Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
I have a late 2010 11" MBA (1.6 C2D, 4GB, 128GB). I installed ML yesterday when it came out. I actually did a clean install by making a USB boot disk. Since upgrading, I've noticed the battery life is extremely poor. It's losing about 1-2% every minute with nothing running other than Chrome. As I've been typing this message, it's gone from 87% to 84%. Activity monitor shows 97% idle. Has anyone else been experiencing this? I'm about to do another clean install to see if it fixes it since at this rate, the battery won't even last an hour. For reference, with Lion, I could get between 4 and 6 hours with web use.

Now at 82%.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a late 2010 11" MBA (1.6 C2D, 4GB, 128GB). I installed ML yesterday when it came out. I actually did a clean install by making a USB boot disk. Since upgrading, I've noticed the battery life is extremely poor. It's losing about 1-2% every minute with nothing running other than Chrome. As I've been typing this message, it's gone from 87% to 84%. Activity monitor shows 97% idle. Has anyone else been experiencing this? I'm about to do another clean install to see if it fixes it since at this rate, the battery won't even last an hour. For reference, with Lion, I could get between 4 and 6 hours with web use.

Now at 82%.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.
Also, if a drive is constantly active or your CPU utilization is high (possibly with increased temps and fan speed) when you're not running any major apps, you can check to see if Spotlight is indexing by looking at the Menu Bar icon:
attachment.php
(not indexing)
attachment.php
(indexing) (pulsing dot)​
When it's indexing, you may also see increased CPU and RAM usage by the mds and mdworker processes in Activity Monitor.

You can also try resetting the SMC.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Last edited:

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Spotlight is not indexing.

Forgot about the SMC reset-thanks for the reminder. Will give that a try too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 10.57.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 10.57.17 PM.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 420

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I'm also on a Late 2010 MBA but I see no difference in battery life since updating to ML. I'm seeing an average of about 10-15% battery drop every hour over yesterday and so far today. That's with iTunes, Safari, Messages, Mail and Numbers open.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I've read a lot of stuff recently on how Chrome ffects your Mac's battery. Try using Safari for a while and see if the issue perseveres.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
I did the SMC reset, and also did a full discharge/recharge. Didn't help. With nothing (I mean, NOTHING) running, I'm losing 1-2% per minute. At one time yesterday, there was a netauth something process (can't recall exactly) consuming 99% of my CPU with nothing running.

Again, while typing this message, I've gone from 94% to 92%. Guess it's back to Lion.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I did the SMC reset, and also did a full discharge/recharge. Didn't help. With nothing (I mean, NOTHING) running, I'm losing 1-2% per minute. At one time yesterday, there was a netauth something process (can't recall exactly) consuming 99% of my CPU with nothing running.

Again, while typing this message, I've gone from 94% to 92%. Guess it's back to Lion.

I have/had the same machine running mountain lion. Battery life no worse than on Lion.
Is Spotlight indexing?
You can try going back to Lion, but I don't think Mountain Lion is necessarily the cause. You could also try reinstalling mountain lion in case something wonky happened during install. I'd let it sit on power, awake overnight and make sure some normal process isn't running. Lot it run it's course and finish.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I have a late 2010 11" MBA (1.6 C2D, 4GB, 128GB). I installed ML yesterday when it came out. I actually did a clean install by making a USB boot disk. Since upgrading, I've noticed the battery life is extremely poor. It's losing about 1-2% every minute with nothing running other than Chrome. As I've been typing this message, it's gone from 87% to 84%. Activity monitor shows 97% idle.
How is Activity Monitor showing 97% idle when your very own screenshot shows Chrome alone using almost 8% CPU while idle? Chrome uses a lot of CPU, and don't underestimate the affect the flash plugin uses, even on simple banner ads.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Do you have ANY accessories? Maybe disable them all and wait for a whole to see if it solves the problem.

Start by unplugging all things USB, and turn off WiFi and Bluetooth. Restart. Does the power consumption problem remain? This may help you narrow down the cause.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
How is Activity Monitor showing 97% idle when your very own screenshot shows Chrome alone using almost 8% CPU while idle? Chrome uses a lot of CPU, and don't underestimate the affect the flash plugin uses, even on simple banner ads.

It fluxuates. When I was typing, it showed Chrome using ~1% CPU. I guess it went up a bit when I was taking the screenshot.

I have/had the same machine running mountain lion. Battery life no worse than on Lion.
Is Spotlight indexing?
You can try going back to Lion, but I don't think Mountain Lion is necessarily the cause. You could also try reinstalling mountain lion in case something wonky happened during install. I'd let it sit on power, awake overnight and make sure some normal process isn't running. Lot it run it's course and finish.
Spotlight is not indexing. And, with all due respect, I don't see how ML is NOT the cause, since I had none of these issues with the same software on Lion. Unless you're implying it's some piece of software's incompatibility with Lion. In that case, I guess it's possible, but still, running on Lion did not cause me these issues.

Do you have ANY accessories? Maybe disable them all and wait for a whole to see if it solves the problem.

Start by unplugging all things USB, and turn off WiFi and Bluetooth. Restart. Does the power consumption problem remain? This may help you narrow down the cause.
No accessories. Just WiFi running. Again, same config as with Lion. So, if by some chance it was WiFi causing the excessive drain, again I would point to ML as this was not the case on Lion.

I am going to do another clean install today to see what happens. If that still doesn't work, I'm going to have to go back to Lion since I can't use a laptop that will only run for an hour on its battery.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
No accessories. Just WiFi running. Again, same config as with Lion. So, if by some chance it was WiFi causing the excessive drain, again I would point to ML as this was not the case on Lion.
Of course the ML update seems to be the cause. I mentioned hardware because something like a USB webcam or a wireless mouse or other accessory causes the OS to load a device driver, and it's possible that the device driver could cause such a problem. Just trying to help :)

I'd hate to be going through the hassle you're going through.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Of course the ML update seems to be the cause. I mentioned hardware because something like a USB webcam or a wireless mouse or other accessory causes the OS to load a device driver, and it's possible that the device driver could cause such a problem. Just trying to help :)

I'd hate to be going through the hassle you're going through.

Sorry, just been getting frustrated by this. I've never had to live next to an outlet with a MacBook Air before, but now I don't feel confident in being away from one for more than 30-45 minutes. Hopefully, a full reinstall fixes whatever's up its butt.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Well, I did a full clean reinstall today. No significant change. With Activity Monitor showing ~98% idle, I'm still losing 1-2% per minute. With any application open, it's more like 2-3% per minute. I've also noticed that, even when Activity Monitor SAYS it's mostly idling, the machine gets really hot and the fans start blowing. The only time it ever did that with Lion was when I was doing something that had Flash. Now, it's happening with no apps open.

WTH.

I guess I'm just going back to Lion. Between the battery life and SMB shares being even MORE broken than Lion, ML is just not worth the frustration.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
You are not alone, my mid-2009 MBP has been running hotter since going to ML, and my battery life has been significantly decreased. You post prompted me to time my MBP, and I am dropping 1% ever 1-2 minutes.

Activity Monitor shows nothing out of the ordinary, and I am only running Safari and Mail. I have my graphics set to Higher Performance, however at this rate I am averaging just under two hours per charge which is extremely low. And my battery only has 351 cycles, so much for that 1000 cycle claim when the Unibody was announced.

Time for a trip to the Genius Bar, ugh!

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
You can install smcfancontrol and watch your fan speeds in the menu bar without actually telling it to control your fan speed - I think the normal default setting for an Air is 2000 but it'll go up quickly if the temp spikes due to an app or flash

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Well, I did a full clean reinstall today. No significant change. With Activity Monitor showing ~98% idle, I'm still losing 1-2% per minute. With any application open, it's more like 2-3% per minute. I've also noticed that, even when Activity Monitor SAYS it's mostly idling, the machine gets really hot and the fans start blowing. The only time it ever did that with Lion was when I was doing something that had Flash. Now, it's happening with no apps open.

WTH.

I guess I'm just going back to Lion. Between the battery life and SMB shares being even MORE broken than Lion, ML is just not worth the frustration.

I presume you flipped the setting in activity monitor to look at all processes and not just your own? If it still shows nothing running, could be a firmware issue chewing up CPU before Mountain Lion ever sees it.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
A bit different because I am running a MBP, but I went by the Apple Store, they replaced the battery. Obviously, losing 1% every 1-2 minutes is not okay, and my battery only had 351 cycles on it (they advertised the Unibody to last 1000 cycles).

New battery did absolutely nothing, reset SMC did nothing. I then spent over an hour on the phone with Apple, and got no where other than being told to go back to the Genius Bar and have them find the problem, after their diagnostic turned up nothing. Very frustrating, I think it is a ML problem. But if a clean install, battery, etc won't fix it I'm not sure what will.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
I presume you flipped the setting in activity monitor to look at all processes and not just your own? If it still shows nothing running, could be a firmware issue chewing up CPU before Mountain Lion ever sees it.

Correct. All processes are showing. Nothing running, drain is still 2-4% per minute.

A bit different because I am running a MBP, but I went by the Apple Store, they replaced the battery. Obviously, losing 1% every 1-2 minutes is not okay, and my battery only had 351 cycles on it (they advertised the Unibody to last 1000 cycles).

New battery did absolutely nothing, reset SMC did nothing. I then spent over an hour on the phone with Apple, and got no where other than being told to go back to the Genius Bar and have them find the problem, after their diagnostic turned up nothing. Very frustrating, I think it is a ML problem. But if a clean install, battery, etc won't fix it I'm not sure what will.

That's not encouraging. I'm beginning to think the C2D MacBooks (Air or otherwise) just aren't all that compatible with Lion.

<conspiracy>Maybe this is Apple's way of getting people to upgrade. The "fix" is simple-buy a new laptop! :)</conspiracy>

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Just keep in mind that these issues, while incredibly frustrating for the people involved, don't seem to be normal for most users.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
It is not normal, I asked Apple point blank, is this a documented Mountain Lion issue, and they said no. So it is not widespread, however for the few people affected by this it's a real pain.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
So it is not widespread, however for the few people affected by this it's a real pain.

This.

Just keep in mind that these issues, while incredibly frustrating for the people involved, don't seem to be normal for most users.

While I get the point that this may not be normal for EVERYONE, I do kind of get a little frustrated when people downplay the impact of this type of thing for those of us that ARE affected. Kind of reminds me of "Antennagate"-I was affected by that, and got really tired of people telling me how it clearly wasn't a problem since THEY were not affected.

Just because one person doesn't have an issue, doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.