Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hooneyrob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and decided that I would do a clean install today which I've done before under Lion (on the same machine) without any issues previously. It's a 2011 2.2 MacBook Pro with SSD.

However, this time I am receiving the following error (I've also included a pic of my setup using the disk utility).

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The Mac is connected via Ethernet by the way as I changed my SSID before doing the install and forgot that the Mac wouldn't have any wireless until I reconnected.

Rob.

photo-1.jpg

photdgfo.jpg

hooneyrob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
United Kingdom
I think this problem may occur because the Mac cannot reach the Apple servers to authenticate the OS before install.

I've no wireless connected but I have connected the Ethernet - can I add a wireless network using only system restore?

Edit to say: Internet connectivity is there so that's not the problem.

Last edited:

hooneyrob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
United Kingdom
Well, I'm pretty stuck. I don't have any Lion install as the laptop was preinstalled with Lion.

The Command+Option+R combination doesn't force Internet restore. No matter how many times I re-erase, mount and unmount the drive etc the same issue occurs. Mountain Lion goes off to authenticate the restore with Apple and then that error occurs. The laptop is connected by Ethernet to the router so has connectivity - presuming the Ethernet is working of course. But there is no option to setup a wireless network under restore anyway. At any rate, I don't think it's a connectivity issue.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Well, I'm pretty stuck. I don't have any Lion install as the laptop was preinstalled with Lion.

The Command+Option+R combination doesn't force Internet restore. No matter how many times I re-erase, mount and unmount the drive etc the same issue occurs. Mountain Lion goes off to authenticate the restore with Apple and then that error occurs. The laptop is connected by Ethernet to the router so has connectivity - presuming the Ethernet is working of course. But there is no option to setup a wireless network under restore anyway. At any rate, I don't think it's a connectivity issue.

You can turn on the wifi.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Since when does apple wirelessly authenticate your OS prior to installation, especially when you have no OS actually installed on your pc...You have done something to your bootable USB or something has happened to it....

hooneyrob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
United Kingdom
Since when does apple wirelessly authenticate your OS prior to installation, especially when you have no OS actually installed on your pc...You have done something to your bootable USB or something has happened to it....

Hi, I don't have a bootable USB - I'm using the recovery partition. If it doesn't authenticate then fine but I'm still unable to fix this.

As said, I cannot force Mountain Lion to boot to the Internet even using the Command+Option+R (Command+R only works if you have no restore partition). In theory, the recovery from Internet should work as I have a 2011 MacBook Pro 15 2.2 but... it's not.

All said and done, I still have the recovery partition as per the screen shots in my first post so I should be able to restore Mountain Lion. I've erased, mounted, unmounted etc but getting that same error.

At any rate, any help is appreciated because I'm now using my Windows laptop full time and actually.. finding it not too bad :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.