Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jRhett02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Utah
Here's the problem i have. I just got an ATV 3rd Gen and copied a bunch of movies from a friend to my iTunes (using an external 2TB drive connected with firewire of iTunes). when I try watching a movie like Lord of the Rings which is over 4GB the audio is just a bit off. Not enough you can't watch the movie but just enough it bugs you for the entire 2.5 hours. We have slow internet, only 2ish megabits but the computer iTunes is on has 8GB of ram. The ATV is connected to a Samsung Plasma, 720P @ 60Hz.

The movie plays great when I watch it on the iMac so what could be causing the problem? I have tried re-uploading some of the movies, reseting the ATV, letting the movies load a bunch (that options sucks because to let LOTR's load ALL the way takes almost an hour and I have't done that).

Thanks,

rhino89

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Sorry that I'm not actually answering your question, but by coincidence I ran into this same problem yesterday. I hope someone here has an idea as to what causes that.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Here's the problem i have. I just got an ATV 3rd Gen and copied a bunch of movies from a friend to my iTunes (using an external 2TB drive connected with firewire of iTunes). when I try watching a movie like Lord of the Rings which is over 4GB the audio is just a bit off. Not enough you can't watch the movie but just enough it bugs you for the entire 2.5 hours. We have slow internet, only 2ish megabits but the computer iTunes is on has 8GB of ram. The ATV is connected to a Samsung Plasma, 720P @ 60Hz.

The movie plays great when I watch it on the iMac so what could be causing the problem? I have tried re-uploading some of the movies, reseting the ATV, letting the movies load a bunch (that options sucks because to let LOTR's load ALL the way takes almost an hour and I have't done that).

Thanks,
Is the audio from the tv or are you using an AVR?

jRhett02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Utah
The audio is from the TV its self. The HDMI I'm using is an older one (around 5 year old I think) so I have ordered a new one from amazon.com that should be here today.

But like I said, this is only happening to movies that are around 4GB or bigger and only when I'm watching them on the ATV. iTunes works great.

I'm not sure if the ATV creates an ad-hock network with the iMac or if it uses the wireless network from my router.

My neighbor and I are sharing the internet (reduce individual cost) and he has a Netgear wireless router. I have an Apple Airport Extreme boosting the signal and get full bars on all my wireless indicators.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I can try re-recording some of the videos however since many of them are from my friend I'm not sure the method was used in the first place.

Recoding is not a good idea. Select the file in iTunes and do Control-I. On the Summary page, it should say what the file was encoded with. Let us know what you find.

jRhett02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Utah
File Information

Screen+Shot+2012-08-03+at+4.00.22+PM.png

Here is the information from a file that doing this.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Here is the information from a file that doing this.

That's not the information I was looking for. That's a Get Info on the file. You have to go into iTunes, select the movie and hit Control-I (or go up under the file menu and select it). That brings up the metadata that is in iTunes and the summary page of that metadata will say what program was used to encode the movie.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Your internet speed is irrelevant but your wifi speed may be an issue if you are "sharing" a network, and that network may have other traffic on it (neighbor), you have walls, distance, interferences etc.

To diagnose you can:

1) connect your aTV to your mac using ethernet
2) start the movie, pause, then let the movie completely load before playing

Both of those methods remove the wifi bandwidth/speed from the equation. If you still have an audio sync issue using either of those 2 methods, it must be the source file. You get what you get with torrent downloads and there is nothing to be done at that point.

I have a 12GB LOTR file (2 1080p discs combined) that plays with no issues on my aTV3 using my home wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.