Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'm pretty sure Microsoft released a version of Windows NT 4.0 for PPC processors. Although these were for IBM PPC computers, it might be possible to get it working on PPC Mac.

IBM PPC machines are very different from any Apple PPC machine. Even if you got a copy of the rare PPC Windows NT 4 OS, it won't install or run on a PPC Mac.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I remember that age. I had 2 PC's and 3 G4s. Plus an eMac. Sell your old stuff on ebay, buy something bigger and trade on Craigslist for semi broken computers. Put $10 into them and KABLAM you have a bunch of computers. Take the time to sell them and KABLAM AGAIN you have money. Take it the apple store and buy a nice Mac! Problem solved!

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Wow. Just Wow.

Wow. I came across this thread, and read most of the posts. It's funny how I changed almost completely from my first post. Man, I sounded stupid. :rolleyes:

However, I wasn't the only one who was talking out of my ass; some of those people who posted were idiots at the time, too. I agreed with one older post, though---this thread needed to close a very long time ago. :eek:

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Wow. I came across this thread, and read most of the posts. It's funny how I changed almost completely from my first post. Man, I sounded stupid. :rolleyes:

However, I wasn't the only one who was talking out of my ass; some of those people who posted were idiots at the time, too. I agreed with one older post, though---this thread needed to close a very long time ago. :eek:

Since I did NOT read all of these old posts, after a few of your original ones, what did you have against Connectix' VirtualPC in the first place?

Sawtooth811

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Since I did NOT read all of these old posts, after a few of your original ones, what did you have against Connectix' VirtualPC in the first place?

It was too slow on the Macs I had at the time, and it wasn't suitable with what I planned to do with it. That's really it.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
It was too slow on the Macs I had at the time, and it wasn't suitable with what I planned to do with it. That's really it.

That is true: virtualization of Windows on a PPC was slow, but was the only solution on my iMac G4. I had limited need for Windows XP, but VirtualPC offered it when needed. What was your need?

Years before that I had a PPC Mac 6100 with a DOS board installed that ran Windows 95 I think it was...

Also: I extracted the licensed copy of Windows XP out of that copy of VirtualPC and to this day, that is the licensed copy of Windows XP that I use in my modern Intel Mac (2009 MacBook Pro) in both Bootcamp and Parallels! Bootcamp running Windows XP even survived the upgrade to Lion...

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
This thread is cracking me up. Nice necroposting.
WOW: Must be a slow day for YOU! But glad you find any way to get a few chuckles...

From the Urban Dictionary:

Necroposting
The act of posting in a forum thread that is too old to matter any more, or has served it's purpose. Usually by new, inexperienced members of the board.

A common trait of someone necroposting is not to only bring one old thread back from the last page before deletion, but to fill up the entire first page with threads that only they seem to think have relevance to anything.

EXAMPLE:

Date: 15th June 07
Comment: blah blah blah

Date: 2nd November 07
Comment: I totally agree!

Date: 2nd November 07
Comment: Quit necroposting.

street2k

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
I'm pretty sure Microsoft released a version of Windows NT 4.0 for PPC processors. Although these were for IBM PPC computers, it might be possible to get it working on PPC Mac.

In order to run Windows XP, Vista on a PPC Mac you'll need to install QEMU which is an emulator. I had installed it myself. I haven't tried Windows 7, but with QEMU you can run Ubuntu as well. Its slower as you use the newer Windows OS but it works. Its great for sharing between multiple enviroments both locally and on a network. Also QEMU is free which is another benefit.

Windows NT can work natively on a PPC but only up to OS.9 or Panther in classic mode in which you need OS9 installed.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Mac Mini's used to be my "Dream Mac Machine" back when they were G4's, but now it is impossible for it to fit my needs. It isn't the right Mac for me, and I'm a broke 15 year-old (spending only $20 on upgrades for my current Sawtooth,) who can't afford a current Mac.

Hey, Me To

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.