Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
For what's worth it. Like another forum member pointed out somewhere. Apple advertise with IPS (In Plane Switching) screen. But in fact only the LG is a real IPS screen.

Samsung isn't licensed to produce IPS panels (IPS technology is invented by Hitachi and licensed to LG).

Samsung makes it's own variant on IPS named PLS (Plane to Line Switching). Samsung claims for better brightness and bigger viewing angles in comparison to IPS. However I suspect it is just their way to make their own IPS panel (copied) but with a slightly different technology and without the legal struggle.

Which one is better/more reliable is hard to say. Personally the Samsung Retina's I've seen where definitely sharper and like you read from a paper so sharp. The LG's where darker, and where the only ones I could provoke the "ghosting" effect on by simply leave a full screen PDF page open for only 5 or so minutes.

In short. The LG is an IPS panel the Samsung is their own technology PLS panel which is claimed by Samsung to be "superior" to IPS.

I am biased myself because I find Samsung screens superior. That said, My girlfriend owns a cMBP hi-res matte with the best (non retina) screen i've ever seen. This happens to be an LG. Totally constant backlight. No light bleed, vivid white and just a picture to look at.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
For what's worth it. Like another forum member pointed out somewhere. Apple advertise with IPS (In Plane Switching) screen. But in fact only the LG is a real IPS screen. snip

Interesting, my own Retina has an LG display and it `s only marginally down on brightness than my Late 2011 15" MBP, absolutely pin sharp. Personally I believe it is what it is, given that you are presented with a good panel, in that it`s completely subjective: hue, colouration, contrast, brightness, sharpness etc. A good display is a good display whether it suits your taste is a entirely different matter.

asdad123

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Samsung LSN screen. Mine is pretty much perfect.

Wish I checked which screen was in my previous rMBP which had terrible bleeding

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Hi, all

I had my 1st LG display MBPr exchanged with the same MBPr with LG display due to ghosting images.

I had the new unit since yesterday and I have been playing around to see if I get another ghosting images but so far there are none to report.

However, I just found out and read few postings here about yellow tinting.
I also found that MBPr has 20~25% less brightness compared to other Macbook PRO lines. (because of retina and battery performance reasons etc etc)

I compared my MBPr with my GF's new MBA 13 and there are considerable brightness difference.

I took a picture of MBPr and MBA in the dark at full brightness on both units.
I kind of see the yellowish screen with MBPr but I am not sure if it is due to the less bright screen of MBPr.

How do you check if your screen has yellow tinting? Is there any reference that I can used to test my screen? :confused:

Can anyone tell me if I have yellow tint screen?

Looks perfect to me, nice and white on both of them. I wouldn't worry - if you're happy with it then don't even ask these guys what they think :D

dank414

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Looks like I got an LG. Absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. Except beauty.

LP154WT1-SJA1
DCN226214UCDMJ0AU

toupe

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
LG here no problems now.. but it went to service bec ghosting earlier and they changed screen. Now its good no ghosting or anything that i can notice. Dunno what it was before lg or samsung.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
guys, what is the best way to check for ghosting? Anything that could always show it?
I remember 8 years ago testing it in the apple store on those cinema displays and i put the screen background on dark grey, opened safari, left it on for 2 mins and then minimised it. On most it would show the ghosting.
Is it still the same or is there better way to test it?

Mr Walker

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
I have the Samsung and it looks OK to me. If I put on a white screen I can see some color shifting and that the screen is brighter in the lower edge. Doesn't seem like a problem to me.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Has anyone's screen uniformity changed with time? I know my NEC display initially had pretty bad uniformity out of the box, but after some significant use, it became almost perfectly uniform.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I'm going to exchange my LG because of the ghosting issue. However, I went to the Apple store yesterday and compared my rMBP LG screen to the Samsung rMBP that they had on the floor. With both machines set to max brightness and Auto Brightness turned off, my LG was noticeably dimmer and yellowish: it looked dingy in comparison to the Samsung.

bclub03

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
I have a LG screen and my partner got one with a Samsung screen.

Comparing side by side, the Samsung was the crisper screen and had brighter whites(completely subjective observation, btw). I instantly picked up on this from the first few seconds of looking at the screen. This was before I even knew there were two different manufacturers making these displays. Running the script confirmed that there might be a difference based on who made the display.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I think the best thing to do is put the brightness at max, set the wallpaper to grey, open the Google homepage in Safari and leave it for ten minutes. Minimise the window and if it leaves any traces behind you've got the ghosting problem.

Ok, tested it and yep, I have slight ghosting.

LG and minor ghosting.

DTKblaster

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
Samsung here, ordered from Germany, and I haven't noticed any problems. AIDA64 reports the screen being manufactured in the 16th week of 2011, if thats true, they've been stock piling these things for ages!

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
Samsung here and after several weeks still amazing as the first day... I pitty the fools that believe standard LED/LCD is the way...

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
actally tested my LG with the ten minute wait and DID get some very minor ghosting. question is, will it get worse? meaning burn in.

the brightness and overall quality is great, no dead pixels or backlight bleed. My machine functions flawlessly and id HATE to return this to get either ANOTHER lg panel, or one with backlight bleed.

I dont want to get caught in the revolving "returns door" (what if the next 5 returns are all LG panels?). The ghosting i saw was minimal and probably wouldnt have noticed if someone hadnt pointed it out. i can totally live with it. but not if its going to get worse. I know samsung is using IPS tech in their phones and they have MAJOR ghosting because all their phones on display at BB have SERIOUS burn in.. and thats what im worried about. permanent burns like the plasma days.. so is that a possibility or is this as bad as itll get?

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
pretty much no bleeding but upper right corner seems to have a bit of red hue.

Like this?

7694047302_6c5e85ca2e_b.jpg

Romeo604

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2005
I also believe its just the mindset that makes you believe the LG is inferior to the Samsung.

LG used to make the panels for the 30", 23" and 20" ACD's. Not sure about the current ones but these companies has always worked together to develop newer technologies.

If you read up on the partnerships and the products LG are coming out with now such as the LG Smart Panels TV's which are mm's thin it was because of the combined R&D of Apple and LG.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.