Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and noticed every time I leave my iMac and it goes to sleep, the external hard drives eject. I get the pop-up stating they were improperly ejected. Anyone know how to stop this? Wasn't having any problems in Lion.

nzreg

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2009
I had just this problem with my Macmini and two identical WD external hard drives, one with two partitions kept ejecting and giving the unplugged message. I deleted the second partition and that fixed the problem.

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
Is it a network drive? I know that internet disconnects on ML which never happened in lion before.

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
If you cannot resolve your problem consider an App called Jettison (available in the Store) which gracefully ejects external drives before sleeps and then re-mounts them when you return.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Not a network drive. It's a LaCie external that's partitioned into two parts. Wish I could delete the second partition, but one is for important work items and the other is for Time Machine. Might give Jettison a go.

----------

Gah, reading reviews that the current version of Jettison doesn't work well with Mountain Lion. Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated!

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
If you cannot resolve your problem consider an App called Jettison (available in the Store) which gracefully ejects external drives before sleeps and then re-mounts them when you return.

Does it remount also when the ATV wakes the computer, i.e. not logging in as one would normally do?

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
After sleep my mounted network disks are gone - Mountain Lion. Have to re-mount them again. In Lion it was all fine. Will send a ticket to Apple - this is a bug.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
On mine as well. Sleep ejects the drives so well, the system cannot see them when it wakes.

Jettison has no affect on this and my backup software will no longer work as when it wakes the system the drives are gone.

Pretty serious defect.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have two external hard drives hooked to both my iMac and Mac-Mini. Not seen the eject after wake from sleep issue using Mountain Lion. I use firewire 800 connections. People having the issue what connections are you using? Wonder if a particular port is related to the issue (e.g. the second USB from the left, etc.).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have two external hard drives hooked to both my iMac and Mac-Mini. Not seen the eject after wake from sleep issue using Mountain Lion. I use firewire 800 connections. People having the issue what connections are you using? Wonder if a particular port is related to the issue (e.g. the second USB from the left, etc.).

I'm using USB 3.0

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Well, considering that OS X ejects all external drives when it goes to sleep. It makes sense that your external hard drive would eject.

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
My external drive (and others in this thread) works fine on Mountain Lion. However, it is not partitioned. I guess partitioned drives are where this bug is occurring.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
My external drive (and others in this thread) works fine on Mountain Lion. However, it is not partitioned. I guess partitioned drives are where this bug is occurring.

My drives are partitioned. I'm not going to repartition just to see it if it works. I don't that's it. I think it's a USB 3 issue.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

I can reproduce the problem every single time if I wake my computer by accessing the iTunes library from an iOS device. Waking it up from sleep and logging in sometimes remounts the drive, sometimes not. It's not partitioned.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I might be having a similar problem.

I have 2 drives in a new USB 3.0 dock. One of the drives has two partitions, the other one has one partition.

With the two partition drive in particular, I have one partition as a time machine backup. Often (but not always), when I go away for an extended period of time, Time Machine reports that it couldn't backup because it can't create a directory.

Looks like the drive was ejected. I get the message, "disk was improperly ejected".

I have the laptop set to never sleep.

For a while I thought it was the option to let the drives spin down. If I set that off, it seemed to fix the problem. But sometimes even with it set on, and the drive spun down, it works fine.

I've been off on a tangent thinking maybe the drive was overheating in the dock. I had the other drive eject as well even though it has one partition.

I put them back in their previous USB 2.0 case. I discovered using S.M.A.R.T. that the drives run even hotter there so that's likely not the cause of the problem.

So now I'm down to thinking its either a USB 3.0 issue with the Macbook Air or with Mountain Lion, or an issue with the USB 3.0 dock.

I also had a situation where USB communication suddenly stopped. The Macbook was still running, but if I ever asked any app to do anything with the file system, it would hang. Eventually the whole machine was hung and I had to hard power off.

SnifferUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
I am also having this problem on my headless Mac Mini which has 2 x FW800 drives attached. When it goes into idle sleep (not manual) the drives do not re-mount. In fact I have to manually power the drives off and back on again for even the Mini to see them again !

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Just an update:

10.8.1 does not fix this problem.

Also, the problem is related to hard drives connected through a hub. I have a USB 3.0 hub and according to plugable (the maker), ML does not properly interrogate the hub to determine that there are drives connected. This hub worked perfectly under Lion.

The apple forum has several threads on this issue with no clear idea when Apple will fix.

If I plug my drive directly into the computer it reconnects properly from sleep.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I'm having the same symptom with one particular USB drive on my new iMac with OS X 10.8.1. It does not make any difference whether the drive is connected directly or through a hub. I had no problem with this drive on my previous iMac with OS X 10.7

I opened a support case with Apple about this and have spent several hours talking with a senior advisor from Apple, trying this and that and that and this and sending them twice captured data from my computer. Nothing helps. I'm waiting since August 25 that Apple calls me back after having sent them another set of captured data.

eyedee

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
I've been having the exact same problem since purchasing a MBPr and a USB 3.0 Seagate 1TB external HDD a couple of weeks back. It's intermittent and not always the same. HDD plugged directly into MBPr with "Never Put Hard Disks to Sleep" seems to be the best configuration so far for the least amount of HD ejecting faults.

In general, whether I plug it into a 4 Port 'Trust' USB 3.0 Hub, or into the MBPr directly, it ejects on sleep and only sometimes mounts on wake. When it doesn't mount again I always get the "You didn't eject a device" nonsense on wake.

I've also returned to my machine whilst it's still fully awake, just a couple of times, to find the drive missing from the finder/desktop but no warning message re: ejecting the drive, and the physical HD still powered and spinning.

Other than the fact it's annoying and time wasting, I'm worried all this connecting and disconnecting malarky could do damage to the drive or the data before its time.

We're now at 10.8.2 and it's still a bug. Apple don't seem bothered by this - quite serious - issue with their OS! :(

sandiegoscott

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Happens occasionally with my new Mac Mini running Mountain Lion, external is a G-Drive mini powered by the Firewire connection, where it is daisy-chained off the G-Drive with my Time Machine. I will switch the order of the daisy chain so the mini drive is first and see if that makes any difference, though this seems to be a wider problem than could be explained by that.

=================

Okay, I switched the drives so the unpowered mini drive is first and the powered drive second. That's worse! Upon waking from sleep, both were ejected, where before only the mini drive was.

Next: get a power adaptor for the mini drive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.