Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
i called the apple support, they said they are legit.

I sent Tim a DM on twitter. He also says they're legit.

Also, if you buy the new iPhone before October 31st, it will include two free Ben & Jerries Ice Cream coupons!

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
So this site has a poor track record of leaks but we'll put their stuff on the front page cuz we know it will generate clicks. :rolleyes:

If it's a fake, it's a well made one - and I'm not saying it isn't a fake, but it notable enough and certainly deserves the rumor status required to be on this site.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
yeah but it seems a bit more leaks this time around. and more consistent leaks. but we will see if it is all for real.

yeah it does seem like a lot. I really wonder what Apple execs are thinking.

you think they're like "we need to find the source of these leaks! get me on the phone with the head of Foxconn!"

or like "meh, they still don't know everything about it."

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Couldn't they use both usb 3 and thunderbolt (since usb can transfer over thunderbolt, although thunderbolt cannot transfer over usb). So essentially two options usb 3 and thunderbolt (for macs). Thunderbolt would be more of an adapter like cable with new iOS Dock Connector on one end and thunderbolt on other.

I know they at one time had USB and Firewire support which ended up being a joke, so I imagine if you want the thunderbolt you'd have to pony up the cash for an extra adapter, but I'm sure they would sell as much thunderbolt to iOS as they would thunderbolt to FireWire 800.

LoraoTX

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
doubling up on security, lol pathetic

Ahhh it never gets old. This wouldn't be a forum if it didn't carry on with this quote!:rolleyes: /sarcasm :eek:

The mods should make a sub-forum dedicated for the people who constaintly come here to say the same exact phrases... 'If Steve was alive ... blah blah blah' .. 'Its not the iPhone 5, its iPhone 6! ... blah blah blah' ... 'But Tim said he was doubling down on security ... blah blah blah' EVERYONE WINS!

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I wonder if it's compatible with micro USB for charging. Looks about the right size, and it would allow them to be compliant with the EU mandate without an adaptor.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
honestly

I hate when these stupid parts are leaked they provide nothing but nonsensical news to the inter webs.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Ahhh it never gets old. This wouldn't be a forum if it didn't carry on with this quote!:rolleyes: /sarcasm :eek:

The mods should make a sub-forum dedicated for the people who constaintly come here to say the same exact phrases... 'If Steve was alive ... blah blah blah' .. 'Its not the iPhone 5, its iPhone 6! ... blah blah blah' ... 'But Tim said he was doubling down on security ... blah blah blah' EVERYONE WINS!

They do. Its called the wasteland :rolleyes:

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Size, power requirement, expense, limited compatibility. Other than those tiny issues, sure, why not?

Why? Just to needlessly add cost?

... Although I agree with your points, I think it could help thunderbolt adoption. Might be a risk worth taking to help ensure it becomes more of a standard than proprietary apple port. And with it being more of an 'intel' technology than an 'apple' technology, more and more manufactures could hop on board quicker than firewire or ilink.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Doubling up would actually make more sense, since doubling down implies twice the risk.

But the term comes from "doubling down" in Blackjack. It's come to mean either betting more, or investing more on some idea/project/whatever.

Doubling down is still the right term. Even here, doubling down on security is a risk, since you might not get your money's worth out of the extra time/money/effort.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
It looks like this could be a MagSafe style connector.

Sure, because if you trip over a charging cable that's charging an iphone, the sheer weight of the iphone will allow the cable to be pulled out before flinging the phone to the floor.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Definitely not complete, or just wrong. Modern connector design doesn't use exposed contacts, particularly with gold plating. Keep in mind the connector has a 5V 1A charging current.

The Lion USB key has exposed contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.