Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KellyC

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I understand that you can't use iPhone 4 for mirroring with ATV3 but can you show photos/videos on an iPhone 4 via ATV3?

What about using the iPhone 4 as a remote control for ATV3? Can you do that?

Yes I've searched the forum and couldn't find the specific answer I'm looking for.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Yes, you can do Video/Photo Airplay from the iPhone 4. Just not mirroring (whole screen). Works very well. I use it to view 720p videos from my local Plex Server.

Yes, you can use it as a remote. Download the Remote app from the App Store. Free, and made by Apple. Then make sure that you have Home Sharing enabled on the ATV3, and login to the same account in the Remote app. You'll then have a touchpad-like remote control interface and also be able to browse the media library on the ATV3.

KellyC

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Yes, you can do Video/Photo Airplay from the iPhone 4. Just not mirroring (whole screen). Works very well. I use it to view 720p videos from my local Plex Server.

Yes, you can use it as a remote. Download the Remote app from the App Store. Free, and made by Apple. Then make sure that you have Home Sharing enabled on the ATV3, and login to the same account in the Remote app. You'll then have a touchpad-like remote control interface and also be able to browse the media library on the ATV3.

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

One more question. How does it work with two iPhones in the same household and one ATV3? I.e. husband and wife. :)

If I set the ATV3 up with my Apple ID as the master account, how does my wife control/drive the ATV3 with her iPhone?

I'm sure it 'just works' and will discover this when it arrives via Amazon in a couple of days, but just curious.

I've also got a mid-2011 MBA running Mountain Lion and was planning on using it to mirror and serve my iTunes library but I've already realized I may have just opted my personal laptop into the role of family media server so I'm going to have to come up with another plan.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX

One more question. How does it work with two iPhones in the same household and one ATV3? I.e. husband and wife. :)

If I set the ATV3 up with my Apple ID as the master account, how does my wife control/drive the ATV3 with her iPhone?

I'm sure it 'just works' and will discover this when it arrives via Amazon in a couple of days, but just curious.

I've also got a mid-2011 MBA running Mountain Lion and was planning on using it to mirror and serve my iTunes library but I've already realized I may have just opted my personal laptop into the role of family media server so I'm going to have to come up with another plan.

The Remote App works off of iTunes Home Sharing. When you open the Remote App for the first time it will ask you for an Apple ID and password. As far as I'm aware, it does not necessarily need to be the same Apple ID that the rest of the phone is set up on. So even if your wife has a separate Apple ID, as long as she logs in to the Remote app with your ID, it should work.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI

If you mean just for the Remote control capabilities, the login is only for the Remote app on the phones. So you could just share one login for that, and not have to switch back and forth. Airplay doesn't require a login or anything, and that will appear as an option for any iOS device on the same Wifi network.

As far as the iTunes Library problem, you can automatically have any music purchased from the iTunes store on the ATV3 if you login with the same account on there. If you have iTunes Match, this extends to any music; not just what was purchased from the store. It'll be available for streaming with no computer necessary. Movies purchased from iTunes are also available with no modifications. TV Shows I *think* are recently added to the availability list too.

KellyC

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
If you mean just for the Remote control capabilities, the login is only for the Remote app on the phones. So you could just share one login for that, and not have to switch back and forth. Airplay doesn't require a login or anything, and that will appear as an option for any iOS device on the same Wifi network.

DISCO! Thanks.

As far as the iTunes Library problem, you can automatically have any music purchased from the iTunes store on the ATV3 if you login with the same account on there. If you have iTunes Match, this extends to any music; not just what was purchased from the store. It'll be available for streaming with no computer necessary. Movies purchased from iTunes are also available with no modifications. TV Shows I *think* are recently added to the availability list too.

Well that's awesome to hear because coincidentally, I opted into iTunes Match last night at 11:45pm without any research or prolonged buying process... which is rare for me.

Thanks again. I love this forum.

----------

The Remote App works off of iTunes Home Sharing. When you open the Remote App for the first time it will ask you for an Apple ID and password. As far as I'm aware, it does not necessarily need to be the same Apple ID that the rest of the phone is set up on. So even if your wife has a separate Apple ID, as long as she logs in to the Remote app with your ID, it should work.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the MacRumors forums. Just discovered them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.