Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
So, can we expect a USB 3.0 connection or a Thunderbolt one?
I'd love to connect my iPhone 5 via Thunderbolt and have almost instant backups and syncs.

Thunderbolt wouldn't be that good as the speed of syncing is limited by the read/write speed of the SSD used by Apple in the iOS devices

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
As long as parts are being made in a factory that they don't have 100% control over, things can and will leak.

Oh, no question about it, but maybe Tim shouldn't open up his mouth and say “We’re going to double down on secrecy on products.”

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
That looks like an active cable. I hope that means thunderbolt compatible! It would help explain Apple's decision to include two TB ports on the MBP-R (not that I was ever complaining about it). One for chain-able devices that are always plugged in and one for portable devices.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
looks pretty sturdy to me. The current dock connector isnt bad but this looks much more durable and unbreakable. micro usb is terrible between me and my gf we've broken like 3 juice pack airs. 1 came broken direct from mophie. the micro usb port is junk. maybe mophie will make a juice pack air with this same connector for charging....altho i doubt it im sure apple wont license it.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Very cute. :)

I know, right? Simply the most adorable little connector I've ever seen!

Even though it maybe doesn't look to be magsafe, just being reversible will make it a lot easier to insert.

8 gold pins + the outer metal surface will form a 9th ground pin. So it's a 9-pin connector.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
doubling up on security, lol pathetic

doubling up on security is not necessarily, NO "LEAKS" AT ALL, maybe these leaks coming from Apple itself, Why not to give one of the unsuccessful iPhone models, and you can steer people any other direction. :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So this site has a poor track record of leaks but we'll put their stuff on the front page cuz we know it will generate clicks. :rolleyes:

davida1

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Atlanta
Not complete

Definitely not complete, or just wrong. Modern connector design doesn't use exposed contacts, particularly with gold plating. Keep in mind the connector has a 5V 1A charging current.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I was hoping for a MagSafe style connector, though I guess people don't lay their phones charging around like they do laptops.

This has been pointed out before, but just to be safe, there is no point in a MagSafe connector on a device like a mobile phone. The purpose of the MagSafe was to avoid tripping over the cable and pulling the large expensive device along for the ride to the ground. The reason it won't work is that mobile phones aren't heavy enough to disconnect if you trip over the cable (and the cables are shorter anyway).

There is also the concern of interrupted data transfers, but personally that seems like a ridiculous reason to me as my phone (or even my flash drives) don't go too crazy if I unplug them mid transfer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.