Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by several users in our forum, Apple's new iOS 6 Beta 4 just released to developers removes the dedicated YouTube app that has been included on the iPhone operating system since its launch in 2007.

ios_6_beta_4_no_youtube.jpg

The reason for the removal is unclear, although speculation naturally turns to the strained relationship between Apple and Google. Aside from YouTube, Apple's iOS 6 contains another high-profile departure from Google's services with Apple rolling out its own mapping and navigation service to displace Google.

YouTube videos can still be played through the embedded viewer, but the removal of the dedicated YouTube app marks a significant reduction in the prominence of Google on iOS.

Update: The Verge reports that Apple has issued a statement acknowledging the removal.
Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended, customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.
Update: Peter Kafka from All Things D passes on this statement from YouTube:
We are working with Apple to make sure we have the best possible YouTube experience for iOS users.
(Thanks to Elijah Walsh for screenshot!)

Article Link: iOS 6 Beta 4 Removes Dedicated YouTube App [Updated]

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I disabled the Youtube app on my iPhone a long time ago... using youtube.com in Safari is a much better way to view videos.

iNickk

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2009
I'm hoping this is because there's another app for it in production. The current one is pretty useless - I have a shortcut to the site on my home screen instead of the app.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Oh well. As long as it accessible elsewhere like on the browser. I don't use it much anyway.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Looks like Google has a lot of Apps to deploy on the App Store. Hopefully this means they can make them better and update them quicker.

mshepherd

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
I am sure it just means google will be taking over the reins, much like they will be releasing their own maps app. Makes sense when you really think about it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I stopped using dedicated YouTube app a year ago. Better quality over 3g/hspa plus if u choose to have a home link and choose HQ quality

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I avoid the youtube app like the plague. I prefer HTML5 through the safari browser.

DaMike8

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2011
To be honest, Apple shouldn't be doing this. Its fine if they remove a Google app from their OS, but they should at least replace it with an equivalent application.
If they don't, it benefits no one.

LWX

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
London
Good if you ask me, so long as Google release their own (and much improved) app.

Just hope they allow us to delete Newstand/stick it in a folder now...

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
This is good. The YouTube app was never updated and you couldn't watch high quality videos on 3G like you can in m.youtube.com. If you disable the YouTube app in Restriction settings, YouTube links will open in Safari and be much better quality. With this, no need to disable it in the settings anymore.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
FINALLY! I hated being ripped out of Safari and into the app just to watch a video... The App was only there when Youtube was flash only in 2007.

THANK GOD!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm guessing Google will be able to submit a YouTube app if they want, just like the Vimeo app already available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.