Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
In June, an ad agency got a hold of me because they were scouting talent for a Subaru commercial starring real owners doing real things. They saw my off road YouTube videos with my Subaru, and contacted me. A couple weeks later, I was on set, being the "talent" for this commercial. I'm not usually the type to get in front of a camera, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled to do it.

Amazing experience, and I was extremely happy with the outcome! Just aired earlier tonight on Discovery.

Last edited:

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Wow, it turned out great and you did a wonderful job. :)
I have a few questions: where was it shot, do you actually rock climb and is that also your voice?

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Wow, it turned out great and you did a wonderful job. :)
I have a few questions: where was it shot, do you actually rock climb and is that also your voice?

That was shot north of Santa Fe, NM at Ghost Ranch. It's private land where they shot a couple of movies (Indiana Jones, No Country for Old Men, Cowboys and Aliens, etc.)

Yes, that is my voice, and I do actually rock climb (and ice climb, hike, mountain bike, scramble, etc. I love adventure sports). Everything in the commercial is real. I was driving the car in all the shots, climbed, scrambled, etc. It was an absolute blast.

I was worried about how my voice would come out, being that we did the recording (which was me talking for 2 hours about my random adventures) at 7:00am in my hotel room with a ton of audio equipment. lol.

Last edited:

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Great insight into how a commercial is all fleshed out. How long did the driving/climbing aka action shots take? A week, a day, a few hours? Did they also mount a DSLR camera on your Subaru for that 'into the cabin' shot?
Thanks

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wow that's really neat! Congratulations :)

The commercial is really great - I like it!

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
what kind of subaru do you have? what year and model?

Great video btw!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.