Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Correctly labeled for me as iOS 6 beta 4.

I'm sure there will be at least 1 or 2 more beta's before the GM release. There's still a lot of bugs in the current beta. However, beta 3 has been the most stable thus far. Hoping beta 4 gets even better.

----------

Seriously?!?!

I'd hope so. Let YouTube make their own. I also wish Stocks and Weather would be removed or at least updated to reflect more information than it is now.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Had to turn off Wi-Fi in order for new beta to show. Downloading now, shows at Beta 4 currently. They might have taken it offline to update a few minutes ago.

This worked for my iPhone. However, for my iPod Touch the download isn't working and I can't connect without wifi. LOL. I'm downloading and installing "old school".

BigZ243

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Yes, I can confirm NO youtube app anymore after the update :-(

Hmm, well that's no good. Hope Google makes one quickly and it is as good as the Android version. I'll confirm was well as soon as mine installs.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
YouTube

YouTube and FaceBook are definitely slower than they should be. I agree if YouTube make their own app and then we get the upcoming refresh to the FB app with a speed boost then that would be awesome.

Can someone confirm that YouTube has been removed from this Beta please?

Aaron

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Good they removed the Youtube app. They never seemed interested in updating it and it was far too glitchy and hopelessly outdated compared to its Android counterpart. Now it will be up to Google to deliver the experience they want.

mlukens

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
My guess is Google is just making their own for the App Store, the one in iOS is old anyway,

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
But is the September 12 media event itself even "official" yet?

Here's to hoping that Tim Cook keeps true to his "doubling-down on secrecy" comment and the September 12 date and the iPhone 5 parts, mockups, etc. are a part of deliberate spread of disinformation. I really like Tim Cook; I'd love for him to get the last laugh on some of these rumors.

Assuming that 12 September is the set date - the date in and of itself says nothing about the release date of iOS 6.0 given that Apple like many other companies will have a big press release, lots of razzle-dazzle and then the product being released a month after the press release. I think the big question is whether they're going to add LTE capabilities and if so are they going to expand support beyond 700/2100 to also include the Asia/Pacific frequencies such as 1800mhz.

iOS 6 beta 4 has removed the YouTube application that existed on iOS
Read more at http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/06/war-youtube-app-disappears-from-ios-6-beta-4/#Q71ZETMk1CD6vbP2.99

It was a pointless app considering you can play the video from the web browser itself - Apple is merely removing things that were once required but no longer valid any more as more websites move towards either custom stand alone applications serving as portals to their service or adopting HTML5 technologies in lieu of using Flash.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
Tell them the truth - that you're an iOS developer using a Beta product on your development iPhone. Tell your friends to contact you on your other phone - your personal phone.

That's true? Correct?

I have iOS 6 Beta installed on my primary device. I have no problem with installing Beta software on my main device--I've been doing it since I joined the developer program 2 years ago. My secondary iPhone running jailbroken 5.1.1 for additional testing purposes (gdb, cycript, root access, etc).

So yes, I am really a developer.

ithinkimalion

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
The silver lining of Apple removing the YouTube and Google maps apps: perhaps Google will submit better versions to the app store!

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm really hoping this fixes the lag issues that many iPod Touch 4G users were experiencing... iOS5.1 provides a pretty choppy experience on the iPod.. At times when I'm unlocking it just hangs there for about 5 seconds..

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2007
A bit harsh, not all developers keep seperate devices, many of us 'hobbyists' have to use our main phone and take the chances :)

Seriously. I love how he just assumed that I am a pirate and came off as an absolute tool. Funny thing is, I actually have 2 iPhones, but I keep one jailbroken for better debugging/penetration testing. I've been installing beta software on my primary phone since I joined the program over 2 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.