Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
I was at a store, and I noticed a laptop (Dell XPS 13") and I thought: "Why haven't able done this on the Air?" The screen was like on the MacBook Pro; one layer. And the bezel was really small compared to the current MacBook Air design. It also made the laptop smaller without losing size on keyboard or screen because it's only the bezel that gets smaller. I was wondering, why haven't Apple done this? I am pretty sure it will be on the next redesign, or perhaps I am wrong? Not sure if it's because the XPS is thicker which results in less wide bezel, or? :S

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
I dont see the big thing... Is the Air 11 size with a 13 screen... Not big deal and actually awfull...

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
My strong hatred of bezel's is certainly making me consider holding off until the 2013 revision, just to see if there are any design changes.

However, as i sit here typing on my chunky bezzeled work laptop, I realise that I don't notice the bezel at all when viewing the screen.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I was at a store, and I noticed a laptop (Dell XPS 13") and I thought: "Why haven't able done this on the Air?" The screen was like on the MacBook Pro; one layer. And the bezel was really small compared to the current MacBook Air design. It also made the laptop smaller without losing size on keyboard or screen because it's only the bezel that gets smaller. I was wondering, why haven't Apple done this? I am pretty sure it will be on the next redesign, or perhaps I am wrong? Not sure if it's because the XPS is thicker which results in less wide bezel, or? :S

I'd been using a 15" Powerbook for 7 years. That has the thinnest bezel of any Mac laptop ever, a true beauty. It's half the width of the Macbook Air bezel, no joke (I'm looking at it right now). Therefore, I thought I'd hate using the Macbook Air screen. However, it's really grown on me. The "big bezel" does not annoy me anymore.

takezo808

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
the vast majority of mac users seem to like the mac book air design. Which it's probably why it's the number one selling Mac.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. There are tons of lousey designed PCs out their you may love.

bradPiano

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I thought I would hate this bezel. I was able to use my Powerbook G4 all the way through to this latest 2012 13" Air, so part of me felt like I was missing out on the flush, black-bordered, glossy hotness of the more recent MBP models.

Honestly, though, sitting here working on this machine really feels like a nice nod to that very Powerbook that got me through college and beyond, so I have to say I've grown to really appreciate it. In many ways, it's the perfect next step from what has come before.

gf1b

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Air bezel and screen design, poor

Seriously? That's a super-ugly machine. Good luck with your Dell.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I have to agree with the OP. The current MBA design has a lot to improve. At 13" model it doesn't look that bad, but 11" is just ridiculous.
I've been unsuccessfully waiting for some redesign since the 2010 revisions appeared and unfortunately it didn't happen even though various ultrabook makers now come with designs that show there are real possibilities to do it different way. I hope next revision will finally bring some change, like larger display in the body of approx. the same dimensions, 16:10 (and hopefully IPS) display for MBA 11" etc.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

You're not wrong, but it's your opinion. I like the bezel and, frankly, I hardly even notice whether it's there or not when I switch between my MBA and MBP.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I've been unsuccessfully waiting for some redesign since the 2010 revisions appeared and unfortunately it didn't happen even though various ultrabook makers now come with designs that show there are real possibilities to do it different way. I hope next revision will finally bring some change, like larger display in the body of approx. the same dimensions, 16:10 (and hopefully IPS) display for MBA 11" etc.

I really have the same hopes, but sadly I don't think it will happen. Making the bezel smaller and the display thinner will result in a very unstable upper shell. The only thing I could imagine is that Apple agglutinates a Retina display with the bezel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.