Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Good news about Petrov. I hope to see him back on the pitch as soon as possible.

I love a good racism debate. But when a debater has an emotional stake in the parties involved (e.g. your team's player), it just gets totally overdone and sad. It literally depressed me checking facebook after it happened and seeing all of my friends (mix of Manc / Liv) with absolutely zero objectivity - it was just pathetic.

It's time to move on...Suarez took his punishment, Liverpool/FA handled things clumsily at times and the whole thing was simply very distasteful. A large number of English football fans will see Suarez as a big villain forever now, that's just the way it is. As a Liverpool fan I'll defend him up to a point, but I think he should shut up, put his head down and play football from here on out. That is what he gets paid to do.

As for Ferdinand, he's found himself on the wrong end of the anti-racism campaign and rightly so. I can understand why it happened, and the Terry case was a farce, but zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

EDIT: Liverpool victorious in Europe tonight. It's like old times. :eek: Onwards to the last 10,000 of the Europa League. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Aquilani £20m, Downing £20m, Carroll £35m, Henderson £16m, Cole on £6m per year (never such a thing as a free lunch)...there has been some serious value distraction there at Anfield past couple of years...

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
on paper this is perhaps one of the best Arsenal transfer windows since a few years:
Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla
Sahin on loan

i just hope they deliver and fit in the squad fast enough

Sahin can play an excellent deep lying playmaker which is kinda a bad match for the Real madrid squad

Still can't see Podolski will shine whith other good players around. I mean, maybe with Kölln he looked to be to good for Kölln (we know were Kölln is now), but judging from his playing in the national team I can't see him standing out or even doing a vital role at Arsenal (but I am a football part time watcher, to be honest, so my impression might be wrong).

Sorry for getting excited about women's football again, but Sweden out! A pity but deserved giving how their goal keeper acts some time and tha they had to play against France which they somehow equal with in strength I think. This leaves France and the USA (no surprise and New Zealand out, no surprise, too).
I'll be watching Japan-Brazil soon. I'm looking forward to, but I think Japan will win (though they might adapt better to a European playing style in general).
Later on, GB-Kanada. Britain looked a lot better in the last match than England before and while I would say they are on par with Kanada, this time GB might get to the half-finale the first time since 1995 (England) and second time ever, while never having qualified for Olympia (other than Euro Cup and World Cup).
Would be nasty suggesting they profit from Ellen White being injured :D

Btw, after China etc. intentionally loosing in Bad-Minton, I read the Japanese Coach said the 0:0 in the football match against South Africa was intended, too. Well they must have thought Brazil will win over GB and then Japan will get GB. Now since GB had won they get Brazil. Well it could have been easier... :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
there has been some serious value distraction there at Anfield past couple of years...

Money poorly spent. But those were not Brendan Rogers' buys, and we have to work with them the best we can and accept that all of them will be sold at a substantial loss should we decide to let them go.

Sorry for getting excited about women's football again, but Sweden out! A pity but deserved giving how their goal keeper acts some time and tha they had to play against France which they somehow equal with in strength I think. This leaves France and the USA (no surprise and New Zealand out, no surprise, too).
I'll be watching Japan-Brazil soon. I'm looking forward to, but I think Japan will win (though they might adapt better to a European playing style in general).
Later on, GB-Kanada. Britain looked a lot better in the last match than England before and while I would say they are on par with Kanada, this time GB might get to the half-finale the first time since 1995 (England) and second time ever, while never having qualified for Olympia (other than Euro Cup and World Cup).
Would be nasty suggesting they profit from Ellen White being injured :D

I would like to see a USA-Japan rematch for the final, but team GB has had a surprisingly good tournament and Brazil is still very much in it as well. Team GB will be a tough opponent for the USA in the semi should they go through. I'm sure Piers "We need to be an Empire again" Morgan would be pleased to see them in the final.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Still can't see Podolski will shine whith other good players around.
(...)
but judging from his playing in the national team I can't see him standing out or even doing a vital role at Arsenal.

It is indeed strange. Mertesacker, Podolski and Marin didn't play any major role in the Bundesliga and all of them are more or less exchanged by other players in the national team too. One would think Premier League clubs would try to buy them when they are on top of their game and not afterwards..
we'll see.

Btw do you people see Mertesacker on the Bench? Is there a site one can check for the starting 11 and stuff like that..have to work on my Fantasy Team.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
GB vs South Korea:

Oh no! Not penalties!

Though I found GB's men good, that game today seemed less entertaining to me.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
...and that is that for Team GB. Sturridge just never looked convincing.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
MLS NOTE:
Houston and San Jose having very good seasons!

Houston is doing something right lately because they seem to be perennial contenders...

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's a terrible tragedy, a 22 year-old kid...cause of death is still unknown, today's autopsy noted some heart issues, but so far the data is inconclusive. Toxicology tests will take at least six weeks. I am hoping it was not the result of anything untoward, but regardless it's a horrible thing for everyone involved. :(

EDIT: Back to football on the pitch...USA and Canada are playing out a dramatic match. 3-3 after 90 and we go into extra time.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
What a great performance by both teams. And such a dramatic finish! USA go on to face Japan, their nemesis from the World Cup.

Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
WOW! USA vs Canada.
Now, that was entertaining!
I think after the world cup 2011's Finale (USA-Japan), we have another match to be called a classic in the future or lets say remarkable. WOW...

Another step in rehabilitating women's football.

btw we learned 1. Hope Solo has a fat little daughter or niece and 2. it seems to be the mascot of the team, too. So like a symbol of America's today's nutrition problems :D (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.