Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
I'm trying to make a poster that has a pin stripe grey background. Within the background there will be colored background with text in it. Pretty much like this website:
http://www.rescomp.berkeley.edu/

Now I know that Illustrator is good for logos and InDesign is good for print work like books. But for posters with a lot of graphics how should I go about this? Design the background in Illustrator and import them in InDesign and add the text in there? Or do everything in InDesign?

(The poster will be printed on a large.. yet undefined dimensions)

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I'd probably do it in inDesign. It will be easier.

Most graphical elements that need to scale will be done in Illustrator, the rest can be easily arranged in inDesign which is really easy for that.

That's how I'd take it. Your mileage may vary.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I do everything in Indesign. The only thing I ever use Illustrator for is fine vector work on illustrations or logos.

The example you used looks like it would be solved with either an InDesign Table or a Paragraph Style using Paragraph Rules.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Hmm thanks guys! I'll try it in inDesign and get some feedback when it's done.

This is a really stupid and newb question but what should the sizing be for this? My school's printshop doesn't seem to have preset sizing for a poster. I'm thinking 2ft in heigh by 3~4ft in width? (Makes it even harder than InDesign is in mm)

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Of course you can change your units in Illustrator and InDesign (Control-click a ruler-- you have to do it for both the horizontal and vertical in InDesign).

You can also enter any desired unit in any field (use the " for inches, mm for millimeters, etc.) and both programs convert the measurement to the default unit (you can also enter fractions, like 1/8 to get the programs to convert to 0.125, and even division: for example, to get the panel width of a tri-fold tabloid layout, enter 17/3).

Since Illustrator also has paragraph styles, I tend to do anything that is under 5 pages in Illustrator (which uses artboards instead of pages), but still offers almost all of what InDesign offers, plus the far greater graphics capabilities.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
... plus the far greater graphics capabilities.

Depending on your definition of "far greater".

;)

FYI, I've attached sceeen shots of Illustrator's Paragraph Styles vs. Indesign's.

Looks like Indesign has "far greater" type capabilities than Illustrator.

At least in CS5.

For instance ... Nested Styles. Who could live without those?

Attachments

• illiVindi_typeOptions.png
    illiVindi_typeOptions.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Just use what your most comfortable with. I would personally use illustrator for a poster but indesign is best for multi page. For a one of poster it makes no odds.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Based on the graph above, I'll definitely need bullets and numbering since I'm essentially writing a How-To poster.

But I'll continue on this poster and see how it turns out. I'm doing a lot of googling here. Hopefully it doesn't look like garbage in the end.

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Depending on your definition of "far greater".

not really.
I doubt anyone who has used both programs would debate Illustrator's far greater graphics capabilities.

InDesign clearly wins in the typesetting category (which is why I wrote Illustrator could do almost everything InDesign can) but posters/flyers/postcards tend to be more graphic, and less typographic.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hmm thanks guys! I'll try it in inDesign and get some feedback when it's done.

This is a really stupid and newb question but what should the sizing be for this? My school's printshop doesn't seem to have preset sizing for a poster. I'm thinking 2ft in heigh by 3~4ft in width? (Makes it even harder than InDesign is in mm)
That size will cost a fortune to print. Give the print shop a few sizes and have them quote pricing.

bspence

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
The key to remember is..

It all depends on your design. If you're going to make any vector graphics at all, you'd probably be better off using Illustrator for those. Then import them to Illustrator, add your text, and call it a day. However, if you want to play with the text and add lots of bells and whistles, just stick with Illustrator. Also, in InDesign's preferences, you can change mm to inches. Also, also, if everything you make is a vector-based image/text, then you don't have to worry about resolution. It will scale up to whatever you want (business card to billboards and beyond). Pixel based images (like photographs, jpegs, etc) don't scale very far without getting uh, pixelated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.