Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this, as I don't really want to make a such an expensive gamble/purchase without knowing for sure.

I was looking at an iPhone 4 which the seller claimed had a bad ESN on Sprint. I checked the MEID on a free ESN checker website, and it confirmed that the ESN was indeed bad for Sprint. However, when I changed the check to Verizon, it said it was good. Then when I checked on Verizon's official Device Eligibility website, it did say "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network."

I know, I know, the first response would be, "So what's the problem?? Go for it!" right?

But I just want to confirm that this actually is possible, and not just some sort of glitch or something. I don't want to be stuck with a phone I can't activate.

Thanks in advance if anyone can share their experience :D

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this, as I don't really want to make a such an expensive gamble/purchase without knowing for sure.

I was looking at an iPhone 4 which the seller claimed had a bad ESN on Sprint. I checked the MEID on a free ESN checker website, and it confirmed that the ESN was indeed bad for Sprint. However, when I changed the check to Verizon, it said it was good. Then when I checked on Verizon's official Device Eligibility website, it did say "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network."

I know, I know, the first response would be, "So what's the problem?? Go for it!" right?

But I just want to confirm that this actually is possible, and not just some sort of glitch or something. I don't want to be stuck with a phone I can't activate.

Thanks in advance if anyone can share their experience :D

No.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011

Have you experienced this? Or did you read the post explaining that the Verizon site said it was good, hence my question and why I was concerned?

----------

What's a bad ESN? A stolen phone?? :eek:

It usually means the owner has a delinquent account (owes money, broke contract early and didn't pay ETF, etc). However it can also mean a phone was reported lost or stolen.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Have you experienced this? Or did you read the post explaining that the Verizon site said it was good, hence my question and why I was concerned?

Not directly. But I do know Verizon will not activate a Sprint cellphone and vice-versa. In fact, all US carriers will refuse to activate a 4S if purchased on another network (despite the fact the 4S supports GSM & CDMA networks and is fully compatible). It's crappy & I really hope this changes.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Speaking just for me - I'd rather pay a little more, and know what I'm getting is going to actually work, than try to get a bargain and wonder if it's going to work.

But hey - maybe that's just me . . .

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Not directly. But I do know Verizon will not activate a Sprint cellphone and vice-versa. In fact, all US carriers will refuse to activate a 4S if purchased on another network (despite the fact the 4S supports GSM & CDMA networks and is fully compatible). It's crappy & I really hope this changes.

Hmm, I see... Well the phone in question was an iPhone 4, so it's just CDMA of course... Maybe that could make the difference? When searching a bit on Google, I did see the same thing you just mentioned about the 4S, but I wasn't able to find any answers about the 4, so that's why I asked here. I really don't know. I was just hoping someone else had tried it or something :)

----------

Speaking just for me - I'd rather pay a little more, and know what I'm getting is going to actually work, than try to get a bargain and wonder if it's going to work.

But hey - maybe that's just me . . .

Oh I understand that completely, and I'm the same way. That's why I posted here, just looking for definitive confirmation either way haha. But a $100 difference is pretty substantial if they're actually the same phone :D

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Hmm, I see... Well the phone in question was an iPhone 4, so it's just CDMA of course... Maybe that could make the difference? When searching a bit on Google, I did see the same thing you just mentioned about the 4S, but I wasn't able to find any answers about the 4, so that's why I asked here. I really don't know. I was just hoping someone else had tried it or something :)

It's for any phone. I just used the iPhone 4S as an example because it is fully compatible to run on any network & carriers still refuse it (as in, carriers can't use excuses like 'it won't work properly on our network').

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.