Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
yeah man spot on. Do you think it's worth exchanging?

That was my replacement model that I'm currently in the process of getting replaced again. The first macbook pro looked exactly the same and bothered the hell out of me. Especially on grey or white backgrounds you can see the color difference from left to right. Like the grey on the right was little more pinkish or whitish and the left side was more warm/yellowish. I noticed it alot on youtube with those grey bars on the sides of the video player.

It's really up to you if it bothers you.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
LG here, one stuck pixel (green) right near the middle of the display which developed after two weeks. And with full black screen the right third has a reddish hue and the left third is vaguely blue-green, pretty much like in the picture a few posts earlier. I never liked LG panels, I've always been a Samsung person and I've never had a single issue with any panel I've had from them, no suck pixels or anything ever. This LG retina panel doesn't really raise my opinion of them

mac3609

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
Got a Samsung replacement. My 4 weeks old machine started to pop a dead pixel yesterday and my local Apple store manager was nice enough to do a one time swap with a new unopened one.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
pretty much no bleeding but upper right corner seems to have a bit of red hue.

lol initially I was like wtf are you talking about...but I see it now. And thanks to that test I also have a white pixel (only on black backgrounds) just above the top of the volume icon

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
I'm seeing elsewhere that LG panels typically develop the symptoms after a while, and that it becomes worse.

I just received my 2.6/16/512 MBPr a couple days ago now and my screen is 'flawless' - it is an LG panel. Whites are white, no weird colour banding or reddish hues etc. as some others have posted, and no dead pixels. I've tested for ghosting, but after ~10-15 of waiting to see if there is any burn in and not seeing any a few times I've just given up.

However, some have noted it happens after a few weeks of use - and that the Samsung panels are completely void of the IR issues at least (though of course not immune to other little flaws). As you know, sometimes it can be a real PITA to have to go through this process after the 14 day period is over.

I'd love to see people also post with their experience how long they've owned the laptop and if they tested when brand new, and their latest status.

ian1

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
UK
LG. No problems.

Would you believe within hours of posting that I had no problems with my LG I noticed I had ghosting. Took it to the Apple Store and a "Genius" confirmed the problem. He said it was the first time he'd come across it. I was outside the 14 day returns thing so I was expecting it to be a repair job but it seems they are able to use some discretion because they are sending me a new one.

Fingers crossed the next one will be perfect. Although for almost a month I thought the first one was. :rolleyes:

I'd advise people to check for issues rather than just wait until you notice them.

In other news, they were giving out tiny iPad shaped Union Jack Olympic badges in the Apple Store which was er... nice.

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I have just gone through THREE Retina MacBook Pros and finally just got my money back. ALL had LG screens.

The first had a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen, yet besides that, everything else seemed ok.

The second had very bad uneven brightness. The right side of the screen was noticeably darker than the left.

The third had uneven brightness, ghosting and image retention.

I finally gave up and just got my money back. I did get them all from Best Buy (yeah I know) so I dunno if Best Buy gets the worst Macs from Apple or what.

Now I am looking to just get a normal 15 MacBook Pro, does anyone know the safest configuration to get that has the best screens? As in Hi-res Glossy or Hi-res anti-glare?

philophob

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
I have had mine about 3 weeks and as you stated the IR problem got progressively worse. It took about 2-3 min to replicate IR problem on my LG screen.

I just got another replacement (same LG screen) 2 days ago and I was testing for IR issues.

Well, I turned on my computer and left it for about 3-4 hours and...ghosting again!! :mad:

I have bought mine thru my university computer store and I will just ask for refund.

Maybe I will wait a bit more then order online and pray for Sammy screen...:(

So I recommend you that you just turn on your computer and let it stay on the same screen for 1-2 hours and see if you get IR problem.

I'm seeing elsewhere that LG panels typically develop the symptoms after a while, and that it becomes worse.

I just received my 2.6/16/512 MBPr a couple days ago now and my screen is 'flawless' - it is an LG panel. Whites are white, no weird colour banding or reddish hues etc. as some others have posted, and no dead pixels. I've tested for ghosting, but after ~10-15 of waiting to see if there is any burn in and not seeing any a few times I've just given up.

However, some have noted it happens after a few weeks of use - and that the Samsung panels are completely void of the IR issues at least (though of course not immune to other little flaws). As you know, sometimes it can be a real PITA to have to go through this process after the 14 day period is over.

I'd love to see people also post with their experience how long they've owned the laptop and if they tested when brand new, and their latest status.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I just got my 2.7GHz maxed out retina macbook pro

Samsung- 2 dead pixels and also backlight bleed on the lower right hand corner, i don't want to get into the return wheel, so i already ordered one that should be here next week, so ill chose between the two.

Ozy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Goodyear, AZ
That command returned nothing on mine.

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Code:
15RMBP:~ ozy$ ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
15RMBP:~ ozy$

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
2.6/8/512

I've got a LG monitor here. Ordered mine on day 1. I was going to say I've got a flawless screen but I just tested the screen and just realized I've got a VERY slight bit of ghosting.

It goes away within a couple seconds and unnoticeable unless you look very hard for it. Is this the ghosting issue you guys are talking about? Or is it worse?

My color and pixels are perfect. Like I said, this was so minimal I thought I had a flawless screen up till now.

I've overlayed a couple images on top of each other so you can see the outline of the white browser.

Attachments

• DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 457

Ozy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Goodyear, AZ
That command returned nothing on mine.

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Code:
15RMBP:~ ozy$ ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
15RMBP:~ ozy$

Odd, I had to reboot and then it started working.

Color LCD
LSN154YL01001
DLM221500NEF49HAT

philophob

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah that is the IR issue I am having.

2.6/8/512

I've got a LG monitor here. Ordered mine on day 1. I was going to say I've got a flawless screen but I just tested the screen and just realized I've got a VERY slight bit of ghosting.

It goes away within a couple seconds and unnoticeable unless you look very hard for it. Is this the ghosting issue you guys are talking about? Or is it worse?

My color and pixels are perfect. Like I said, this was so minimal I thought I had a flawless screen up till now.

I've overlayed a couple images on top of each other so you can see the outline of the white browser.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
All 3 Retina's had ghosting.

All 3 of the are LG...

The first one didn't have it until roughly a few days later. The second one was slight but then got worse and then this one slightly had it and I just returned it.

My friend had a Samsung, I ran the test side-by-side. The Samsung screen did not have the problem but mine did.

silentsim

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Lg, no IR or dead pixels but there is a reddish tint on the bottom right side of screen. Will call AppleCare. I assume this is not normal? The apple logo at back of comp Is also a little pink

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Lg, no IR or dead pixels but there is a reddish tint on the bottom right side of screen. Will call AppleCare. I assume this is not normal? The apple logo at back of comp Is also a little pink

I think it may be normal. Do you see it all the time, or is it mostly noticeable on black screens? LG seems to have used an A-TW polarizer in this LCD. What this does is greatly reduce the IPS glow so that dark images viewed off angle still look good. One downside to the A-TW polarizer is that they introduce a green and red hues at sharper angles (so when looking dead on, the corners may appear reddish or greenish).

See my post here for some pictures: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15403318/

Personally... I'd much rather have slightly red/green corners than the IPS glow. So I don't plan to exchange mine. With that said, I'm not sure how the Samsungs are built. I don't know if they exhibit any IPS/PLS glow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.