Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Some things will get out, yes. But I doubt any of this stuff is real considering how long before release day we still have to go.

Honestly, to me, these "leaked photo's" look like a well made chinese knock off.

Guys I promise... This is a pipe dream. To have multiple people all have multiple leaked pieces that all match up is in itself more than coincidence.

Secondly, from the looks of the leaked case, it's made from billet aluminum in a unibody type process. The amount of detail inside with all the mounts, holes etc is very very difficult to do. This isn't some mom and pop shop cnc machine. It's got to be flipped and rotated and shaved down in all sorts of ways to get this result. Just the numerous mounts that are involved to accomplish this are extraordinarily expensive.

Finally, the tolerances of the holes for the new home buttons and switches etc, are less than fractions of a millimeter difference. These are MAJORLY EXPENSIVE CNC's that did these. The video yesterday showing the different faceplates revealed that the 4S home button is just SLIGHTLY larger than the new home button. Like thinner than a human hair difference.

There is NO WAY Apple would have full production runs of MULTIPLE pieces that all fit perfectly together just to play with people. And there is no way a simple prankster could afford it.

I promise, the fit and finish of these leaks is WAAAY above a decoy. This phone is coming out next month, they are WELL into production...

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
^^^i'v been thinking the same. This two tone phone is more than likely it folks. If not then hey, so be it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
People who troll the iPhone section before iPhone 5, will be the same people that troll the iPhone section after iPhone 5.

It doesnt matter what Apple releases.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
What I'm saying is that they are completely mums-the-word on the leak. Which is unusual in general.

I'm not familiar with that site, either...but why is your assumption that they are keeping quiet because it is true? Maybe they are keeping quiet because they know it is a fake and they are keeping quiet at Apple's request. Isn't that explanation just as plausible?

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
A true and valid counter-argument. That makes me wonder too...it could be a manufacturing prototype, but maybe not.

The thing is that even manufacturing prototypes have markings like
XXX-XXX-XXX as the serial number.

The thing is that I noticed some inconsistencies in some of the images. Have a close look. Some of them showing FFFFFF-FFFFF in the serial number, and some not showing them at all(Eg this one). Some looked like they were cast iron, and another one I saw had a misdone font, which was shown the same day the images first appeared..

So try to find them and look closely(Im too lazy to search the links. Sorry) and these might be knock-offs or fakes, or controlled leaks scattered across to throw people off. I doubt that there would be different types.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Also...since Apple has indicated their plan to tighten security, wouldn't it make sense that these sites that had displayed the supposed iPhone 5 parts would have been shut down quickly, and future leaks would have been stopped? The fact that they haven't batted an eye suggests they don't care, which supports them being fake.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Thanks OP for this thread.

I had some time away from the forum
Can someone please add the links for all these leaks?

I am thinking these might be controlled leaks, and actual pre-production components therefore there is no need to have all the markings on the rear side. Or simply they didn't went through that manufacturing operation.

Having the audio connector in the bottom makes sense, every time I lay my iPhone in my car's cup holders while having both cables connected is not good for the cables and the iPhone is not very well nested.

Design wise, also makes sense having a smaller connector for gaining space inside and improving the reliability of the connector. I have an iPhone 4 and the 30 pin connector is no longer working for certain accessories, even it is connecting to iTunes and charging fine.

The home button is also failing in my iPhone 4. So these leaked changes make sense if they indeed improve the reliability of these two very important components.

The accessories vendors need to know in advance about the smaller connector, and surely Apple will sell an adapter for using old accessories.

Maybe these leaked photos will be for a low cost new iPhone.
One of Apple's strategies is to get a lot of new customers, therefore they could do something like releasing two distinctive models: a low cost one (like the leaked pictures), and high end pro premium (whatever you want to call it) one.
Financially speaking they already made a lot of money with the iPhone 4 and 4S production lines, so they can easily kick off new ones, or justify modifying them.

They can afford to outpace their competitors by releasing a "new low cost" iPhone with 4" 16:9 Retina Display, and also releasing another one with the same display but with additional hardware features and a different design (not like the leaked pictures).

Not releasing a "new design" last year allowed them enough time to polish the designs and come back this year with not one but two insanely great iPhones, and also gave them enough time to prepare the manufacturing side of it.

And with the rumors of the smaller iPad, to catch up with the low price smaller tablet markets, Apple can try to do something similar to target the cellphone low cost market, they know how to make launches a success.

Besides the hardware and software features, they could be cooking breakthrough deals with the carriers to make the new low cost iPhone very affordable, if some very affordable data packages become available.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
The OP is right, it probably is the real deal.

The 4S' frame leaked in February and people thought it was fake.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Don't even those have the FCC writings though? Even when they don't have final numbers they put some XXXXs.

lywEK.jpg

White-iPhone-4-Prototype-XXGB.jpg

I thought that only non-functional concept models made directly in Cupertino at an early development stage didn't have any regulatory writings at all.

Part of the reason they put those writings even before actual production starts is to have an idea of how they look in real life. It's hard to tell just from a render how it will actually look like since it depends on the actual color and material of the text. For example on the 3G it was gray on black, the 3GS and later had metallic text while the iPad has laser engraved text. You may want to know how the text will look like before ordering production of millions of units.

Of course Apple could have stopped writing them on pre-production units like they have always done in the past, but this looks suspicious.

Regulatory writings aren't necessary required on the device itself, it can be baked into the software. The removal of such printing/writing may be all due to small, minor aesthetics. I would much rather those regulatory writings to be removed from the back of my iPhone for small aesthetic improvements. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S III- There aren't any regulatory writings on the back or anywhere on the phone. Perhaps those writings were printed internally in the phone. But most importantly, regulatory writings have to be baked into the software, available for all to view and see.

Perhaps its just little things Apple wanted its new iPhone to be. Apple is noted for making extremely small minor improvements that is isn't necessary but is still welcome.
The iPhone 3G/3GS had the storage capacity of the phone printed on its back. But looked what happened with the 4? Apple decided to remove this small imprint of the device capacity.
Perhaps Apple just think that its time those almost redundant writings to go - its pointless. It even made me think why aren't iPhones made in the US instead of China when I saw the 'Assembled in China' printing on the back of my phone. You see, small details do matter alot.

----------

Thanks OP for this thread.

I had some time away from the forum
Can someone please add the links for all these leaks?

I am thinking these might be controlled leaks, and actual pre-production components therefore there is no need to have all the markings on the rear side. Or simply they didn't went through that manufacturing operation.

Having the audio connector in the bottom makes sense, every time I lay my iPhone in my car's cup holders while having both cables connected is not good for the cables and the iPhone is not very well nested.

Design wise, also makes sense having a smaller connector for gaining space inside and improving the reliability of the connector. I have an iPhone 4 and the 30 pin connector is no longer working for certain accessories, even it is connecting to iTunes and charging fine.

The home button is also failing in my iPhone 4. So these leaked changes make sense if they indeed improve the reliability of these two very important components.

The accessories vendors need to know in advance about the smaller connector, and surely Apple will sell an adapter for using old accessories.

Maybe these leaked photos will be for a low cost new iPhone.
One of Apple's strategies is to get a lot of new customers, therefore they could do something like releasing two distinctive models: a low cost one (like the leaked pictures), and high end pro premium (whatever you want to call it) one.
Financially speaking they already made a lot of money with the iPhone 4 and 4S production lines, so they can easily kick off new ones, or justify modifying them.

They can afford to outpace their competitors by releasing a "new low cost" iPhone with 4" 16:9 Retina Display, and also releasing another one with the same display but with additional hardware features and a different design (not like the leaked pictures).

Not releasing a "new design" last year allowed them enough time to polish the designs and come back this year with not one but two insanely great iPhones, and also gave them enough time to prepare the manufacturing side of it.

And with the rumors of the smaller iPad, to catch up with the low price smaller tablet markets, Apple can try to do something similar to target the cellphone low cost market, they know how to make launches a success.

Besides the hardware and software features, they could be cooking breakthrough deals with the carriers to make the new low cost iPhone very affordable, if some very affordable data packages become available.

No. Apple is not known to fragment its own line of products. Yes, fragment.
If apple wanted to appeal to the lower end of consumers with smaller pockets, then those consumers would have to make do with previous generation devices that is still an Apple device and not exactly very mediocre.

----------

Also...since Apple has indicated their plan to tighten security, wouldn't it make sense that these sites that had displayed the supposed iPhone 5 parts would have been shut down quickly, and future leaks would have been stopped? The fact that they haven't batted an eye suggests they don't care, which supports them being fake.

If Apple had 'battled' their eye isn't it more obvious that the leak is real and genuine? To act oblivious and ignorant of rumours and chatters in the tech world is what makes Apple so mysterious and an exciting thing to talk about.
And by the way, in tech world, consisting of thousands of tech blogs and sites, its hard for one site to not to capture the news and info from the other. Once a particularly news have been posted, many other news site would have posted it almost immediately as well.
Even if apple managed to pull the information within minutes, there is something called Google Cache, which caches the information of websites.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
If Apple had 'battled' their eye isn't it more obvious that the leak is real and genuine? To act oblivious and ignorant of rumours and chatters in the tech world is what makes Apple so mysterious and an exciting thing to talk about.

It's 'batted an eye'...not battled. ;-)

The lack of response by Apple suggests they don't care. When the iPhone 4 leaked 2 years ago they called out everyone including the SWAT team to track down the phone and return it to headquarters immediately. They have done nothing about these "leaks," despite their pledge to increase security.

Anyway, the point was that some blog not mentioning these supposed iPhone 5 parts tells us nothing...it could either be that they are real and they are not posting them so as not to create problems with Apple...or they are fake and they are going to leave them alone and let people think they are real.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I just don't believe anything until I see the actual device. I have fallen for iPhone, iPad, Mac, and iPod rumors before, and I refuse to be suckered in again. There were some great looking redesign "leaks" last year for the 4S, and some of them were so good, I just decided that there was no way this is NOT going to come from Apple. How wrong I was to get swept up in the chatter from people that had no idea what they were talking about.

Here's how I'M handling the new iPhone release. I've had an iPhone 4 since its launch 2 years ago. I have $130 in Apple Store gift cards (and that iPhone 4 to sell) to use towards the new iPhone. When it's announced, I will buy it. End of story. Whatever it ends up being. I'm due for a new phone.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
No. Apple is not known to fragment its own line of products. Yes, fragment.
If apple wanted to appeal to the lower end of consumers with smaller pockets, then those consumers would have to make do with previous generation devices that is still an Apple device and not exactly very mediocre.

What you call fragmenting is:

3 MacBooks models:
1- MacBook Air
2- MacBook Pro
3- Retina MacBook Pro

3 iPod models:
1- nano
2- Classic
3- Touch

3 Tablet models:
1- iPad 2
2- New iPad
3- rumored 7" iPad

3 iPhone models:
1- traditionally made cheap iPhone 4S 8GB -> maybe 16GB
2- Rumored New iPhone 4" screen 16:9 small dock connector (leaked pictures)
3- My suggestion -> New iPhone = not leaked yet, but with same 4" screen and small dock connector)

For the iPad and iPhone they may just stick with selling only two models, and still supporting the previous ones.

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
It's 'batted an eye'...not battled. ;-)

The lack of response by Apple suggests they don't care. When the iPhone 4 leaked 2 years ago they called out everyone including the SWAT team to track down the phone and return it to headquarters immediately. They have done nothing about these "leaks," despite their pledge to increase security.

Anyway, the point was that some blog not mentioning these supposed iPhone 5 parts tells us nothing...it could either be that they are real and they are not posting them so as not to create problems with Apple...or they are fake and they are going to leave them alone and let people think they are real.

I think the poster knows the difference between 'batted an eye' & 'battled an eye' as it was in quotes (he was referring to someone else who used that phrase).

And your logic doesn't really make sense. In 2010, someone stole a fully functional iPhone prototype in the USA; Apple then used a 'SWAT team' to get it. Currently, we're just seeing part leaks that appear to be from stolen from manufacturing plants; also, in 2010, iPhone 4 parts leaked too from many sites without Apple doing any public punishments ( https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9697612/ )

Apple doesn't do that same 'SWAT' treatment to manufacturing employees stealing parts in Asia that posts in on random forums, as opposed to a popular tech site buying a device thats was 'stolen' and fully functional in the USA.

MLG

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
I think the poster knows the difference between 'batted an eye' & 'battled an eye' as it was in quotes (he was referring to someone else who used that phrase).

Who was this other person who used the phrase that he was referring to? It seems pretty clear from his response that he was not familiar with the expression.

And your logic doesn't really make sense. In 2010, someone stole a fully functional iPhone prototype in the USA; Apple then used a 'SWAT team' to get it. Currently, we're just seeing part leaks that appear to be from stolen from manufacturing plants; also, in 2010, iPhone 4 parts leaked too from many sites without Apple doing any public punishments ( https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/9697612/ )

Apple doesn't do that same 'SWAT' treatment to manufacturing employees stealing parts in Asia that posts in on random forums, as opposed to a popular tech site buying a device thats was 'stolen' and fully functional in the USA.

Actually those people that leaked parts in 2010 were arrested and fired by the parts supplier. And even people who leaked info about the iPhone to hedge funds were arrested...Apple takes this stuff very seriously.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
One thing's for sure; nothing is for sure until launch day, or until Apple sends thugs to someone's house for posting a leak.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
OnT: It looks like something Apple could do, i don't think the black is something that would look good IRL. The white right now seems much better. :)

Strange, I feel the opposite. I think the black grey looks better, because the difference between colors on the white just makes part of it look dirty

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Some things will get out, yes. But I doubt any of this stuff is real considering how long before release day we still have to go.

Honestly, to me, these "leaked photo's" look like a well made chinese knock off.

This is the same thing I'm thinking. Everyone talks about these parts as if they were purchased at an Apple store. It's not that hard to imagine multiple "Parts" being made based on a single rumor. Hell last year we had actual cases being sold on ebay based on renderings. And for the naysayers, most of these leaks help only one group of people...the site that leaks it. Don't think it's not in their best interest to push stories that drive page views.

Do you see the irony in your first statement? Your claiming that rumors are proof. Kind of like me saying Aliens exist because multiple people in Arizona have mentioned seeing something in the sky at night.

If these leaked pics turn out to be the actual phone that Apple will announce, then I will feel like Charlie Brown with a rock in his Halloween candy bag.

Guess I was right :p

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Curse you Richards!!!

haha! I stumbled across my thread and it was fun to see everyone's reactions...it reminded of when the iPhone 4 leaked in March 2010 and people said it was ugly and fake!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
haha! I stumbled across my thread and it was fun to see everyone's reactions...it reminded of when the iPhone 4 leaked in March 2010 and people said it was ugly and fake!

I don't remember my reaction to the iPhone 4, but I'm pretty sure I stated at least once that I didn't like the design of the leaked images of the 5. It's amazing what proper lighting will do for a product. I still bought it. :(

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Hmmmm......

There's one thing I find weird though.

With the high number of leaks recently which come mainly from Asian sources, the leaked parts would likely be production units and not prototypes from Cupertino right?

Then they would require to have the regulatory FCC stuff written somewhere.

iPhone 4/4S:
It has "Assembled in China", FCC ID and FCC/CE logos which are all legally required on all production units AFAIK.

Now if you look at the most recent leak, which you would guess is a production unit given the timing and all related internal parts that are brand new and not assembled.

Now where are the regulatory writings on that one? Would Apple produce an illegal phone? I don't think so.

Looks like a photoshopped iPhone5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.