Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Just found out they removed the Activity window from Safari 6, which was used to download various content from web pages, like YouTube videos. After googling around, there seems to be no way to bring it back, unless you roll back to Safari 5.

So, the least you can do is make Apple know of your needs - write to Apple Feedback!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

The more people would do this, the more likely Apple will fix it.

bonjean

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
good news...

Hey guys, I just ran into the same problem. I wanted to grab higher quality versions of Yacht Rock from Channel101.com for offline viewing. My old habit would be to open the Activity window and option-double click on the largest file that was still loading (i have slow internet). i was sad to see that activity was no longer in the window menu. My next thought was to view the page source and find the .mp4 or .avi or .swf or whatever and copy that link. I can't believe they removed Show Page Source too!

Anyway, the good news is that most of the functionality of both the source viewer and the activity window are still in Safari 6. If you check "Show Develop in Menu bar" under Advanced in Safari's Preferences you can then select "Show Page Resources" from said Develop menu and videos will usually show up under the "Other" heading once they start loading. You can then double-click on them and they will download. I was happy to find a new way of grabbing web videos when I want them without having to install an extension and thought I'd share.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For downloading YouTube videos, if you're using Safari and have ClickToFlash installed, first try right-clicking the video to see if "Download Video" is an option.

You can also use ClipGrab or KeepVid or similar apps or sites.

To download via Safari 5:

While viewing the video just click "Window > Activity" then identify the video in the list of elements (it will likely show something like "258K of 1.8MB" and will be the largest file on the list.
attachment.php
Hold the option key down and double-click the file to download.

There have been mixed reports about the availability of this functionality in Safari 6, using the Develop menu.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
If you check "Show Develop in Menu bar" under Advanced in Safari's Preferences you can then select "Show Page Resources" from said Develop menu and videos will usually show up under the "Other" heading once they start loading. You can then double-click on them and they will download. I was happy to find a new way of grabbing web videos when I want them without having to install an extension and thought I'd share.

Doesn't work at me:

there is no video for download on youtube.com..

brunitou

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Anyway, the good news is that most of the functionality of both the source viewer and the activity window are still in Safari 6. If you check "Show Develop in Menu bar" under Advanced in Safari's Preferences you can then select "Show Page Resources" from said Develop menu and videos will usually show up under the "Other" heading once they start loading. You can then double-click on them and they will download.

Worked for me:
I did as followed: after the developer menu activated, I do a ALT-CMD-A and I clic on the search icon, then typing flv (or avi, swf, ...), then choose one of the scripts on the left panel, then some link appears, starting with http:// and ending by flv, swf or whatever. I cannot double clic but I can copy/paste it, open it in a new tab: it start downloading by itself.

R0b0B0b

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Getting Activity Window back in Safari 6

Hi

Like many of you tried to Google and find out how to do this. Tried the "Safari - Preferences - Advanced" and clicked on the "show Develop menu in menu bar" but was way too confused with all that came up.

Until I saw under the Develop menu "Open Page With" and saw Safari (5.0.5) as one of the options and my problem was solved. The old version of Safari opened up as a separate application on the Dock and I was able to use Activity window once again (all be it on the old 5.0.5 version)

Hope this helps you out it did for me

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Dammit, I used this feature all the time at work. Apple is slowly changing their apps and OS to make them less useful in my job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.