Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
I'm running Mountain Lion and would like to know if ad-blocker extensions slow Safari 6 down. I have been previously using an ad-blocker extension from (http://safariadblock.com) but had huge spikes in Safari browser usage on Activity Monitor. Are there any other better ad-blockers available for Safari 6 ?

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
I'm running Mountain Lion and would like to know if ad-blocker extensions slow Safari 6 down. I have been previously using an ad-blocker extension from (http://safariadblock.com) but had huge spikes in Safari browser usage on Activity Monitor. Are there any other better ad-blockers available for Safari 6 ?

I find glimmerblocker to work better, and it works for any and all browsers.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I find glimmerblocker to work better, and it works for any and all browsers.
I use GlimmerBlocker as well and I'd say it's much better overall than browser extensions; both solutions add overhead to every request but a proxy solution like GlimmerBlocker has better performance overall and it works for every browser on your machine, so if you have Google Chrome, FireFox etc. as well then it will work for these as well.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
google pictures seem to load a lot slower on my mac for some reason. the same happens when i have adblocker enabled on my iPad and iPhone using safari.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
I used to use AdBlock and found that it had a really bad memory leak. Couldn't even finish the Sunspider benchmark without eating all of my RAM.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I've looked around the Ghostery website and see that it blocks scripts, web bugs, trackers.. but can't find anything about it blocking ads. Where can this information be found?

I found out by youtube vid and i'm running it now. I see no ad here and on most site that I visit.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I found out by youtube vid and i'm running it now. I see no ad here and on most site that I visit.

Ah yes, I do seem to remember that in the options. I think when most people talk about ad blocking, they are referring to advertisements on the web pages themselves, not solely in videos.

andy8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Ghostery is robust and effective

I'm using Ghostery for the very first time today and my initial perception is pretty positive. It embeds itself well with Safari 6.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Ah yes, I do seem to remember that in the options. I think when most people talk about ad blocking, they are referring to advertisements on the web pages themselves, not solely in videos.

One of the best i've seen. I have it in chrome and firefox.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Adblock doesn't seem to have any noticeable affect on Safari's speed, but I'm getting pop-up ads even with it installed and "block pop-up windows" checked in preferences.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Adblock doesn't seem to have any noticeable affect on Safari's speed, but I'm getting pop-up ads even with it installed and "block pop-up windows" checked in preferences.

In fact, it has, although I got quite powerful MBP I still see performance decrease in Safari's speed while I have opened multiple tabs with quite a lot ads on them. I have looked under the hood of AdBlock Extension and no doubt it's so slow when working on multiple tabs. After I turned off AdBlock and installed GlimmerBlocker the result of blocking ads is the same, if not better, but the performance of Safari is whole new story. Thanks for mentioning GlimmerBlocker never heard of it before. :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Simple answer is yes. They use CPU cycles and memory.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
How do you disable these new In-Video Ads that play before your videos and sometimes during?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.