Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Thats exactly why Apple is purposely leaking these designs and they are fakes. To get people off their scent and then they will unveil a totally new iPhone...

I hope you're joking...

But if not. Apple is VERY predictable.

We've seen the new iPhone over and over and over... That's what we're getting. Probably with new features that haven't been leaked yet.

They aren't "throwing people off" or "leaking designs"

The iPhone leaked off the assembly line. That's what we're getting. No surprise random radical new iPhone.

No Smd

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
This website now start me puking!!
Every F%&/(O day there is some speculations on this $%&/() iThings

From today you have lost a user, *****ite!!!

It is called Macrumors talking about rumored apple products and if there are a lot of rumors about the "iPhone 5" then they will post it. The closer you are to a release date the more rumors come out in example no one is talking about the iPad 4 until after the iPhone 5 release.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It just seems an apple news site wouldn't want to perpetuate idiotic nomenclature.
There is no iPhone 5 and the writers for this site should know that better than most

For better or for worse, "iPhone 5" is the name that everyone has coalesced around, even the mainstream media at times. Just think of it as a means to identify what we're talking about...nothing more than that.

We could call it "Purple Goober" (which is probably an actual Android device somewhere), but when any report says "iPhone 5", everyone immediately knows what we're talking about. It serves its purpose.

It's going to be "the new iPhone" anyway.

This website now start me puking!!
Every F%&/(O day there is some speculations on this $%&/() iThings

From today you have lost a user, *****ite!!!

Odd that you're just now puking over coverage we've been doing for years.

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
You mean "The new iPhone" or "iPhone 6". The 5th one came out last year.

You're both wrong. Because of Apple's intense focus on China, it's going to be called the iPhone 8.

This is because 8 is a considered very lucky and fortuitous number in China, and Chinese consumers will pay more for something with "8" in its name.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
This is some interesting stuff. Seems that we're seeing the new generation of Gorilla Glass which is a nice upgrade. It's also great to see that they've managed to put in the 4 inch, 16:9 screen without increasing the size of the device much. It's, what, few millimetres taller? But the screen is a fair chunk larger which I know some people have been asking for.

I really don't get the constant moaning about the rumoured updated form factor. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and all that jazz, but haven't we done that enough? Couldn't we have one of these threads without moaning about the way it supposedly looks, arguing about the name and whinging about the "stretched" screen. You've got a 4 inch, 16:9 screen - that's pretty close to what most people have been asking for, and yet people still moan! I guess people just love to complain and that's fine and all, but can't we use this thread to discuss, you know, the new information?

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011

loser.gif

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
This is some interesting stuff. Seems that we're seeing the new generation of Gorilla Glass which is a nice upgrade. It's also great to see that they've managed to put in the 4 inch, 16:9 screen without increasing the size of the device much. It's, what, few millimetres taller? But the screen is a fair chunk larger which I know some people have been asking for.

I really don't get the constant moaning about the rumoured updated form factor. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and all that jazz, but haven't we done that enough? Couldn't we have one of these threads without moaning about the way it supposedly looks, arguing about the name and whinging about the "stretched" screen. You've got a 4 inch, 16:9 screen - that's pretty close to what most people have been asking for, and yet people still moan! I guess people just love to complain and that's fine and all, but can't we use this thread to discuss, you know, the new information?

This video don't offer much to discuss about, so therefore ppls debate the good old crap :)

badtiming

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Does this mean that the screen will have a new aspect ratio? Not the 640x960 of the 4S that most apps are designed for?

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
The New iPhone
or
iPhone 4GS

GS for good-sized screen
GS for great screen
GS for giant screen

MsQueen

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
Baltimore, MD
iPhon 6?

There was never an iPhone 5. Just like it went from 3G to 3GS then 4, it will go from 4 to 4S, then 5. It's not gonna skip 5, and go right to 6. And I highly doubt Apple will name this coming iPhone "the New iPhone."

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
So the new iPhone will look like an out of proportion long skinny version of the 4S? More like the shape of an old candy bar style phone?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
The scratch test was interesting. Everything else, I really don't care about. Give me a new iPhone, thats all I'm asking for! Thanks!

I love the ending... "Visit our forum at doubla doubla doubla dot..." HEHE

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
is Apple really going with the same form / case design?
I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what about innovation and progress... lets move forward with something different:p

Innovation, progress and "something different" aren't the same thing. A larger screen is not "innovation", and it's only progress if it makes something better. I different shape isn't "innovation" and it's only progress if, as above, it makes something better.

If you want different there are loads of options out there. But innovation and progress are far removed from change for the sake of change and I'm glad Apple doesn't feel the need to go down that road.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I hate the name iPhone 5 because I'm so critical about product numbering. So many people I know call it that and it drives me crazy. Oh well...I'm still trying to decide if I will switch to the iPhone 6 or stay with my Lumia 900:D

I'd switch to the iPhone 6, because any premium phone coming out in 2014 is bound to be better than one coming out this year... ;)

Also, I will still be highly disappointed if the "New iPhone" comes out looking anything like these leaks. The design of the 4/4S is very good but can be improved - scale the screen in all dimensions to 4" or even better 4.3" (no bigger) and then add an iPad style radius to the back to make it sit more easily in the hand. One of the complaints about the 4 style was always the slightly uncomfortable squared edges in hand.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
I'm getting used to the 16:9 screen ratio. The problem is that - compared to the Galaxy S3 and the HTC One X which also come with 16:9 - the iPhone is way too tall, because Apple somehow felt like keeping both a rather large home button and a top bezel that has the same height as the bottom one. In other words, while the 16:9 screen is not that bad by itself, not significantly reducing the top and bottom bezel make the iPhone look more like a longPhone. I am both surprised and shocked this design seems to have been approved by Jonathan Ive. On the other hand, the 11" MBA is similar design fail due to the 16:9 screen. :rolleyes:

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
This video don't offer much to discuss about, so therefore ppls debate the good old crap :)

Doesn't it? I think the semi-confirmation of the new generation Gorilla Glass is pretty neat. The implications of the higher transparency, along with what we sort of know about in cell technology in the screen, are cool too.

There may well be only a little detail here but at least it's not the same old rubbish!

WakeUpDrunk

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2012
There was never an iPhone 5. Just like it went from 3G to 3GS then 4, it will go from 4 to 4S, then 5. It's not gonna skip 5, and go right to 6. And I highly doubt Apple will name this coming iPhone "the New iPhone."

According to your logic, why was "2" skipped?

It went to 4 because it was the 4th generation iPhone.

iPhone (1st Gen)
iPhone 3G (2nd Gen)
iPhone 3GS (3rd Gen)
iPhone 4 (FOURTH Gen)
iPhone 4S (5th Gen)
iPhone...?? (6th Gen)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Johnny must have took a vacation or something. So much for a NEW design. Basically they tweaked the iPhone 4...again. I love the design and all, but I guess they are turning the iPhone into the Macbook...basically keeping the same design for YEARS but tweaking it.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Next iPhone the entire front should just be a screen and the home button should be on the side or top. lol

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Innovation, progress and "something different" aren't the same thing. A larger screen is not "innovation", and it's only progress if it makes something better. I different shape isn't "innovation" and it's only progress if, as above, it makes something better.

If you want different there are loads of options out there. But innovation and progress are far removed from change for the sake of change and I'm glad Apple doesn't feel the need to go down that road.

There's a "bigger is better" mentality that pervades the consumer space. But ironically if part of their design mantra was "oh we'll make the next one bigger" doesn't that mean that every previous model was never the right size to begin with? Size isn't really a deal breaker here. If you add one diagonal inch to the iPhone's screen, without increasing the PPI substantially, how much marginal improvement is there on the user experience? What does it take away from the compactness and fit in your hand, though?

It's clear that Apple has tested a lot of designs and what seems good at the time may not actually work out all that well when tested against a broad range of consumers. Larger size may also have engineering implications like tensile strength of the glass... how much thicker does the glass have to be? How much more cost will be added to the product? Are all those detriments going to be adequately offset by the marginal improvement in user experience?

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
I hope you're joking...

But if not. Apple is VERY predictable.

We've seen the new iPhone over and over and over... That's what we're getting. Probably with new features that haven't been leaked yet.

They aren't "throwing people off" or "leaking designs"

The iPhone leaked off the assembly line. That's what we're getting. No surprise random radical new iPhone.

Then why would Tim Cook say that Apple is
going to double down on secrecy. He also said that they would go to any measures to secure future products. As far as I'm concerned, this is drastic measures. It's genius. We'll just see on September 12th. I'm writing your name down

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.