Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
As much as I liked this list I must ask, did you know OP wanted free programs? :)

He told me in another thread that he would accept commercial ones too as long as I didn't post the serials.

Oh, and a lot of these just display nag screens anyway, I know Espresso lets you still use it, it's just that it makes you painfully wait to save your pages.

Last edited:

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
He told me in another thread that he would accept commercial ones too as long as I didn't post the serials.

Oh, and a lot of these just display nag screens anyway, I know Espresso lets you still use it, it's just that it makes you painfully wait to save your pages.

Sweeeet! I've written a few of them down myself, even if the list wasn't for me I thank you.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
Cro-Mag Rally
Requirements: Mac OS 8.6, Beige G3 owners need to install a more recent 3D accelerator, doesn't work on the Rev A iMac

On my iMac G3 400MHz DV I had to just put the NVidia 3D accelerator from the folder "turned off files" to "turned on files" and restart. I do not know, if this is the right translation, but I guess when you look in the systemsfolder you will know what I mean.

PS: Bugdom and Nanosaur 1 cam with my iMac the time they were shipped, added Cro-Mag Rally later from the install disks of my PowerMac G4.

PPS: you can ad SGRAM SO-Dimm (sometimes called VRAM = Video-RAM) to Rev. A models, if you haven't done that. It normally comes with 2MB (soldered), but you can go up to 6MB total.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Adding two more rendering apps, and they're both currently free (!!!) and work nice on my G5. In case they disappear, I'll keep the zips, and they already have the serials with them, so all is good.

And you can laugh because Bryce currently works on Intel, but hasn't been updated for neither Lion or Mountain Lion and it looks like it won't for at least another year. :D And that's probably my favorite program, so it sucks because I'd have to boot camp my Intel Mac to even use it on it.

The setup files might freeze/look like it force closed on you for some reason (all their software is buggy though), but if you leave it for 5 minutes, it'll be okay.

Oh, and OS X 10.2 support in Hexagon... :D

Hexagon 2.5
Requirements: Power PC G4 Processor® (G5 or greater recommended), 1 GHz (1.8 GHz or faster recommended), OpenGL compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB RAM (256 MB+ recommended), OS X 10.2 or above, 512 MB RAM (1 GB+ recommended)

Hexagon 2.5 is a modeling application that allows artists to create their own 3D objects from scratch using a freehand brush-style set of tools. These freehand brush modeling tools let artists sculpt 3D models by pulling, pushing, pinching, inflating and smoothing the geometry. The speed at which you can create a complete model is astounding. With support for graphics tablets, users can design their own creations with precision and flexibility. Through the new 3D paint and UV-mapping tools, users can quickly apply textures using brushes, imported textures or choose from a large choice of predefined textures.

http://cdn-sw.daz3d.com/hexagon/Hexagon_2.5.1.79_Mac32_bundle.zip

Bryce 7 Pro
Requirements: 700 MHz (1 GHz or faster recommended), OpenGL compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB RAM (Drivers supporting OpenGL 1.1 recommended), OS X 10.4 or above (Not currently compatible with OS X 10.7 Lion), 512 MB RAM (1GB recommended)

For more than a decade, artists of all mediums have known Bryce as the affordable 3D software for achieving breathtaking realistic imagery. Bryce 7 gives you ability to work faster and create more realistic environments than ever before.

http://cdn-sw.daz3d.com/bryce/Bryce_7.1.0.109_Mac32_bundle.zip

fabiettomac

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Italy
adding some games:

fruiz of dojo ports of quake and quake 2 engine (both running great (60+fps) on my imac G3):

quake 1 (missing the version for tiger, tomorrow i'll update the message)
http://mac.downloadatoz.com/quake-x/

quake 2 (universal binary, requires mac os x)
http://www.fruitz-of-dojo.de/php/download.php4?dlnr=6

prboom, opengl doom+doom2+plutonia and tnt, works very well
http://prboom.sourceforge.net/macosx.html

scummvm:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#stable

edit: added the 1.1 version of quake X for PPC and for 10.0

Last edited:

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
Ill give a few words of advice (as someone who runs a similar server - except mine is all abandonware)

If your gonna post links here i would make sure everything your posting is free software, if it isn't your liable to get the thread deleted (you probably will not get banned for this, but you'll get a warning) at least that is what happend to me

Also keep good backups! i nearly lost everything about a year ago (had ~110gb at this point) when my raid fell apart, in the one week my backup wasn't running and had been deleted due to moving server hw

And i hope you have allot of HDD space, mine now eats up around 320Gb of space, and thats all old stuff, so you'll need way more than that (and rember i have a tiny proportion of the files out there)

But this looks like a really good project, great to see PPC OSX software is being preserved ;)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Adding this since I'm currently self-teaching myself. :p.

Unity
Requirements: Mac OS X 10.4+

Unity delivers a stable and scalable platform for creating captivating content. Content that is efficient to create, and that works on low as well as high-end hardware.

Unity is the only Mac-based high-end game development tool sporting a stylish pro-app GUI, no-friction workflow and top-of-the-line technical features such as extensible graphics, great particle effects, highly optimized scripting, the Ageia physX Engine, skinned character animation and ragdolls, and making standalone games for Mac and Windows (and Dashboard Widgets and web-plugins).

Editor: http://download.unity3d.com/download_unity/unity-2.6.1.dmg

It comes with the web player. This is the kind of stuff made with it: http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/game-list Completely useless for iOS, but good for all the other options. You can get the free license.

moobatticus

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
Ill give a few words of advice (as someone who runs a similar server - except mine is all abandonware)

And i hope you have allot of HDD space, mine now eats up around 320Gb of space, and thats all old stuff, so you'll need way more than that (and rember i have a tiny proportion of the files out there)

But this looks like a really good project, great to see PPC OSX software is being preserved ;)

Aside from potential legal stuff in terms of hosting "free" or otherwise licensed software that the original manufacturer has taken down, thanks, I've been trying to find archives of various programs for a while and you often get punted to the Intel version. Will get downloading when I get home!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have the same issue with being forwarded to Intel versions too. Even got a message on Google in Safari asking me to install Chrome, which is of course Intel only.

A lot of it is still on the original servers, it's just a matter of finding it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
For those that just bought the MacHeist 4 bundle, there are a couple that work on PowerPC surprisingly!

Scrivener
Requirements: Mac OS X Tiger & Leopard

Scrivener is a powerful content-generation tool for writers that allows you to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, its focus is on helping you get to the end of that awkward first draft.

http://scrivener.s3.amazonaws.com/Scrivener-Legacy.dmg

DiskTools Pro
Requirements: Compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 and higher

DiskTools Pro is a total system utility for the Mac, and the only one that allows you to schedule when to perform important tasks such as file defragmentation, backup and bad sector repair. With DiskTools Pro there is also no need to boot from a DVD, CD or separate volume in order to find and repair bad sectors, defragment files and perform many other tasks on the startup volume.

http://www.macwareinc.com/products/DiskToolsPro/overview.html

Literally just a couple, :rolleyes: But just so you know. :eek: Scrivener is very, very good!

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
How is this coming along?

Since I now have a loose quad not doing anything I could probably help as a mirror or some such thing.

**edit** even better I have a Celeron hackintosh that'll hold 8 drives and sip power..

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
I've been doing something similar for a while, but with a simpler concept: only stuff that runs on an iMac G3 with Tiger. I'll list anything that (at one point) was freely available to download, even if that 'free' product went on to become a paid product in newer versions (Senuti, iStats Menu).

The only recommendation I have is that you don't host downloads for iTunes. Apple really don't like that, and sites like OldApps just show "no longer downloadable from this site" when you try to download iTunes.

I list iTunes on my page, but only because Apple removed the 'Download iTunes 8.2.1 for G3 Macs' link from the iTunes download page. I think it might be wise if I remove it from my page too.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I list iTunes on my page, but only because Apple removed the 'Download iTunes 8.2.1 for G3 Macs' link from the iTunes download page. I think it might be wise if I remove it from my page too.

Nicely done. Don't remove it! Apple will slowly remove everything OS 9-Tiger (like they're already beginning to) and we'll need those for legacy. I don't think at this point they mind, but it takes resources on their servers that could be put into some other use.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hello All,

I'm in the process of collecting final PowerPC versions of free programs and creating an Apache file-server so I can provide them to the community if/when official links and other mirrors go down. Is anyone interested in providing me with links to software to back up on the server? If so, I'll be glad to back them up and share them accordingly.

Also, I'm organizing all programs into folders as such:

Processor---->OS Version Requirement---->Program

For example, let's say a program requires a G4/G5 processor and only runs on Leopard. I'll organize the folders as such:

G4/G5---->Leopard---->"Example Program"

If you're interested in providing some links, feel free to contribute.

I'd love to help out hosting this - send me a PM if you're interested. I could even buy a domain name for this project, and host it on my 1&1 hosted server.

:)

PS - this was my 100th post!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I'd love to help out hosting this - send me a PM if you're interested. I could even buy a domain name for this project, and host it on my 1&1 hosted server.

:)

PS - this was my 100th post!

It seems as though Taylor has disappeared- both from MMC and Macrumors. I could keep this going. I plan to use Joomla and JDownloads. spyguy, I'll PM you about your generous hosting offer, as I don't have the cash.

As for organization, I will use a different organization scheme-
I'm thinking about having it like this: If you wanted iTunes for OS9, you would go the Music category, go on the alphabetical list to iTunes, and would be presented with a list of all versions of iTunes on the server. In the short description (or possibly the title) you would see the last OS it works with and all of the requirements.

If anyone has any ideas for categories (note: we can also put categories within categories, eg music>music composition>...), please post them here and hopefully we will get this off the ground again!

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
It seems as though Taylor has disappeared- both from MMC and Macrumors. I could keep this going. I plan to use Joomla and JDownloads. spyguy, I'll PM you about your generous hosting offer, as I don't have the cash.

I'm thinking about having it like this: If you wanted iTunes for OS9, you would go the Music category, go on the alphabetical list to iTunes, and would be presented with a list of all versions of iTunes on the server. In the short description (or possibly the title) you would see the last OS it works with and all of the requirements.

If anyone has any ideas for categories (note: we can also put categories within categories, eg music>music composition>...), please post them here and hopefully we will get this off the ground again!

You have a G3, G4 and two G5s to 'test' software on too lol. :D.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Picked up a G3 iBook (I'm using it now) the other day ($20, I couldn't resist). All for testing purposes only, obviously! ;)

Heheh yeah...:p...testing... Is it a clamshell? I'd like one of those, pity they didn't keep that design for atleast the early G4 model iBooks.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Heheh yeah...:p...testing... Is it a clamshell? I'd like one of those, pity they didn't keep that design for atleast the early G4 model iBooks.

No, but in the G3 world, it's the best alternative available (900MHz processor, which is the fastest, and 640MB RAM, which is the max).

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

We could build this in iWeb in 10 minutes, actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.