Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
its amazing how their project EXPLODED...2000%+ and still going....I think its going to reach ~$400K based on the rate its selling out if they have enough spots for early adopters.....goes to show how much better KickStarter is than Indigogo....Imagine if they had gone to KickStarter earlier we would have had it in our hands almost 6months ago....

MacXperte

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Had the same idea ...

Funny, just 1 hour ago I had the same idea (producing a nice-looking flush microSD adapter), so I started researching, found the "cut" solutions, found the Nifty MiniDrive project, and while I was reading the kickstarter page the "Updates" counter jumped from 1 to 2 and the third model (MiniDrive Retina) was announced ... I feel so live!

@makemineadouble:
If you are still following this thread, I have a suggestion. I think it was a nice feature, that the "normal" MiniDrive (now MiniDrive Air) would fit all Macs. Now with the Retina's slot being deeper, this versatility is lost.
But: what if you just slightly retool the aluminum front of the MiniDrive, making it either thinner or just edge some recesses out, so it would slide all the way into a MacBook Pro Retina? Sure, in addition to the rounded ends not fitting perfectly it would also not be flush any more. But at least it would be usable.

Another possibility would require even more retooling but would gain you flexibility even for unforeseeable future Apple products:
Make the aluminum front a separate slide-on part!
That way you could deliver multiple fronts or replacement fronts, or even a front-abo. (Provided, of course, that the actual reader part is expensive enough, that separating it would still be cheaper than simply adding it to every front you sell.)

Congratulations anyway! It's always good to see, how a nice idea can become a new business.

garstudios

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
this is insane, im going to have to pledge some money and get one/some. i should probably pledge a grand and sell them on ebay....you could probably make half your money back. its awesome to see ideas take off like this.

jj97101

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
search

I have one of these, and all though it doesn't sit flush, still fits in my relatively tight sleeve, has decent storage, I have a 32 GB version as my store only had this much but I'm sure there bigger and if there are some USB 3.0 versions out there then the transfer speeds should be quite good as well.

burnusgas

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
How do I order a NiftyMinidrive now?

Now that the project is funded, how do you order a niftyminidrive?

makemineadouble

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Purchasing a Nifty MiniDrive after the end of the Kickstarter campaign

Now that the project is funded, how do you order a niftyminidrive?

Hey guys - the Nifty MiniDrive is now available for purchase here: http://theniftyminidrive.com/

Delivery expected in December 2012 (i.e. after we have fulfilled the Kickstarter batch of 12,700!)

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, support and questions. It has been an amazing ride so far!

Spoonz

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
Hey guys - the Nifty MiniDrive is now available for purchase here: http://theniftyminidrive.com/

Delivery expected in December 2012 (i.e. after we have fulfilled the Kickstarter batch of 12,700!)

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, support and questions. It has been an amazing ride so far!

Aaaah this is awesome news, I turned up to the party a bit late on this so missed the opportunity to back it. Been eagerly awaiting an eta on public orders though!

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Don't think I will buy one as I don't need it, but really appreciate the work you guys have done on this. Nice bit of complementary 3rd party engineering.

I hope you sell a trainload of them. :)

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I currently have a the first aluminium MacBook (2008/2009?) with 320GB HD which is pretty much full. I'm thinking of replacing with a 13" MBA with 256GD SSD and a 64GB SD card in one of these nifty drive things.

Am I right in thinking I'll see next to no hit on battery life if I have it in all/most of the time?

I'll probably just store large video files on there and move them on to the SSD when I want to watch/edit, move them back for long term storage.

Am I going to get frustrated at the speed?

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I got in on it early and already have my MiniDrive. I put in a 32GB microSD and freaking LOVE it.

jaw4527

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
is there any solution besides the minidrive? seems like a nice solution but a bit pricey at $35

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
This whole thread is awesome. Back when the MBP first gained an SD slot, I had been involved with a number of threads exploring the possibility of cutting down SD cards without killing the flash memory inside... all so the card would be flush inside the machine. I finally purchased an RS-MMC card (half the size of an SD card). It fit flush, but that style of card is capped at 2 GB, plus I had the issue that if I left it in all the time, it would continually disappear from my finder; I'd have to find the little extender piece and try to pull it back out of the SD slot, then reinsert it. Has anyone had this issue with leaving SD cards in their MBP or MBA all the time?
I just bought two of the "Micro SD/TF to SD USB Flash U Disk Adapter" items from eBay as suggested by someone in this thread. Less than $2 a piece is more along my line of affordability, but I do like the kickstarter project... I can't tell you how many times I'd thought that someone should do that.

jaw4527

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
This whole thread is awesome. Back when the MBP first gained an SD slot, I had been involved with a number of threads exploring the possibility of cutting down SD cards without killing the flash memory inside... all so the card would be flush inside the machine. I finally purchased an RS-MMC card (half the size of an SD card). It fit flush, but that style of card is capped at 2 GB, plus I had the issue that if I left it in all the time, it would continually disappear from my finder; I'd have to find the little extender piece and try to pull it back out of the SD slot, then reinsert it. Has anyone had this issue with leaving SD cards in their MBP or MBA all the time?
I just bought two of the "Micro SD/TF to SD USB Flash U Disk Adapter" items from eBay as suggested by someone in this thread. Less than $2 a piece is more along my line of affordability, but I do like the kickstarter project... I can't tell you how many times I'd thought that someone should do that.

how do you make the adapter sit flush with the sd slot?

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
how do you make the adapter sit flush with the sd slot?

If you're talking about the RS-MMC card, I just removed the adapter that makes it a full size SD card and pushed it into place with a pen tip (since the RS-MMC is half the size of an SD card, it is recessed once inserted in the MBP). To remove the card, I inserted the adapter till it snapped onto the card, then carefully pulled it back out. Again, it was a great solution but it would sometimes disappear out of the finder and I'd either have to restart or remove/reinsert the card.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Why not spend 150 dollars and get 256GB and a faster SSD?

You mean *about* 150 dollars extra vs going this route? As the price difference between the 128GB and 256GB model is 300 dollars. That's because we can save about 150 dollars, I suppose :).

Considering many must have files that aren't in need of being on a super speedy drive (movies*, pictures, music) I think it makes perfect sense for some to explore the SD-card route instead.

*depending on bitrate, but other than seriously high bitrate high quality streams, a class 10 SDXC will be fast enough.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
That's what I went for the 13".

But why don't you get a SanDisk Cruizer Fut with 32 GB? The smallest thin for USB.

I'll get one and hopefully they gonna update at one point to USB 3.0 and to bigge sizes (64/ 128/ 256 GB).

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011

Hey there, do you know when in December these will ship out if I order now? I live in Canada and would need to know that I'll get it before Christmas because after that I'll be away. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.