Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacman7331

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2006
LS or Samsung Display with 1 or a cluster of dead pixels. Getting replacement through apple care... hoping this drama doesn't drag on...

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Samsung, thought I got a good screen with no dead pixels initially but after 4 weeks of used and I finally noticed 1 today at a regular viewing distance. Really pisses me off.

They seem to pop up after some use. At least that's what happened to mine after 1 week. Am waiting for the replacement.

mac3609

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
They seem to pop up after some use. At least that's what happened to mine after 1 week. Am waiting for the replacement.

Atleast yours is still within the initial 2 weeks of purchase time. I highly doubt they will do anything in the morning even though the AppleCare girl said it is not good for the problem to happen. I accepted this computer to have very minor case cosmetic problems and backlight bleeding, but I will not accept dead pixel problem to happen so soon. My old Sony didn't have spot problems until 3 years later.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
LG with yellow tint + dimness. The LG one I had before this had the same issue. Thinking I might just have Apple replace the screen and make sure it's a Samsung...

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
All these issues with the rMBP IPS screens really has me spooked.

There's a lengthy thread over at the Apple support forums where they've come to the conclusion that all LG panels are affected by "display burn-in" and should be returned:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4034848?start=0&tstart=0

What worries me the most is that many users have reported display burn-in symptoms or an onset of dead pixels after the 14-day return period. Most return appeals were rejected by the Apple Store managers in these cases.

Some buyers have simply reordered again and agin until a Samsung display was delivered! And even a minority of these displays are faulty.

I'd love to pick up a new rMBP, especially now that we have the option to purchase a BTO 2.3/16/512 model, but am waiting until these display issues are resolved.

mac3609

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012

There's a lengthy thread over at the Apple support forums where they've come to the conclusion that all LG panels are affected by "display burn-in" and should be returned:

What worries me the most is that many users have reported display burn-in symptoms or an onset of dead pixels after the 14-day return period. Most return appeals were rejected by the Apple Store managers in these cases.

Some buyers have simply reordered again and agin until a Samsung display was delivered! And even a minority of these displays are faulty.

I'd love to pick up a new rMBP, especially now that we have the option to purchase a BTO 2.3/16/512 model, but am waiting until these display issues are resolved.

Since you will not get your money back after 14days. So the only option you have left is at the grace of the store whether they want to send it in to fix it for you or get you a replacement or do absolutely nothing until your computer's problem is worsen.

Last edited:

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
LG screen here. Purchased 22 June, received mid July. Seems 99% fine. You can notice very light ghosting - most noticeably on the dock when it minimises during CPU load, but in everything else, it's largely unnoticeable.

Queen6

macrumors G4

More nonsense, you stand the same chance with either LG or Samsung the only differentiator is the volume of units supplied. Be rational people by nature look to vent if they have a bad experience when buying anything, by far the vast silent majority are more than happy with there purchase, however they rarely post on forums.

Until someone can examine a large enough sample, under conditions used by the likes of Anandertech all this talk of X display being far better than Y display is simply conjecture based on posts by; those with no technical background, those that dont even own the product, those that just wish to stir the pot and then sit back, those that do actually have issue yet do not have full knowledge of all the facts.

I for one have a good display, no dead pixels, uniform in colour, only slightly less bright than my Late 2011 15" MBP, no better or worse than I expected, no stuttering, no graphical issues, no cosmetic issues am I in the minority? I think not.......

Last edited:

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
I fully agree with Queen6 on this one. Reading through these forums trying to get information on the rMBP as a potential buyer is like Googling "chest pains" and reading you should call an ambulance immediately because you're having a heart attack!

Dr.Ravencroft

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
Germany
I fully agree with Queen6 on this one. Reading through these forums trying to get information on the rMBP as a potential buyer is like Googling "chest pains" and reading you should call an ambulance immediately because you're having a heart attack!

Well said. I completely agree. In general, both LG and Samsung displays are just gorgeous! As to minority who have problems, these issues can happen both with LG and Samsung. So we'd better stop posting fairy tales of one brand being inferior to another. LG displays have been reviewed and got excellent feedback.

philophob

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
Hi, all

I had my 1st LG display MBPr exchanged with the same MBPr with LG display due to ghosting images.

I had the new unit since yesterday and I have been playing around to see if I get another ghosting images but so far there are none to report.

However, I just found out and read few postings here about yellow tinting.
I also found that MBPr has 20~25% less brightness compared to other Macbook PRO lines. (because of retina and battery performance reasons etc etc)

I compared my MBPr with my GF's new MBA 13 and there are considerable brightness difference.

I took a picture of MBPr and MBA in the dark at full brightness on both units.
I kind of see the yellowish screen with MBPr but I am not sure if it is due to the less bright screen of MBPr.

How do you check if your screen has yellow tinting? Is there any reference that I can used to test my screen? :confused:

Can anyone tell me if I have yellow tint screen?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 290

playsontheleft

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
I've got a Samsung screen and I've not noticed any flaws. It's not visibly tinted (although, weirdly, the Apple logo on the back of the screen seems slightly pink to me?) and I've not experienced noticeable ghosting or dead pixels. Very pleased with it.

edit: hm. I just compared my rMBP's screen to my old MBP and a sheet of white paper. Contrary to what a lot of people are saying, I'm sure that my rMBP's screen is far brighter than the normal MBP's and is far whiter too. However, against the sheet of white paper, it would seem that there's an overall very slight pink tinge to it. I don't know yet if it really bothers me or not, and I'll think about it a bit more since I'm in the return period still, but I thought I'd make note of it here. If anyone would like them, I can post pictures.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.