Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandrew26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
USA
I've recently (read:today) upgraded to OSX 10.8. So far I've been okay adjusting to it. However, there's one thing that I really liked about OS 10.6 - being able to delete apps. I prefer iTunes 9.2.1 over 10.x+, and so I was a little sad to see that in updating my OS, it kindly 'updated' my iTunes for me. "No problem," I think. "I'll just downgrade like I did on OSX 10.6". Nope.

It looks like "“iTunes.app” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X.". So, how can I revert to iTunes 9.2.1? Can I sudo iTunes 10 away in terminal? Maybe install it next to iTunes 10? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thank you!

P.S. If anyone knows how to shrink the tabs in safari, that would be great, too. I hate not having empty space to click on to make new tabs (cmd+t is too much effort sometimes).

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iTunes 9.2.1 will not work on Mountain Lion. It is much too old for such a new operating system. The iLife media share bundle included with Mountain Lion will crash and cause any program trying to use it to crash because it won't be able to properly interface with such an old version of iTunes.

sandrew26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
USA
Suppose I'm alright with not using anything from iLife. Is it still possible?

Thank you for the rapid response :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's not just iLife things. It's things that access your media through the iLife APIs. Things like Finder, iTunes, iWork, MS Office 2011, Xcode... All of those things would crash because the iLife Media APIs doesn't know any version of iTunes less than 10.6.X.

sandrew26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
USA
I was hoping that wasn't the case. Oh well. Thank you very much for the informative response; I guess I'll hit google/cnet and find a new media player.

Last edited:

tyrell456

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
If you're that dedicated, why not just keep both version on there? Go ahead and try iTunes 9.2.1 in ML (though there's no guarantee that it will work at all), and also keep 10.6.x that is currently installed. Just simply use the version you prefer, and this way it will also keep the 10.6.x install for the iLife APIs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.