Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eli727

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Atlanta
Any suggestions for another VPN program instead of Tunnelblick?

Upgraded to 10.8, Tunnelblick not working anymore (I downloaded the Tunnelblick Beta that is supposed to be 10.8 friendly...)

Thoughts? Need to be able to access my work servers at home.

Thank you!

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
Im using Viscosity with no problems. It does cost $10 US, but for me it is well worth it. I could never get TunnelBlick to detect a name server - always had to enter the IP address. I use it along with Chicken of the VNC.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Any suggestions for another VPN program instead of Tunnelblick?

Upgraded to 10.8, Tunnelblick not working anymore (I downloaded the Tunnelblick Beta that is supposed to be 10.8 friendly...)

Thoughts? Need to be able to access my work servers at home.

Thank you!

I'm not sure what the new version of TB is but v3.1.7 works for me in ML. As fickle as my VPN configuration is, I don't fix what isn't broke.

Before upgrading, I first copied all my keychain info form the old system to ML, then I copied the following files to ML (including the app):

Pasted-Graphic.jpg

TibookAktive

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Big +1 for viscosity. Been using it for a long while and they have updated for ML already. Works flawlessly with my StrongVPN account.

Cheap and very effective.

lpeedin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2011
No doubt TunnelBlick works for a lot of (most) folks, but no matter what we tried we could not get it to work with our name server. If I entered the IP address, no problem, but we do not have static addresses in our office.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Why not use the built in VPN client?
Because that one is PPTP or L2TP (IPSec or Cisco) only. Tunnelblick is an OS X OpenVPN client. OpenVPN is a VPN solution that uses SSL as security instead of things like IPSec or no security at all.

Viscosity is a good alternative for Tunnelblick. The current version is Mountain Lion compatible and is able to import Tunnelblick connections which makes migration very easy. Development also seems a lot faster than Tunnelblick. The VPN connections with Viscosity are very stable and quick. Only disadvantage I've seen is not having the option to run a script before disconnecting (you can have one after you've connected and one after you've disconnected which is definitely not what you want if you want to automate mounting and unmounting of network shares). DNS stuff works fine although I've seen better results when entering the DNS manually in the VPN settings.

rcorai

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Argentina
Hi,

Any good option for iOS?

I'm using Tunnelblick on my Mac and works great but I need to use something similar on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.