Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Like many of you, the speaker system that I use in my living room is quite old and does not have a digital audio input. This is a problem for me because I want to buy an Apple TV to use for airplay and to play my music in the cloud over this speaker system. I understand that there is a box that can convert the digital audio signal to an analog signal, but before I buy that I'd like to know if i can somehow connect to the speaker system without it. My television has an audio output in the form of analog audio so I'm wondering if I can connect the Apple TV to the television using HDMI, and then use the audio out on the television to plug into the speaker system? I'm not much of an audio expert so if this makes no sense I'm sorry :eek: Thanks!

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Like many of you, the speaker system that I use in my living room is quite old and does not have a digital audio input. This is a problem for me because I want to buy an Apple TV to use for airplay and to play my music in the cloud over this speaker system. I understand that there is a box that can convert the digital audio signal to an optical signal, but before I buy that I'd like to know if i can somehow connect to the speaker system without it. My television has an audio output in the form of analog audio so I'm wondering if I can connect the Apple TV to the television using HDMI, and then use the audio out on the television to plug into the speaker system? I'm not much of an audio expert so if this makes no sense I'm sorry :eek: Thanks!
That will probably work. For the price of few cables (and you probably have some laying around), it's worth a try. The A/D converter will be more expensive.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Like many of you, the speaker system that I use in my living room is quite old and does not have a digital audio input. This is a problem for me because I want to buy an Apple TV to use for airplay and to play my music in the cloud over this speaker system. I understand that there is a box that can convert the digital audio signal to an analog signal, but before I buy that I'd like to know if i can somehow connect to the speaker system without it. My television has an audio output in the form of analog audio so I'm wondering if I can connect the Apple TV to the television using HDMI, and then use the audio out on the television to plug into the speaker system? I'm not much of an audio expert so if this makes no sense I'm sorry :eek: Thanks!

Yeah, it will work, I actually did just this while I was waiting for a TosLink cable to come in the mail... anything that accepts a digital input has a DAC embedded into it (ie. any tv, dvd/blu-ray player, etc). Personally I would recommend getting an outbound DAC, even a cheap one would be nice improvement over using the one in the TV. Then again I'm also a (cheap) audiophile... running the ATV -> Onkyo 805 -> Magnepan MMGs.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah, it will work, I actually did just this while I was waiting for a TosLink cable to come in the mail... anything that accepts a digital input has a DAC embedded into it (ie. any tv, dvd/blu-ray player, etc). Personally I would recommend getting an outbound DAC, even a cheap one would be nice improvement over using the one in the TV. Then again I'm also a (cheap) audiophile... running the ATV -> Onkyo 805 -> Magnepan MMGs.
+1

Outbound dac will yield a much better audio experience than the TV output.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Thanks a lot guys, I will try using the TV and see how that sounds. Hopefully it sounds good and I can save a few bucks.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I used to do exactly what you're proposing, but I didn't like always having the TV on just to listen to music. That's the only issue I found.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Is the AppleTV going to be used only for music, or also video? If music only, an Airport Express can be connected directly to your stereo and provide Airplay audio. If you want video also, the ATV is the way to go.

For what it's worth, I use a Monoprice D/A converter with my ATV3 to run analog audio into my receiver for my outdoor speakers (most receivers will only route analog sources to alternate zones). Works great, costs $20 or so. If the TV analog out doesn't work, this is a pretty effective and affordable way to go.

Nsbjkb

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Is the AppleTV going to be used only for music, or also video? If music only, an Airport Express can be connected directly to your stereo and provide Airplay audio. If you want video also, the ATV is the way to go.

For what it's worth, I use a Monoprice D/A converter with my ATV3 to run analog audio into my receiver for my outdoor speakers (most receivers will only route analog sources to alternate zones). Works great, costs $20 or so. If the TV analog out doesn't work, this is a pretty effective and affordable way to go.

I did the exact same thing and it works perfectly.

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
DAC converter not working with Apple TV 3

I did the exact same thing and it works perfectly.

I purchased the same converter from monoprice to use for zone 2 onkyo 608 receiver with my apple tv3 running the latest iOS update and I can't get it to work. I have changed the Dolby digital output to off and still no luck. Is there another setting in the apple tv I am overlooking?

I have tried the converter with a TiVo HD with optical out to a small stereo system via RCA and it works fine. I was thinking the converter was faulty but that test might have proven otherwise. I have tried restore, reset, and additional inputs on the receiver. Any suggestions before I return everything?

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

Go buy a new receiver. The low end receivers are very good now. You can pick one up for a few hundred $$. For the price of a nice DAC, you could buy a new receiver with all the current connections.

----------

I purchased the same converter from monoprice to use for zone 2 onkyo 608 receiver with my apple tv3 running the latest iOS update and I can't get it to work. I have changed the Dolby digital output to off and still no luck. Is there another setting in the apple tv I am overlooking?

I have tried the converter with a TiVo HD with optical out to a small stereo system via RCA and it works fine. I was thinking the converter was faulty but that test might have proven otherwise. I have tried restore, reset, and additional inputs on the receiver. Any suggestions before I return everything?

The optical does not pass multichannel, only stereo. There is a settIng in your receiver that can switch each input to analog. You need to switch whatever input the DAC is going through to analog in the receiver. Wait! What are you asking?

Last edited:

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
The optical does not pass multichannel, only stereo. There is a settIng in your receiver that can switch each input to analog. You need to switch whatever input the DAC is going through to analog in the receiver. Wait! What are you asking?

Here's the connection breakdown:

Apple TV3 -> (optical) -> Monoprice DAC -> (RCA) -> Onkyo 608 Receiver

Apple TV settings: Dolby Digital - (off)
Onkyo Receiver: Input - (aux front panel RCA jacks)

To test aux input settings on receiver to confirm it was indeed working, I connected it to an iPod (1/8 -> Y RCA cable)and had no problems.

Are there any other settings or connections to check? Is there a compatibilty issue with 5.0.2 update?

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

To test aux input settings on receiver to confirm it was indeed working, I connected it to an iPod (1/8 -> Y RCA cable)and had no problems.

Are there any other settings or connections to check? Is there a compatibilty issue with 5.0.2 update?

That Onkyo Receiver should have a few HDMI ports. Use HDMI from the Apple TV to the Onkyo.

I guess I still do not understand what you are trying to do. You have an Onkyo receiver with APPLE TV3 in another room correct? Your Onkyo receiver should have one HDMI out and about 4-5 HDMI in ports on the back. The APPLE TV3 has HDMI out. Buy a HDMI cable for $20 and run this cable from the Apple TV to HDMI in on the back of the Onkyo. This will provide a pure digital signal with HD picture. Oh, make sure you turn the Dolby Digital on in the Apple TV3 settings.

Last edited:

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
That Onkyo Receiver should have a few HDMI ports. Use HDMI from the Apple TV to the Onkyo.

I guess I still do not understand what you are trying to do. You have an Onkyo receiver with APPLE TV3 in another room correct? Your Onkyo receiver should have one HDMI out and about 4-5 HDMI in ports on the back. The APPLE TV3 has HDMI out. Buy a HDMI cable for $20 and run this cable from the Apple TV to HDMI in on the back of the Onkyo. This will provide a pure digital signal with HD picture. Oh, make sure you turn the Dolby Digital on in the Apple TV3 settings.

I have the HDMI connections already complete. This is providing everything needed for the home theater. Works flawlessly and sounds great.

My conundrum is getting audio to ZONE 2 (so I can listen to the outdoor speakers). Zone2 will only accept analog and there is no way to route the digital input to zone 2 inside the receiver. Just trying to setup for Airplay so I can control everything from outside. As it stands, I have to plug iPod/iPad into aux (routed to zone 2) and leave inside with no outside control.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
He's trying to make "zone 2" work on that Onkyo. That means it must be fed by an analog audio signal. There are no other choices. Zone 2 won't work by a digital (HDMI or optical) feed.

In fact, this is generally an issue for many receivers with Zone 2, not just Onkyo. I'm not aware of any mass market ones that can make their Zone 2 work when fed by HDMI or optical. I have a pretty high-end one myself (with plenty of HDMI and Optical inputs) and my zone 2 also requires an analog stereo input. It is just as such things are.

What would be ideal is for :apple:TV4 to include analog stereo out (like :apple:TV1) probably as a minijack. As I understand it, the :apple:TV board is based upon the iPad board and the circuitry is there (Apple just chose not to include an analog audio out port).

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Exactly! Thanks HobeSoundDarryl.

Just wondering how others in this thread are getting the DAC to work with their :apple:TV3 optical out? This sounds too simple and maybe I am just over thinking the setup as there really isn't many settings in the :apple:TV that can affect the optical audio output.

Are others using :apple:TV3? I am on 5.0.2; How do you revert back to an older software to try another version or is this a problem?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I only recently replaced :apple:TV1 with "3" and this is the thing I personally miss second most (second to what I thought was the better UI in "1"- my own movies in "movies", my own TV shows in "TV shows", etc).

Currently, my Zone 2 is fed by a SATT receiver analog audio out. Yes, that means I can't play my iTunes music like I could before but I haven't seen a good way to hook up the :apple:TV3 for this. Personally, I'm hoping "4" corrects this shortcoming. The jack might cost Apple a nickel or 2 per unit to include and yet it would solve all "Zone 2" issues for everyone. That's much better than "buy a new receiver" when that option still won't solve this particular problem.

Another guy suggests hooking up an Airport Express Base Station for zone 2 purposes. That may be the way to go (as I doubt "4" will add the jack). Maybe refurbished/used if this is the only need.

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
I only recently replaced :apple:TV1 with "3" and this is the thing I personally miss second most (second to what I thought was the better UI in "1"- my own movies in "movies", my own TV shows in "TV shows", etc).

Currently, my Zone 2 is fed by a SATT receiver analog audio out. Yes, that means I can't play my iTunes music like I could before but I haven't seen a good way to hook up the :apple:TV3 for this. Personally, I'm hoping "4" corrects this shortcoming. The jack might cost Apple a nickel or 2 per unit to include and yet it would solve all "Zone 2" issues for everyone. That's much better than "buy a new receiver" when that option still won't solve this particular problem.

Another guy suggests hooking up an Airport Express Base Station for zone 2 purposes. That may be the way to go (as I doubt "4" will add the jack). Maybe refurbished/used if this is the only need.

I thought about returning the ATV to get an Airport Express but the ATV far outweighs the features (useful to me) of the Airport Express for the same price. I agree, when Apple reviews the shorcomings of the ATV3 when designing ATV4, this little hardware feature should not be overlooked.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm with you. "3" is great. IMO, it was a very easy buy just for the 1080p part alone. I miss a few benefits unique to the "1" but "3" is terrific. I hope Apple does hear such comments and makes "4" an even stronger product. I have a short list of things I would like to see (several of which would be resurrected benefits from the "1").

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

Ok, I understand. Most DAC's need some form of power to work. I have seen battery operated, USB operated, and 120v ac operated. Make sure you have power going to the DAC, then Change the AUX input to analog in the settings for that port within the receiver. Yes, you can switch each input in the receiver from digital to analog, or vise versa. Try this and report back.

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Ok, I understand. Most DAC's need some form of power to work. I have seen battery operated, USB operated, and 120v ac operated. Make sure you have power going to the DAC, then Change the AUX input to analog in the settings for that port within the receiver. Yes, you can switch each input in the receiver from digital to analog, or vise versa. Try this and report back.

5V power supply (wall wart) plugged in: check
AUX is accepting analog signal: check (confirmed this with ipod connection)

Also, I have checked the DAC out and it seems to be working; TiVO to DAC to mini stereo shelf system and it worked.

The TiVo did allow me to change the output from Dolby Digital to PCM which is the only digital signal the DAC will accept. The :apple:TV only has an the option to turn Dolby Digital on/off/auto which I have turned off. I have tried all other settings with no luck either.

I may just have a defective ATV however, there is light coming out of the optical port.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
5V power supply (wall wart) plugged in: check
AUX is accepting analog signal: check (confirmed this with ipod connection)

Also, I have checked the DAC out and it seems to be working; TiVO to DAC to mini stereo shelf system and it worked.

The TiVo did allow me to change the output from Dolby Digital to PCM which is the only digital signal the DAC will accept. The :apple:TV only has an the option to turn Dolby Digital on/off/auto which I have turned off. I have tried all other settings with no luck either.

I may just have a defective ATV however, there is light coming out of the optical port.

In Apple TV, change the audio out from auto or hdmi to optical. The Apple TV only does One or the other, not both.

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
In Apple TV, change the audio out from auto or hdmi to optical. The Apple TV only does One or the other, not both.

I will give this a try and report back later. I don't recall seeing this setting but I will double check...

If this is the case, it's going to be somewhat of a pain; I will have to change this setting everytime I want to "watch" ATV vs listening outside but "it is what it is."

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
I will give this a try and report back later. I don't recall seeing this setting but I will double check...

If this is the case, it's going to be somewhat of a pain; I will have to change this setting everytime I want to "watch" ATV vs listening outside but "it is what it is."

Did you activate zone 2 in the receiver? Zone 2 is not in by default. You have to manually enable zone2.

Jladner123

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Did you activate zone 2 in the receiver? Zone 2 is not in by default. You have to manually enable zone2.

Zone 2 is on (LED indicator on). I sometimes just use the FM tuner or route the cbl/sat source to it (I use HDMI and RCA simulataneously). As long as there is an analog source, it can be routed to zone 2.

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

Your receiver should have either zone 2 out speaker wire connections, or zone 2 line out. If you want to listen to music outside, run some speaker wire from zone 2 out on the back of the receiver to outside. Speaker wire is cheap and can be purchased almost anywhere. This would allow you to use the apple tv hdmi to onkyo receiver and get a pure digital signal. The receiver will send the music through the speaker wire to your speakers outside. Keep it simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.