Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
How many different ways are there to do a rectangular design. The current design is more than sufficient. Now it seems there will be some other material choices. These constant "change for the sake of change" is ridiculous.

Amen to that!
I can't stand all the whining about the look. It's fine. Leave the "look of the day" to other manufactuers who have to do so it looks like they're new.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
I think it would look strange with an asymmetrical front panel. Also, don't forget that there are times when you might be using the phone upside down and that space above the screen works the same way as the space below does - allowing you a place to grip with your thumb.

Does anyone have photoshop who fancies mocking up what this design would look like with less space either above or below the screen, or less space at both ends? I get the feeling it would look really odd.

I agree that android phones have pretty thin bezels, but the iPhone's are too thick. If actually prefer something in between. The problem is the home button, which requires a pretty thick bottom bezel and then extra room below and above the button. Apple has made the bottom bezel almost as thin as possible (for it to look normal with the home button) without changing the home button, and uneven bezels would look weird IMO.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Seeing that home button breaks my heart.

Why?

The single, central home button is a great design feature. Not only does it provide a clear visual signal as to the orientation of the handset (the earpiece and camera can be hard to see on the black model) but it's a nice and easy way for non-technical types to feel comfortable with the phone. You always know how to get back to the home screen from any submenu or inside any app. Just a nice, reassuring, physical button right there in the middle and pop! you're back at the home screen. Sometimes old-skool is the way to go and this one little button is a really useful feature.

Also, it's now iconic, like the click wheel on the iPod. In a world full of almost indistinguishable, black, slab-like devices, the little round home button with the rounded square icon is instantly recognisable. Functional, aesthetically pleasing and iconic - why would you want it to go away?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Then why would Tim Cook say that Apple is
going to double down on secrecy. He also said that they would go to any measures to secure future products. As far as I'm concerned, this is drastic measures. It's genius. We'll just see on September 12th. I'm writing your name down

You really think they wouldn't just go to encrypted emails, removing iOS code mentions, locker and pocket searches to prevent real info getting out. You actually believe they would start some major misinformation campaign.

Oh and the 12th is not confirmed by Apple, just rumor.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
We all knew so much about the iPhone 5 last year...

Remember when the GSIII was certain to have a 1080p display and a ceramic back plate?

Fun to speculate, but nothing is fact.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Sorry to have to correct you, but... iPhone 7 :)

Seventh iPhone because the iPhone 4 got a second version before the 4S: the CDMA model with a new antenna layout and mute switch position. Visibly different (different black antenna bands, lack of SIM tray) and not even fully compatible with all the same cases, requiring a new version of Apple’s Bumper Case.
This is a classic case of failed logic. Same phone just tweaked for the CDMA network.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I agree that android phones have pretty thin bezels, but the iPhone's are too thick. If actually prefer something in between. The problem is the home button, which requires a pretty thick bottom bezel and then extra room below and above the button. Apple has made the bottom bezel almost as thin as possible (for it to look normal with the home button) without changing the home button, and uneven bezels would look weird IMO.

The new front panel has 1.5cm above and below the screen. That's fairly small. I could see why you might want to reduce that a little but the difference would be minimal, wouldn't it? Also, there's a practical element. The space allows you to grip the phone between thumb and forefinger at both ends. Sometimes that can be handy. For instance, when handing your phone to someone, you can hold it between thumb and finger and they can grab the other end the same way. Also useful for some apps where you need to tilt the device. Or, think about when you're lying down, in bed maybe, and you hold the device above you to look at a movie or what have you, without the space to place your thumbs on the front of the device you'd have to grip it quite tightly around the edges. Far less comfy.

I think we can go too far in reducing bezels. Bezels on flat screen TVs and all that, sure, we don't need them. But on portable devices you have to have some place to grip.

laxic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
iPhone 4/4S: 128 ppcm = 12.8 ppmm

iPhone 4S: 76.65 mm x 51.60 mm = 981.12 x 660.48 ~ (960x640)
iPhone 4G: 90.25 mm x 51.60 mm = 1155.2 x 660.48 ~ (1132x640)

Resolution: 1132x640 at 1.75:1

1.75:1 or 7:4 was an early 35 mm widescreen ratio, very close to 1.78:1 or 16:9 ∴ a 16:9 retina display.

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I just can't believe they didn't go for something like this...

Now this is a screen size that I think is a perfect solution, not too big not too small, even just a hair smaller like 4.3" would be alright but not this stretched out garbage were getting.

You do realize that "this stretched out garbage we're getting" is the exact same aspect ratio as the one x you show a picture of?

As for the video, this pretty much confirms gorilla glass 2. Assuming in-cell is happening too given the hoopla around the rumors, the only advance that is questionable is whether its IGZO or not. Given Sharp is making them, it seems likely. This means a thinner device, lower power screen, and display closer to the glass where you actually touch.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I just can't believe they didn't go for something like this...

Now this is a screen size that I think is a perfect solution, not too big not too small, even just a hair smaller like 4.3" would be alright but not this stretched out garbage were getting.

The HTC is a cow, who wants to carry all that size around? It's a phone, not a tablet.
I see people with these huge "phones" up to their ears, so out of proportion. Looks like something a circus clown would use in an act.

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Hmm,

I wish it was also a tad bit wider than just that 2 inch wide.

Put it this way, what would fill a female or male up better that comes equipped on every male, a long but skinny tool (Chris Brown) or a long and thicker private part (Shane Diesel)?

Length is not where it count most, thickness is more satisfying!

:D

Apfeldirektsaft

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Said it before, those saying making the phone bigger will make it worse are basing that on current design, make it a little bigger but taper it and you can fit a 4.3", 3:2 ratio screen (ideal largest phone screen size before it gets too large) but still be easy to handle, arguably easier than the square-edged iPhone 4/S

The back is nice (except for the speaker) but the front doesn't look good. The screen just doesn't "fit" the body.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
When it is actually introduced, it will look beautiful, feel great in the hand, have superior performance (talking hardware), and will sell more than any phone in history. As I posted elsewhere, people will stampede to get the "all new, liquid metal, iPhone." That is all they have to say to differentiate it from all others, and people will have to have it.

laxic

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
iPhone 4GS = GS for good-sized screen

I would guess
iPhone 6th generation: iPhone 4G (for having 4G LTE)
iPhone 7th generation: iPhone 4GS (like the iPhone 3G -> 3GS for speed)

I think the only reason apple calls the 3rd generation iPad "the new iPad" is because of potentially conflicting names when the 7.85" iPad is released, not necessarily because all products will be going in the route. But of course, what does my speculation have to do with the price of salt?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
You do realize that "this stretched out garbage we're getting" is the exact same aspect ratio as the one x you show a picture of?

As for the video, this pretty much confirms gorilla glass 2. Assuming in-cell is happening too given the hoopla around the rumors, the only advance that is questionable is whether its IGZO or not. Given Sharp is making them, it seems likely. This means a thinner device, lower power screen, and display closer to the glass where you actually touch.

Does anyone have an accurate measurement of the total thickness of the rumoured new chassis? The 4S is 9.3 mm, right? The new chassis looks a good deal thinner. Are we looking at 8 mm, maybe less? That's pretty skinny!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

After iphone 5s will come iphone 6. They will make the screen even bigger without any increase in device size by shifting the camera to beside the mic instead of on top and shrinking the upper bezel! this innovation is only a big deal if they first move the camera to a more stupid position above the mic hence the new design! The iphone 6 will also contain a messaging app that has augmented reality with the text overlayed on an image from the rear camera to greatly reduce accidents from texting while walking! Only available on iphone 6 of course

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.