Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thank you so much for sharing how to check the panel specs for each model. Turns out I have the LG panel and color uniformity is way off. The upper portion of the display is reddish.

Fortunately already in the process of replacement for a different issue: crooked key.

Does Apple let you keep your laptop until the replacement comes in? Mine seems to have some uniformity problems now that I look at it

steviemt

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
I have a Samsung screen and it has backlight bleeding on the right side, but mainly in the right corner. It also has a red tint to it. I'm not sure though. Like is that what all screens are supposed to really be? All I know is that when I compare it to all my other devices I use it looks very red. I'm thinking it's a defect. Does everybody else's screens have a reddish look when compared to other screens?

wiznet

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Canada
Samsung.

Slight, slight image retention. You have to really look for it.

Also, slight light bleed. Once again, very slight.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
LG was on my first model. Had really bad light bleed. One side was pink the other side was yellow. Replacement model had the same exact issue and AGAIN was LG panel. Getting it replaced AGAIN tomorrow.:mad:

Robin Chung

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Netherlands
Does Apple let you keep your laptop until the replacement comes in? Mine seems to have some uniformity problems now that I look at it
Almost, I'm pleased with how it went overall. :)

They ordered a new one straight away with priority shipping and let me keep the current one for a couple of days. Expecting a call from pickup tomorrow.

Expected delivery: August 7-16 to NL

spdntrxi

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Why does apple still do business with LG? Every product they release the samsung panel is worlds better.

LG with no issues.. Samsung and Apple locked in heated battle in court.. I'm sure Apple would love to drop Samsung if they could, but in this world you need multiple sources.

ekovalsky

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
2.6/16/512 rMBP

Color LCD
LSN154YL01001
DLM2247006MF49GAQ

No dead pixels, super bright and pure white, excellent uniformity, no significant backlight bleeding, no perceptible ghosting or persistence. I have to say - Perfection!

Zach23

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Got my replacement only a few hours ago and it's a samsung! So far perfect. We'll have to see if anything comes up.

UrbanDweller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Got my replacement only a few hours ago and it's a samsung! So far perfect. We'll have to see if anything comes up.

did you have a base model that you were just able to exchange in the store? It blows that the store doesn't carry any of the upgraded models in stock for a quick exchange.

by the way, is the 14day return policy from the time the mac ships or from when it's delivered?

Zach23

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
did you have a base model that you were just able to exchange in the store? It blows that the store doesn't carry any of the upgraded models in stock for a quick exchange.

by the way, is the 14day return policy from the time the mac ships or from when it's delivered?

Well I got mine from the store so I'm not sure about your question. I did just go do a swap at the store as it was only about 5-6 days old. The stores I've been to had all three models even including the 768gb one. This is in Toronto.
So far I'm really happy with this one.

ryane67

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
LG with extremely light ghosting, it doesnt really bother me but ive got a few days left on my first 14. Unsure if I will do anything about it yet.

Since this is a BTO model, I dont really want to screw around with replacement on something the isnt a huge issue to me.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Anandtech tested the LG and said it was the best laptop display ever. Also said that it was better than the iPad 3 display. So it really can't be all that bad.

mac3609

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
Samsung, thought I got a good screen with no dead pixels initially but after 4 weeks of used and I finally noticed 1 today at a regular viewing distance. Really pisses me off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.