Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Still can't get it to work on my 2010 MBA 13"

Do you reset the SMC by holding down the left shift-crtl-alt (option) and power key from off and then release and power only?

Do you have to hold the four buttons for any period of time or just press all together ands release?

Will try disk permissions and clearing cache as suggested in the linked thread too.

slambert

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Rollback

Anyone know how to roll back to previous SMC Firmware? I'm worried that this will break something eventually.

Desmond-London asks a really good question.
I would really like to have a confirmed rollback option in place before I try it. If Apple does officially update the firmware for any reason installing this unofficial one could make things difficult then.

On thing that might make it difficult to rollback is it appears that this model has never had an SMC firmware update so there is no installer for the current/original firmware. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237. Anyone want to take on the challenge?

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Desmond-London asks a really good question.
I would really like to have a confirmed rollback option in place before I try it. If Apple does officially update the firmware for any reason installing this unofficial one could make things difficult then.

On thing that might make it difficult to rollback is it appears that this model has never had an SMC firmware update so there is no installer for the current/original firmware. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237. Anyone want to take on the challenge?

If needed you can wipe and clean install and then restore from a Time Machine backup from before you installed the update. Just remember the day you installed it.

Kurthis

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2010
If needed you can wipe and clean install and then restore from a Time Machine backup from before you installed the update. Just remember the day you installed it.

erm... no! The SMC is not some kind of software component sleeping on your HDD. It's a ROM-like part of the hardware. The process can't be reversed by doing a restore from a backup. Same for the EFI. And also a SMC reset or PRAM reset won't help you with it... If you do the update, you're stuck for the moment.

I've seen more of these kind of comments recently, and I'm somewhat concerned that the most out there don't really know what they're doing.

Be careful if you do such updates! And make sure you have the Mac the update was made for! I also already saw some guys trying these updates on 13" and 15" Macbook Pros with SSD installed... guess what happened... nice brick! *facepalm*
That's due to the fact, that these updates are not ment for the public and there are no checks built in them, which would prohibit the flashing process of the SMC. So be extra careful!

But the good news is: works like a charm on my 11" 2010 MBA :)

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Well, further to my earlier post it's definitely working here...

I fired up Google Chrome last night and it was already on version 21, despite me not having run it since version 20 was current. Lo and behold, looking at the logs in Console, Power Nap had run off to Google, grabbed the update and installed it... :D

FabioR6

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
hello, first of all I apologize if there are spelling errors because I am French. I need your help because my brother had the great idea to install the update on his smc macbook pro mid 2010 !!! Yes !! Macbook Pro !!

except that the update has lost the lead straightforwardly to the mac. The only way to deliver it in good condition will submit its smc home that is: smc version origin 1,62F6

please said me that there is a way to retrieve the file smc a functional mac and put it back on his macbook because I counted well used to repurchase thank you in advance to you

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
hello, first of all I apologize if there are spelling errors because I am French. I need your help because my brother had the great idea to install the update on his smc macbook pro mid 2010 !!! Yes !! Macbook Pro !!

except that the update has lost the lead straightforwardly to the mac. The only way to deliver it in good condition will submit its smc home that is: smc version origin 1,62F6

please said me that there is a way to retrieve the file smc a functional mac and put it back on his macbook because I counted well used to repurchase thank you in advance to you

Unfortunately, you are, as they say, screwed. The firmware is something that, once updated, cannot be undone. Your best bet as far as I know would be to take it to either an Apple Store or local Apple retailer.

Malheureusement, vous êtes, comme on dit, vissé. Le firmware est quelque chose qui, une fois mis à jour, ne peut pas être annulée. Votre meilleur pari pour autant que je sais serait de le prendre soit à un Apple Store ou détaillant local Apple.

Désolé pour mon mauvais français!

Last edited:

Adriendod

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
What about Photostream? Does anybody got it to work?

Does iPhoto need to be open for it to work? It would be nice if it was working while iPhoto wasn't on cause nobody let's it on all the time..!

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
I do to!!!

hello Fabio!
I nedd help to! I do same think in my macbook late 2008. You fix your macbook pro? please let me know.

thanks

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
You know hot to restore firmware back?

Yes, it's possible! You'll need to update your SMC Firmware using the following packages.

11" MacBook Air (Late 2010) - 2010MBA11.pkg
13" MacBook Air (Late 2010) - 2010MBA13.pkg

After installation, the Power Nap settings will appear in the Energy Saver preferences pane.

Disclaimer: Install at your own risk! These updates were pushed out during the Mountain Lion beta, but for whatever reason Apple has not yet made them generally available via software update. It's possible that issues were discovered with the updates during the ML beta, or maybe they just decided at the last minute not to release the update for older Macs.

bertopl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
got mine working finally. I was mostly looking for a time machine backup but couldn't get it to work at first. I tried putting the notebook to sleep with the lid open and it finally completed a backup while sleeping. tried it again with the lid closed and it still worked!! I guess it just needed a kick-start. I'll see if it sticks after a reboot.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
You know hot to restore firmware back?

As far as I know, there's no way to roll back the SMC firmware, but I don't think there's any reason to want to do so. The update doesn't seem to cause any issues, and you can disable Power Nap easily in System Preferences if you don't want it.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
As far as I know, there's no way to roll back the SMC firmware, but I don't think there's any reason to want to do so. The update doesn't seem to cause any issues, and you can disable Power Nap easily in System Preferences if you don't want it.

The problem is that these people are installing this firmware on MacBook Pros, which it'll let them do since there are no checks :(

kklkn

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I downloaded the file for my 13" 2010 MBA, and it never worked until... I deactivated FileVault ! I don't know how but it must be related, but I thought FV only encrypted your HDD when you powered off your mac, not when you put it to sleep...:confused:
Anyway, if your powernap doesn't work and you have FileVault activated, try unchecking the box

kennco

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Germany
since update my MacBook Air Late 2010 with the SMC, I have a very high CPU usage. Is there a way to get the original SMC back?
Downloding the orig. EFI Update from Apple Support and tried to install is unfortunately not possible. There is a warning message that the software is not supported by my systen. :eek::(
Hope somebody can help.
Thanks in advance.

Desmond-London

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Regarding the questions on whether app must be running in order to update while on power nap - yes. Only few apps are currently supported, including mail, calendar and contacts. Photo stream wi update on both; iPhoto and aperture, but they also must be runing.

There's more while your MacBook is plugged in - it'll then run hourly TM backups, check and download updates from app store etc...

eyeless

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Dark Wake

Somehow checking of e-mail while the MacBook Air late 2010 is closed works without installing Power Nap support. When I detach the charger in the morning the MBA performs a "Dark Wake" connects to the Airport network and downloads e-mails which is on the computer when I later open it (and already have deleted some of them on my iPhone). Unfortunately Dropbox does not sync until I open the lid ... . So guess I only need Power Nap if I also rely on long TM backups? ... :rolleyes:

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Confirmed - power nap will only work on Intel Ivy Bridge processors.

Do you guys know of a way to roll back SMC Firmware, to whatever it was previously?
Will format do the job?

Its supported on Sandy Bridge as well AFAIK, My 2011 MBA got an SMC update via software update to support it after installing ML.

deeznutz

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
late 2010 11" air. TM power nap working after using the OP's SMC update. I did fix disk permissions and reset SMC after the update and did 2 reboots.

after update before SMC reset and disk permission repair I was getting high CPU usage (25%). After SMC reset, disk permission repair and reboot CPU usage down to normal (3 - 6%).

thanks to OP!

Toshibo

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
got mine working finally. I was mostly looking for a time machine backup but couldn't get it to work at first. I tried putting the notebook to sleep with the lid open and it finally completed a backup while sleeping. tried it again with the lid closed and it still worked!! I guess it just needed a kick-start. I'll see if it sticks after a reboot.

My macbook aluminium late 2008 is almost dead! i only can boot in snow leopard or windows, and my fan go crazy, and i need external monitor, if i don't have external monitor just go sleep. I take my mac to apple store to tray fix, but the can't fix there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.