. I just wish that Sony would work with Netflix and Amazon for UI improvement also, Amazon Prime missing instant que aka Watch list.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Get a 360Slim. It's really worth it. And if you already have one and think it's loud - get your device checked. It should be silent (speaking from experience of nearly two years)

Have one. It is much quieter than the old but it is nowhere near silent--not like the Apple TV or my Blu ray player. And I know there's nothing wrong with it as it's not the only one I've encountered.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
It's not working for me on my iPad (3rd-Generation.) I get an error "Warning. Playback is not allowed on this device." iPad is on iOS 5.1.1. I rebooted it, removed and reinstalled the app, but no go. I wonder if the app checks the iPad if it's jailbroken, which mine is.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Is this going to be like the Kindle app where you can download things you've purchased elsewhere, but you can't actually purchase something in the app?
Yeah, I'm also curious how this will work since Apple always wants a cut of everything, even if the other party is the one that provides everything. Amazon has the brand name, they have the videos, they have the sync service, a quick and simple payment system, yet they have to pay Apple? For what?

edit: Yeah just realized what Apple wants their cut for. Consumer access. Meaning Apple thinks consumers that are on ios are their property, that they can sell them to businesses that want access.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.