Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chemtw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Hey Guys,
I am having a problem with my new powerbook G4 that I just bought. I have only had it for three days. Last night while I was browsing using safari, more specfically watching trailers from the Apple website, My computer froze. The track arrow froze. So I used the power button to shut it down and restart. Today it froze while I was doing some research for my Ornithology class, it froze and then when I was on this site it froze. I used the option apple esc process to end the safari browser. and then restarted the browser. Does anyone have suggestions of settings I should check? Thanks for your help in advance.

chemtw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
It happened again

It happened again. I was listening to bird calls in real player. and it froze up again. This is why I switched from PC to Mac. So please tell me its a simple setting. How do I look in Console or in activity Monitor to look for crashes? Thanks again in advance.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
do what i said for activity monitor not that hard.

get rid of real because it sucks, and look at your console

both programs are in applications --> Utilities

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
This problem sounds like a hardware issue. Namely memory.

By any chance did you purchase this PowerBook from a vendor that offered additional RAM? Places like MacMall or MacWarehouse aren't known for their quality memory.

chemtw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
tfaz1 said:
This problem sounds like a hardware issue. Namely memory.

By any chance did you purchase this PowerBook from a vendor that offered additional RAM? Places like MacMall or MacWarehouse aren't known for their quality memory.
No actually it came with only the stock memory
How can I test this?
Thanks

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
do you have applecare? If so there is the tech disc that comes with it, and can run hardware diagnostics and will tell you if there is anything the matter with your RAM

or you could try booting from the OS X install disc and try to repair the HD through that, just incase it is hardware issue

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If you just bought it I would call applecare. It is not uncommon for people to receieve bum apple products the first time. I had a 1.8GHz PowerMac that was doing the exact same thing within days of having purchased it. I called applecare and they said it sounded like a bad unit. I had to return it and I got my powerbook in its place. I would give applecare a call while you are still in the window to do a no hassle exchange.

chemtw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
And a new Mac user is going to know what you are talking about and where to find these?

More specifics would be welcome in this case.

I Just spoke with apple tech support. They said they think its the memory sticks or the memory Bank. They want me to send it back to them. This Sucks, cause I needed it this week for some projects. Do you think that they could provide me with something like some sort of make up gift? I was thinking of asking for applecare or some program for free, what do you think. I mean after all it is a machine that is over 2000k. Any suggestions? Thanks

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
chemtw said:
I Just spoke with apple tech support. They said they think its the memory sticks or the memory Bank. They want me to send it back to them. This Sucks, cause I needed it this week for some projects. Do you think that they could provide me with something like some sort of make up gift? I was thinking of asking for applecare or some program for free, what do you think. I mean after all it is a machine that is over 2000k. Any suggestions? Thanks
Think big and generic, iPod. Word on the street is they have a ton in storage that aren't moving ;) You could always sell it if you have one already.

chemtw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
rockthecasbah said:
Think big and generic, iPod. Word on the street is they have a ton in storage that aren't moving ;) You could always sell it if you have one already.

How do I go about asking for it?
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.